Speaker selection help - 1993 Mustang

Participant count
  • Participant list

david22585

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey everyone, I'm an idiot when it comes to car audio and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on my 1993 Mustang. The car has the "premium" sound system with dash speakers. I'm having trouble in speaker selections from Best Buy. Here is the info for the car:

• 6 speaker system, 2 dash, 2 door, 2 rear.
  • Dash speakers and Door speakers are wired in together from the factory. The factory had a simple amp that is pretty much useless.
  • Dash speakers are 3.5", door speakers are 5 1/4", rear are 5x7 but a 6x8 fits.
  • Head unit is basic with 4x50W RMS.
  • No plans to add an amp, just looking to improve the audio some from the factory speakers.
Where I'm having sound troubles is that since the head unit has 4 channels with a 50W per channel max, and the door and dash speakers are wired together, I've read that it can cause issues with the radio and overloading it. I've also read to install bass blockers into the dash speakers as well, so looking for input on that as well. I'm not sure if I should have each channel speaker monomial output at 50W or above or as close to 50W as I can. For example, for the front channels since there are 2 speakers on each channel, should I do 35W in the door and 15W for the dash, or would 2 that add up above 50 be ok? All the speakers I've also seen are 4 ohms each, not sure how that plays into it as well since I'm a moron with audio.

Also, the factory front speakers seem to have a tweeter in the center as well. Not sure if that makes a difference for what kind of speakers and selection I should be looking for as well.

Thanks!

So nice to see a car I am familiar with and have worked on. My best advice is to run the rear 6x8's and the front 5.25's. I would not run the 3.5" in the dash. Now, since all you are wanting to do is upgrade the sound and not add an amplifier I would run JBL or Infinity speakers... the 2ohm speakers. This will pull more power from your head unit and will be louder than 4 ohm speakers. I know the rear speakers mount to the grill itself from behind... don't worry about a large magnet as the two pieces of metal behind the speaker forming a seam can be cut and folded to allow a much larger magnet without hurting the car or ever being seen. If you run two or 3-way speakers, you will never miss the 3.5 dash speakers.

So nice to see a car I am familiar with and have worked on. My best advice is to run the rear 6x8's and the front 5.25's. I would not run the 3.5" in the dash. Now, since all you are wanting to do is upgrade the sound and not add an amplifier I would run JBL or Infinity speakers... the 2ohm speakers. This will pull more power from your head unit and will be louder than 4 ohm speakers. I know the rear speakers mount to the grill itself from behind... don't worry about a large magnet as the two pieces of metal behind the speaker forming a seam can be cut and folded to allow a much larger magnet without hurting the car or ever being seen. If you run two or 3-way speakers, you will never miss the 3.5 dash speakers.

Any reason to eliminate the dash speakers? Just looking to learn some here too. None of the speakers I have access to at Best Buy in store are 2 ohm either, only 4 ohm. I'm not looking for the highest quality, just looking to improve. The exhaust pretty much drowns out the radio as is right now. Single turbo, almost single digit race/street fun car. Also, the radio is going to end up being like a Joying Android head unit, so it won't have the highest output either.

I was thinking these for the rear: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...nes-pair-yellow-black/6333349.p?skuId=6333349

These for the front door: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...nes-pair-yellow-black/6333350.p?skuId=6333350

Any reason to eliminate the dash speakers? Just looking to learn some here too. None of the speakers I have access to at Best Buy in store are 2 ohm either, only 4 ohm. I'm not looking for the highest quality, just looking to improve. The exhaust pretty much drowns out the radio as is right now. Single turbo, almost single digit race/street fun car. Also, the radio is going to end up being like a Joying Android head unit, so it won't have the highest output either.

I was thinking these for the rear: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...nes-pair-yellow-black/6333349.p?skuId=6333349

These for the front door: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker...nes-pair-yellow-black/6333350.p?skuId=6333350
No real reason to delete or omit the 3.5" dash speakers other than if you use coaxials in the rear and doors that is 4+ tweeters. You COULD do as suggested above and run components in the doors and mount the tweeters in the 3.5" dash locations... Got any pics of your Fox Body?

Hey everyone, I'm an idiot when it comes to car audio and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on my 1993 Mustang. The car has the "premium" sound system with dash speakers. I'm having trouble in speaker selections from Best Buy. Here is the info for the car:

• 6 speaker system, 2 dash, 2 door, 2 rear.
  • Dash speakers and Door speakers are wired in together from the factory. The factory had a simple amp that is pretty much useless.
  • Dash speakers are 3.5", door speakers are 5 1/4", rear are 5x7 but a 6x8 fits.
  • Head unit is basic with 4x50W RMS.
  • No plans to add an amp, just looking to improve the audio some from the factory speakers.
Where I'm having sound troubles is that since the head unit has 4 channels with a 50W per channel max, and the door and dash speakers are wired together, I've read that it can cause issues with the radio and overloading it. I've also read to install bass blockers into the dash speakers as well, so looking for input on that as well. I'm not sure if I should have each channel speaker monomial output at 50W or above or as close to 50W as I can. For example, for the front channels since there are 2 speakers on each channel, should I do 35W in the door and 15W for the dash, or would 2 that add up above 50 be ok? All the speakers I've also seen are 4 ohms each, not sure how that plays into it as well since I'm a moron with audio.

Also, the factory front speakers seem to have a tweeter in the center as well. Not sure if that makes a difference for what kind of speakers and selection I should be looking for as well.

Thanks!
I can help you get your car right .. I use to own an 87 Mustang
. So I know the cars very well.. I have over 100 first place trophies in USACi and IASCA so if you want your car set of the best way possible pm me .. I've probably worked on about 50 of these cars including mine for other people as well in winning system designs ... from simple to basic...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.