Measuring voltage out of LOC

Participant count
  • Participant list

hdcary11

CarAudio.com Newbie
Need help with a line out converter please

I really need help. First of all everything works so it’s wired correctly.

2007 Camry, stock radio w/o JBL.

I have a 4 channel Pioneer amp installed using a PAC Audio 4 channel line out converter (triple checked it is wired correctly).

Amp takes a 6v line level input, when I measure the speaker wire before it goes into the LOC I get .9 AC volts at 75% volume playing a 1000hz tone.

I can not get a reading on the LOC output to properly adjust the input to the amp.

I’ve used 3 different LOC, triple check the wiring & tried to measure output with probes directly into the LOC & off a old stripped RCA & got nothing on all 3 different LOC.

How do I know how much voltage I’m actually putting in my amp since it only takes 6v?

I don’t want to turn the LOC halfway & then just guess how high to turn the gain on the amp. Trying to things correctly here but what am I doing wrong?

I tried setting it by ear but I always get the gains too high & it starts to clip & amp goes into protection. Should the LOC be turned 20%, 25%, 30%? If I turn the LOC up 50% then how much to I turn my gain on my amp to get the 6.5v required?

I know buying a new deck would fix the problem but didn’t want to do that. Like I said, everything works but it could work better if I can get it calibrated.

Thank you for you help in this mind altering frustration I currently have.

Trying to use a factory deck and loc is like wearing lead shoes in the 50yd dash, Grab a HU and do it right for the love of...
Decks nowadays are cheap and full of features... the 1st thing you'll see is cleaner signal. Actual line level outputs with a preamp section behind it.
I got 3 old HU on the shelf a 2V Kenwood, Pioneer and Jvc... too bad you're 120 mi away or I'd help you out cheaply. But its a moot point. I purchased a Jvc X350bts for like $70 from Crutchfield and the harness adapters and dash kit came with it for free so there's no reason to keep trying to use a pos loc.

Loc's... lol... Quit cheaping out

Fortunately he’s got an 07, so upgrading shouldn’t be too bad. Un-fortunately for myself with a 16 ram and alpine system, “being cheap” isn’t the issue. 8.4” touch screen unit, and backup camera, etc.... upgrading to a comparable unit plus adding harnesses for steering controls.... I have a pac LP72 LOC for my dc level 4. The only option for doors was a T harness with another LOC, but I tapped the high level input and went that route. So yes, we will agree to disagree on the LOC being junk. They have their place. For the OP, my gain 100% on my pac gives me 1.1v for my md5000.1, taramps only requires 220mv. So from their I tuned my amp but using tuning tools it’s still mildly distorted(unsure if it’s the taramps dirty power or alpine head unit)

I’m not sure how useable it is to you, but netaudio offers an loc with a wavtech(spell?) unit which actually ups the rca voltage up to 10v. Might want to look into it sir.

Attachments

• C4D82613-267D-40F9-A9F8-5497E9AD1EF8.jpeg
    C4D82613-267D-40F9-A9F8-5497E9AD1EF8.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 168
And do you know how to measure voltage after the LOC to see what the amp is getting?

Attachments

• 7ABE282A-4238-4EEB-9963-A1720FE57B5D.png
    7ABE282A-4238-4EEB-9963-A1720FE57B5D.png
    206 KB · Views: 512
And do you know how to measure voltage after the LOC to see what the amp is getting?
Yep did this over 10 times with 3 LOC & 2 different meters & can’t get a voltage reading. I’m on the correct meter setting, touching the probes correctly & her absolutely nothing.

Says dude with a keyboard
Sure Wilbur
Says someone with a **** ton of experience.
That ram is about the least audio friendly vehicle I've run across since an Opel Gt.
And 5k on a Dc lvl4 in a Foxacoustics abortion?

Meanwhile your giving "advice" to someone about using a loc?

Whats this forum become?

IF you HAVE the knowledge then YOU give dude advice. Re read my post. I never gave any advice or what to do. The clowns on here that will bash people for what they have, not give knowledge on experience or suggest what they SHOULD have. Clearly the approach of hey that’s junk wouldn’t keep a business open(since you should clearly open one) very long. Fox acoustics is junk, netaudio is junk blah blah but is gatley junk too since he’s prefab? Sounds like you have beef against prefab. Fox has the MOST cf for an under seat..... fact.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.