Massive S**T!!

-6 on tweet channels, -3 on mids then set substage to 0db is what I'd do for a set of 30w neo tweeters, 75w ferrite mids and a big ol' sub (0db set)... lots of adjustment left, hard to clip and attenuation will save your smaller speakers.
Your crossovers and gains work together to attenuate what the speakers "see"...
Ima noob at this but I'd set crossovers a bit high then dial it in if it was me... your speaker install/capabilities/aiming-staging should be the limiting factor regarding response and breakup. X-over points matter... just throw out the manufacturer "wishlist" regarding resopnse and start high then see what works for you.
My .02

Last edited:
After I stopped at the bank I went next door to the car audio store I worked at back in 2000 - 2002ish. I spoke to them about my tweeter blowing escapades and we discussed a few options. Basically I am going to SLIGHTLY back my gain down on the Barbara Ann for the tweeter channels. I was told my crossover points and slopes are just fine for tweeters. I then purchased some new tweeters from them. The ones I am going to use first and a set of less expensive tweeters for back up. Both sets are soft domes.

First set is the Arc Audio - Arc 1.0 - I will use these first.
Backup set are DD T2a's.

20200413-141434-HDR.jpg

Going back to "active/passive" 3-way. I went back to the audio store because they said to bring in the DD 2.75" mids to see what the problem was. They determined they were not blown but the glue around the dust cap broke free/loose. They replaced them for me on the spot and gave me these crossovers to try out. So I am going to run the Silverflutes off the rear channels like normal and won't mess with their settings except to lower the upper crossover range in the DSP. I will run the DD 2.75" and DD T2a's off the front channels into each crossover then to each speaker (mid/twt). They told me I could have crossed the DD 2.75" as low as 200hz. I told them I had them at like 700hz and up. They said I should be fine with my current gain setting for the front to go into the crossovers and that the passive crossovers will handle the mid/twt from there. So 80w to the SF midbass and 50w to the actively and passively crossed over mid's/twt's.

20200413-171110-HDR1.jpg

I figured I was safe because they stated they are 60wrms. HOWEVER... I have no clue how much power I am sending them because I lack the proper gear (DD-1). So... I am either going to get an amp with built in clip indicators or a DD-1.

Any suggestions on high power tweeters that even a moron like me would have a hard time blowing?
Boss tw12 on ebay or Autozone. An Fosgate Type rf X3 burned out my Blues Audio (pre Linear Power) tweeters. To hold me over, I bought these TW12s at Autozone. I was surprised at how well they blended with the Blues midranges. I honestly can say that they rivaled the original ones. Buuut, the x3 burned those out as well. Ended up removing the x3 for an Audio Art and ribbon tweeters I had been saving for another build. Btw, that x3 has a dsp built into it. I always wondered if that was the cause of my woes. 🤔

I only got one door done. It got dark and the skeeters were biting. That tweeter is quiet as it should be with my current EQ settings. I did a side by side so to speak listening to each door. The one with the "Alpine tweeter" is still very bright. This tweeter is much more natural. Tomorrow I will do the passenger door the same way.

Sub is crossed over at 90hz
Midbass is crossover 90hz - 800hz
Mid is crossed over at 800hz into the Arc passive crossover and the Arc tweeter is set in the passive crossover at 0db.

20200414-195707-HDR.jpg

20200414-200408-HDR.jpg

I only got one door done. It got dark and the skeeters were biting. That tweeter is quiet as it should be with my current EQ settings. I did a side by side so to speak listening to each door. The one with the "Alpine tweeter" is still very bright. This tweeter is much more natural. Tomorrow I will do the passenger door the same way.

Sub is crossed over at 90hz
Midbass is crossover 90hz - 800hz
Mid is crossed over at 800hz into the Arc passive crossover and the Arc tweeter is set in the passive crossover at 0db.

20200414-195707-HDR.jpg

20200414-200408-HDR.jpg
Nice set up. That Digital Designs mid looks nice. I have never had a three way set up. I actually cross my subs at 250 hz. I've been told this is stupid but it sounds great to my ears. The subs have an aluminum dust cap so they can play those frequencies all day. I have mostly old school amps that have x-over defeat and use a variable passive x-over pre amp for the subs. My highs I use the passive ones. Blends just nicely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.