Magna *** Laude Build

No silly, not what molarity is, what molarity 30% concentration of HCl is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Haha read it too quickly. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

That's still deceiving. I'm betting that it's mass since you cannot have HCl(liquid) at Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP). You'd have to greatly increase the pressure, or greatly decrease the temperature to do so. Here's my logic:

30% by mass = .3g HCl / 1g H2O

MW of HCl = 36.46g

.3g HCl * (1 mol / 36.46g) = .00823 mol HCl

Molarity = mol solute / liter solvent

1g H2O = 1mL H2O (density is 1g/mL)

Thus

Molarity = .00823 mol HCl / 1 mL H2O ; but molarity is mol solute/L solvent so.. by a slight conversion factor (multiply by 1000)

8.23M HCl solution at 30% concentration by mass.

That seems pretty possible since we work with 16M sulfuric and nitric acids at Butler, and they start fuming at that concentration. 8.23M can definitely do some damage.

On a side note, using molarity vs molality to determine whether or not the % concentration is by mass or volume isn't the best method. Almost all concentrations will be in molarity since the only reason why you would need to use molality is analyzing freezing point depressions and boiling point elevations when you add salts to a solvent (for instance, the reason for salting the roads in Indiana, is to decrease the freezing point. Doing so allows the water on the road to become colder before freezing, and stops ice creation). By using molality (where you have only masses, no volumes) you allow the calculation to become temperature independent, since we all know density depends on temperature.

Here's a trick question. How badly would it hurt to pour 100% (by mass) HCl on your hand?

Just a guess that it wouldn't, since it's a lighter than air gas and would rise and evaporate? Might burn your eyes/lungs though.
Pretty much, yeah, your mucous membranes would be affected since they are typically damp and the HCl would "dissolve" in the fluid that coats the membranes. Without water, HCl is pretty much harmless to humans.

Y'all are such nerds. Coming from an EE student, that's bad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.