Low rca pre out voltage?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bucknasty69

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently replaced my jvc kd-x50 with pioneer avh 3500nex and in my setup head unit runs through dayton audio dsp408 then to nvx vadm4 for highs nvx jad800.4 for mids and nvx vad 2700.1 for 2 vcw12 subs. I have upgraded to 350 amp alternator and done big 4 upgrade with all nvx 1/0 ofc cable also used same for power run to amps and ground. The power and ground are ran through nvx xcap10 capacitor which has built in distro block. So my problem is that after installing pioneer head unit I was getting no sound except a very muted subwoofer rumble. So I started checking signal path and at the head unit I'm only getting .5 to .6 volts ac at all of the rca pre outs at full volume when specs say 6 volt pre outs. I messed around with it until I was ready to burn the whole thing so I finally gave up and put my jvc back in and now that thing is doing the same. It tests at about .25 to .27 volts ac at full volume and is supposed to be 2 volt pre outs and again get very muted subwoofer and absolutely nothing from mids or highs. I am at a loss can someone please help me understand wtf is happening

Do you have a spare 12v battery you can hook the radios up to? What source from the radio are you playing music with?
Yes I have a spare battery and I was playing the test tones through Bluetooth on my phone. I also checked the amps separately with a nvx xtgsp2 tone generator/polarity tester and they all worked. Now I find that the amp remote turn on is putting out 0 volts dc on pioneer head unit. I'm thinking I should have just well enough alone as everything was working perfectly before I tried to upgrade with the pioneer head unit. Lol

Yes I have a spare battery and I was playing the test tones through Bluetooth on my phone. I also checked the amps separately with a nvx xtgsp2 tone generator/polarity tester and they all worked. Now I find that the amp remote turn on is putting out 0 volts dc on pioneer head unit. I'm thinking I should have just well enough alone as everything was working perfectly before I tried to upgrade with the pioneer head unit. Lol

Did you try any other source besides your bluetooth?

If your now getting the same problem with both the old and new HU then I don't think the problem is anything to do with the head units themselves.
Your getting a muted sound through the sub so that means that the amp is at the very least powering up.
So I would think that the problem is somewhere in the wires or the dsp or your whatever your streaming from.
Get a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable and plug it into a phone or an MP3 player and then directly into the amps and then start working your way backwards until you find the problem.

So you measured RCA voltage straight out the headunit before entering the DSP and its still low? Then I would guess you have the subwoofer level on the headunits too low.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.