Match dsp/amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

mwe-maxxowner
10+ year member

I want to purchase a Match PP82DSP 8 channel dsp/amp.

But, I do not want to purchase a helix sub. Supposedly it is only for use with a helix brand sub, and the rear channels aren't bridgeable, and have to be used with a special harness and sub.

My question, does it HAVE to be used with a helix sub? Has anyone used it with any old sub? I want to use a JL 8w1v2. They also have a 5 channel, and channel 5 supports regular subs, but then I'm restricted to passive crossovers for my tweeters. I'd rather have active and be able to time adjust them.

Thanks!

That came from Crutchfield support.

But, it seems apparent that it is not bridgeable. And the wattage from a single channel isn't enough to do much with my sub. I think.

From Crutchfield

You presented an excellent question. After doing some research on that amp, it looks like channels E-H are wired on a separate harness to accommodate a subwoofer. However, they are only designed to work with select Helix subwoofers ( 10E-D or PP8E-Q). This amp is not designed to accommodate any aftermarket subs though. I completely understand what you are wanting. I wish this amp could do it for you. I do think that the power output of the 5 channel would be able to move the speakers that you have well. The Match amps are certainly a breed of their own.

It seems, with a helix amp, it is actually able to use channels e-h to drive a single sub.

The truck I'm in now is a 2016 f150 crew cab. But still the same speakers as my signature. I want to be able to control my front mid woofers, front tweeters, rear components, and my sub.

Now, if you guys tell me I won't tell much difference between running my rear speakers off the stock head unit, then allowing me to run tweeters and mids in the front still all on the amp independently, then I might buy the match 5 channel and never look back. As long as the 35w RMS was sufficient for my Focal 130 a1 speakers.

But I keep thinking I will still want my rear door speakers on an amp to clean them up. Maybe just using a better speaker than stock will be fine, though. Since they are just for fill.

I'm not interested in that at all. I already have all the speakers I want to use. I'll use what I have and an audio control lc6i before I buy all that.

Or just go with high level input on my amp.

Can anybody confirm that the 8 channel match will or won't work with regular subs?
From page 15 of the manual "For the latter case a connector with flying leads is included in delivery of the PP 82DSP." and page 22 "subwoofer with dual voice-coil (ideally 2 x 2 Ohms)" It looks like it will work with "regular subs" but not SVC subs in bridged mode like yours.

So if I do wire it in bridged, it will work? Because I also contemplated picking one more up, and wiring two to one channel at a 2 ohm load. That would send 75 watts, which would be good. I had one wired to 75 watts in my old truck and gain set at about 3/4.

So if I do wire it in bridged, it will work? Because I also contemplated picking one more up, and wiring two to one channel at a 2 ohm load. That would send 75 watts, which would be good. I had one wired to 75 watts in my old truck and gain set at about 3/4.
After looking at the PP8EQ I don't think they are bridging the channels. The PP8EQ has four 3Ω coils. They are probably running two coils in parallel on each channel for a 1.5Ω load and a small boost in power over a 2Ω load. If you get a second subwoofer just wire it to it's own channel, when you wire it in parallel it lowers the impedance but it also splits the power so each sub would only get 35W. Really, if you just have to have that amp your best option is to find a DVC sub with 2Ω coils. Honestly though, that whole Match system seems gimmicky and unimpressive, the only advantage it has is the built in DSP, you would be better off getting a second slash amp and a stand alone DSP or getting two of the new AudioControl D-4.800 amp DSP combos.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.