LPF based off Fs

doesnt the Fs change as the woofer breaks in?
Yes. There is a difference in Fs and other factors before and after break in. Now, I need to clarify, that what the OP is referring to is not for low pass filtering, but for hiigh pass filtering of the mid range to sub crossover frequency. For instance, to find the crossover point of sub and mids, its not the Fs of the sub, but the Fs of the mids, because they operate more in an IB setup or free air setup compared to the controlled gain of a subwoofer enclosure where many more variables exists of greater importance than base frequency. So, if the mids have an Fs of say 60Hz, then for a 24dB/octave should be at the quarter octave point of 75Hz for the crossover. And at 90Hz for a 12dB/octave slope. That was the proper analysis of this basic formula and can obiously be changed depending on listener preference. It is merely a starting point as most general formulas are, but works as a great difinitive solution to any system as it stands.

Another example would be mid to high where if the HF base of the tweeters are at 2kHz and a 24dB/octave was used, then the crossover point would be 2500Hz for both crossovers and 3kHz for 12dB/octave.

^^^Thanks for clarifying I admit confusion on my part. Mobile was trying to help me set HPF and I thought we were still talking substage, so thats how I wound up confused and looking for help. I'm actually kinda happy this confused me because I spent hours looking up research on the matter online and how have a pretty good understanding of how to build my own crossovers for mids/tweets, and now when I see a crossover that says butterworth or riley linkwitz I have a better understanding of what they're talking about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.