Lows dont sound good

Heh, here in the states, length of the port would be the longest pieces....in your case it's 35.75 Gotta be tuned pretty low. But I think you said 32Hz.
Have you got any suggestions for me on extending the port externally. How much to add on?

Have you got any suggestions for me on extending the port externally. How much to add on?
How much to add on will determine your new "tuning" of the port.

I cannot help you with that....as I don't know how to design enclosures, just build them. I don't have the proper tools that others' on here have.

I think the box is on the small side. You can try to tune alittle lower but uts hard to say without seeing a response graph or hearing it.
I went by the specs of the aa mayhem site. 39.5 x 45x 18.75.

I thought it was a huge box. 14cuft.

Weighs a ton...

I might just start experimenting with a few port add ons and see which sound best.

If that dont work out the way i planned.... then im going to wall it.

Or 4th or 6th order.

Have no idea how to start on that but im sure i can get some advice from all you ppl.

You guys have helped me loads already. Very greatful

Hey guys,
So i finished building my install finally. And been enjoying it for about a week now.

BUT..... the lower note songs dont sound as good as i had hoped. Moves some air... not as much as i had hoped.

Now im wondering is it because of my box? Is it because of the car? Is it my amp settings?

Subsonic is at around 20hz.

Box tuned to 33hz.

What advice can you give me on making lows sound a bit better?

2x18mayhems

On 7k rms.

I dont see any voltage drop below 13.2volts.
I have an idea but it's just that an idea and I'm sure someone on here can tell me/u if it's wrong or not. I wonder if it's possible to not have voltage drops below the 13.2 but still not have enough power going to ur amps? Seems to me that running 7k that u would need batterys and bigger ho alternator(s). Which I don't think u mentioned. What kind of electrical upgrades do u have? Because if the answer is none then that's ur problem imo

I have an idea but it's just that an idea and I'm sure someone on here can tell me/u if it's wrong or not. I wonder if it's possible to not have voltage drops below the 13.2 but still not have enough power going to ur amps? Seems to me that running 7k that u would need batterys and bigger ho alternator(s). Which I don't think u mentioned. What kind of electrical upgrades do u have? Because if the answer is none then that's ur problem imo
I have a rewound alternator. Originally 140amps. Now after getting rewound is 200amps.

600ah worth of agm batteries.

I dont see any voltage drops below 13v.

Big 3 done obviously.

My gain is set to headunits (4v) voltage output at 59.1volts.

The thing is with the lows they dont sound good. The woofers move alot. But the actual sound is not nice. I avoid songs with low hz. My boot/ trunk of my station moves rediculously.

I dont know how i can avoid the boot door from flexing that much.

If i were to build another enclosure for these subs then i will want to do it properly and go wall/ or 4th or 6th order.

I have heard they are really hard to build and design. So dont want to rush into it to quickly without knowing what to do.

Its not uncommon for an 18 to use 7 or 8 cubes.Check your settings. Are they still very stiff?
I wouldnt know how stiff the subs are supposed to be.... i have never owned serious subs like this before so wouldnt know what to compare them to.

My previous systems were, alpine type rs. And pioneer subs. So nothing to the level of the mayhems.

I wouldnt know how stiff the subs are supposed to be.... i have never owned serious subs like this before so wouldnt know what to compare them to.
My previous systems were, alpine type rs. And pioneer subs. So nothing to the level of the mayhems.
Make a lil video of the playing something low.

Like lil jon get low.

I have a rewound alternator. Originally 140amps. Now after getting rewound is 200amps.600ah worth of agm batteries.

I dont see any voltage drops below 13v.

Big 3 done obviously.

My gain is set to headunits (4v) voltage output at 59.1volts.

The thing is with the lows they dont sound good. The woofers move alot. But the actual sound is not nice. I avoid songs with low hz. My boot/ trunk of my station moves rediculously.

I dont know how i can avoid the boot door from flexing that much.

If i were to build another enclosure for these subs then i will want to do it properly and go wall/ or 4th or 6th order.

I have heard they are really hard to build and design. So dont want to rush into it to quickly without knowing what to do.
might be better if you tell us how the lows actually sound like other than "doesnt sound good" or "sound is not nice" be descriptive and specific. Sounds like you have them out of phase if they cant play properly but move like crazy

might be better if you tell us how the lows actually sound like other than "doesnt sound good" or "sound is not nice" be descriptive and specific. Sounds like you have them out of phase if they cant play properly but move like crazy
Yea either out of phase or playing to far below tuning and just unloading and no noise really coming from them.

I would guess below tuning

If your hatch is moving that much maybe you are just loosing too much pressure down low

Try bracing hatch roof and doors

Discribing the sound is not easy. I will make a video tomorrow sometime. And post in youtube and copy the link in. Maybe i did something wrong and im just not seeing it. Maybe the enclosure is not good enough.

Thnx for the tips guys.

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Make a lil video of the playing something low.Like lil jon get low.
Ill shoot a vid tomorrow sometime. And post the link.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.