Massive S**T!!

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
I installed these a few days ago. I have run them gently and they sound great. Today I look over because my soundstage sounds shifted to the left and I see the tweeter looks deformed. I put my reading glasses on and take a closer look the surround has moved and allowed the dome to cock a little bit and now it makes no sound. Luckily I hadn't removed my Alpine's yet so 3 minutes with the speaker wires and I was back in the treble game. I don't know why that tweeter **** the bed but it s ucks cause it sounded better than the Alpine's. Why did it blow?

20200322-214100-HDR.jpg

What is your theory as to why it blew? I really haven't fed the pair any volume to speak of that would fry them. They are crossed over at 4.5Khz and are attenuated pretty drastically. I am confused.
It's possible you got a defect due to the cheap QA on them but more than likely you overdrove them because you can't hear the clipping/distortion. Are you sure they're crossed properly?

It's possible you got a defect due to the cheap QA on them but more than likely you overdrove them because you can't hear the clipping/distortion. Are you sure they're crossed properly?
Yes, double and triple checked in the DSP. The Alpine on that side of the car is fine... same crossover now and same power. When I say they are attenuated I mean in the DSP from 20K - 10k I have each frequency on the EQ sloping down from 10k to 20k looks like a gentle hill sloping down to 20khz. In my head unit the highs are further EQ'd down from like 8K to 16K in a similar fashion. To comment on not hearing the distortion... I heard nothing. No clue that the tweeter was in trouble. I wish I had a DD-1 to borrow.

I have bumped the knobs for the DSP with my knee a few times and it would switch presets but nothing dramatic has ever happened. No shorts. I make sure any exposed copper for wires and cable are specific lengths and have no stray strands. I may be just overdriving them. I will back the gain down a bit and see if I have any further issues. Perhaps U.S. Acoustics lies about their "rms" power and in reality the 100 x 4 is 150 x 4. sunsabitches lol.

It just occurred to me. The 3Sixty.3 said my head unit is clean up to volume 36 out of 40. Last night I bumped the volume button on the head unit and it said 39 so I turned it down to 36 and gave it no further thought. It was my fault wasn't it? I blew the tweeter didn't I?

A short increase in power won't blow it, it really depends on a lot of factors but I wouldn't be surprised if you were overdriving it. Those tiny tweeters really shouldn't be getting more than 50-75w rms.

A short increase in power won't blow it, it really depends on a lot of factors but I wouldn't be surprised if you were overdriving it. Those tiny tweeters really shouldn't be getting more than 50-75w rms.
I figured I was safe because they stated they are 60wrms. HOWEVER... I have no clue how much power I am sending them because I lack the proper gear (DD-1). So... I am either going to get an amp with built in clip indicators or a DD-1.

Any suggestions on high power tweeters that even a moron like me would have a hard time blowing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.