MDF vs. Particle Board

Originally posted by violator5spd well that's my question...how big of a difference would there be if you build a box with either of these 2 substances? is mdf alot better than particle board? thanks in advance
if you had the choice, go with mdf. no question about it. im not 100% sure why its better than particle board, but im sure its a lot stronger and what not.

I made two ported boxes, one out of both. There was no audible difference that i could tell. I would say, go with w/e is cheapeast or most readily available.

Particle board is sawdust/wood scraps joined together with glue.

MDF is sawdust/wood scraps joined together with synthetic resin and bonded by heat.

MDF is undoubtedly better, but unless you're going to be putting a lot of pressure on the material, you could probably get by with particle board, although I wouldn't recommend it. The synthetic resin/heat combination provides a much sturdier material which results in less flexing.

Particle Board is more brittle and splits and screws strip in it easier.. MDF is much more dense and put together better (smaller parts, better bonding stuff)..

If you aren't gonna run MDF, my next suggestion would be 3/4" plywood, not particle board.. but do as you feel you need..

Originally posted by Savant Particle Board is more brittle and splits and screws strip in it easier.. MDF is much more dense and put together better (smaller parts, better bonding stuff)..

If you aren't gonna run MDF, my next suggestion would be 3/4" plywood, not particle board.. but do as you feel you need..
plywood is even more expensive and presents a huge problem with trying to screw into an end. Dont mess around with any other stuff, just use MDF.

well i asked because i already got one made out of particle board for free, 1.75cu.ft per sub, so it's already together - i just went around the inside and sealed it some more.

Originally posted by violator5spd well i asked because i already got one made out of particle board for free, 1.75cu.ft per sub, so it's already together - i just went around the inside and sealed it some more.
if you decide to use it, make sure you brace it....a lot....

isn't it kinda difficult to brace a box when it's already put together? i mean, you wanna have a piece go from one side to the other...but i can't get it in there since the hole's already cut.

if the drivers are feed enough power the box could litterally explode, or implode (dependant on which phase the driver is in when it breaks). I have seen them blow first hand, and it is not pretty. But in the same respect, lower end subs tend to work almost the same in particle board.

A properly constructed particle board box under 2.0 cu ft will not give you a problem.

Larger boxes above 2.0 cu ft I would suggest using 3/4 mdf. volume above 4.5 cu ft I would suggest 1" MDF

I built a box that was 2.4 cu ft per chamber out of mdf and Particle board.

With the same design and same number of screws I did not find an audible notice.

At Lowes 3/4 mdf was 16.98 and 3/4 particle board was 8.98.

I find Mdf a little easier to work with if you are going to want/need a nice clean finished edge. Particle board will seem to break apart with a router bit.

With Mdf I have coated it with paint, bed liner coatings and fiberglass. The MDF will give a nice clean surface to apply.

For the most part I build most boxes from 3/4 particle board. A local factory makes display press on a finished surface with different pattarns (like countertops) So they are very stong and sometimes finished.

When using particle board take time to get the countersinking bit centered, to reduce the chipping from particle board

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.