Lovin' this 4th order

Yeah... I'm sure the coils are getting a little warm with me at the helm. But they're hangin tough and I'm being vigilant. Wed I'll try to meter the thing to see if my ear-o-meter is accurate... lol
Since you mounted the basket on the vented side you would smell coil easily...so that is good.

I have been messing around with a 4th order box the past two weeks myself. I stumbled upon it...it is a custom box from the late 90's early 2000's and had to JL 12s/triple chamber and rectangular port in the middle of the box. I swapped my alpines type Rs in there to see how they performed. Just wanted to know what it is like coming from a standard slot ported box. Still seeing what works well in my Sonata. I will be upgrading from those alpines next week though to something heftier, but will add those to the slot ported box I already have.

Since you mounted the basket on the vented side you would smell coil easily...so that is good.I have been messing around with a 4th order box the past two weeks myself. I stumbled upon it...it is a custom box from the late 90's early 2000's and had to JL 12s/triple chamber and rectangular port in the middle of the box. I swapped my alpines type Rs in there to see how they performed. Just wanted to know what it is like coming from a standard slot ported box. Still seeing what works well in my Sonata. I will be upgrading from those alpines next week though to something heftier, but will add those to the slot ported box I already have.
helps a tad with cooling too..

Since you mounted the basket on the vented side you would smell coil easily...so that is good.I have been messing around with a 4th order box the past two weeks myself. I stumbled upon it...it is a custom box from the late 90's early 2000's and had to JL 12s/triple chamber and rectangular port in the middle of the box. I swapped my alpines type Rs in there to see how they performed. Just wanted to know what it is like coming from a standard slot ported box. Still seeing what works well in my Sonata. I will be upgrading from those alpines next week though to something heftier, but will add those to the slot ported box I already have.
I was suprised at the output really... I designed the thing for the power of a 3k at 2ohm. The sealed side was extremely small at just over 1ft3 just to keep x-max within limits. But it really hammers at cabin freq like I wanted. And yes having the magnet in the ported side helps cool the sub and lets me know when enough is enough. For a 750 watt sub I'm impressed as h*ll.

I'm extremely happy with the results but spun the main/rod bearings heading out to meter it... what a coincidence... lol... D*mn vortec has oil cooler lines and just replaced radiator and those lil clips are tricky... lost all oil on freeway and noticed nothing until it almost seized.

Once fixed I'm really curious where it meters with that tune in a 4th... seems to be pretty loud... its at least a 140... lol...

I was suprised at the output really... I designed the thing for the power of a 3k at 2ohm. The sealed side was extremely small at just over 1ft3 just to keep x-max within limits. But it really hammers at cabin freq like I wanted. And yes having the magnet in the ported side helps cool the sub and lets me know when enough is enough. For a 750 watt sub I'm impressed as h*ll.I'm extremely happy with the results but spun the main/rod bearings heading out to meter it... what a coincidence... lol... D*mn vortec has oil cooler lines and just replaced radiator and those lil clips are tricky... lost all oil on freeway and noticed nothing until it almost seized.

Once fixed I'm really curious where it meters with that tune in a 4th... seems to be pretty loud... its at least a 140... lol...
Bummer on the motor man. I will have to look back in the thread, but what was that amp rated at?

It sounds good too because you actually did a well built box...

That is an Synergy EFA 3K I believe it's supposed to be around 2100 watts at 2ohm... im not really sure. The guy sent me some numbers but I'll not quote him. I'll wait to see when someone dynos one. The power is good tho... I'll say that much.

Blazer is history... blown mains, rod bearings and a plethora of basshead problems (torn body metal at doorjams, continually cracking windshields... etc)... I picked this up for $700 and it runs great, almost everything works (A/C out... dropped price from $1700 cause of it!) and no issues yet. Phx is a touch extreme this time of year temp wise so I'll have to fix the A/C soon but I'm on 3rd shift currently so it's something I can live with for the price. The enclosure I've got looks to be a great fit but as far as electrical goes I know I'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet for a 200A or better alt... 2000 Honda Passport, any Ideas for a budget to semi-budget option for this vehicle?

3fFKAua.jpg

a8CxDSQ.jpg

Time to tear another SUV apart... literally and figuratively... lol

[quote name='Spooney']@THATpurpleKUSH do you design 4ths? I’ve been ******* around in WinISD but I don’t really know **** about 4ths. Thought about trying one for my 8 Blaupunkt 12’s[/QUOTE]

I'm more of a consultant rather than a designer lol. Winisd wont give you any useful information below the point where cabin gain kicks in which is generally below 50hz, which is about 80-90% of the response curve. What I'm able to do is use Bass Box pro to plot various designs like winisd but with far greater accuracy. I can get you volumes, tuning and port area as well as all of the necessary curves and plots which i can export to a pdf and email, but I don't have a clue when it comes to using sketchup, hence I am reluctant to call myself a full blown designer. I really need to learn sketchup but thats not a super high priority for me at this time. I do have an spl lab meter if you ever wanted to do some testing, we don't live too far away from each other.

@shredder2 did you ever play around with the low end response to get a feel for the limitations? I'm curious how low it plays with authority. When you still had the Blazer did you try different port firing orientations or loading distances?

Last edited by a moderator:
It Plays to around 30hz... super strong around cabin frequency (50hz)... it goes lower but output falls off steeply around 28hz.

I wanted bass-boxing type stuff and rock to hammer... I got more than I bargained for... for a 750 watt 15" driver... I'm impressed

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='THATpurpleKUSH']I'm more of a consultant rather than a designer lol. Winisd wont give you any useful information below the point where cabin gain kicks in which is generally below 50hz, which is about 80-90% of the response curve. What I'm able to do is use Bass Box pro to plot various designs like winisd but with far greater accuracy. I can get you volumes, tuning and port area as well as all of the necessary curves and plots which i can export to a pdf and email, but I don't have a clue when it comes to using sketchup, hence I am reluctant to call myself a full blown designer. I really need to learn sketchup but thats not a super high priority for me at this time. I do have an spl lab meter if you ever wanted to do some testing, we don't live too far away from each other.

@shredder2 did you ever play around with the low end response to get a feel for the limitations? I'm curious how low it plays with authority. When you still had the Blazer did you try different port firing orientations or loading distances?[/QUOTE]

Do I smell a meetup in the works?? I am only about 30 minutes away from Spooney.

@shredder2 back in the day I had an Isuzu Rodeo (same thing as yours). I picked up a 300A alt from iraggi for a killer price. Not sure what Dom's reputation is these days but that alt performed well. I am assuming that yours has the 3.2 engine (I can't remember if there was any other option).

Also, those **** vortecs and the oil lines are such a PITA. I had a blazer that would never stop leaking at the lines, replaced everything, started leaking again within a month. Did you get rid of yours after the motor blew? Those vortecs are about a dime a dozen, not too hard to swap out either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.