LOoking to upgrade spl, taking ideas

Alright fair so let me break this down a bit more for further help, I do produce dubstep as well, so I'm not looking to lose all quality, but I do like being soffocated by bass. So maybe a happy medium for what I can do to max them out . Would 3k in a box built to its recommended specs lose a lot of quality ?

Not sure but if he's already tuned to 35hz he's probably not concerned about strong lows. I would tune lower for dubstep personally.
Well he did say 4 18's eventually... so stay with 4K for sure... that 3ft3 net box will have a hella long port to tune any lower than 34hz... @ 34hz I'm seeing 40" long with 60in2 of area for that much power... and that's after modeling it... I'd be careful with that much power for sure... but I'd be grinnin'

Alright fair so let me break this down a bit more for further help, I do produce dubstep as well, so I'm not looking to lose all quality, but I do like being soffocated by bass. So maybe a happy medium for what I can do to max them out . Would 3k in a box built to its recommended specs lose a lot of quality ?
No loss of quality, I would do 1.5-1.6cf per sub tuned to 31-32hz with a good amount of port area.

Well he did say 4 18's eventually... so stay with 4K for sure... that 3ft3 net box will have a hella long port to tune any lower than 34hz... @ 34hz I'm seeing 40" long with 60in2 of area for that much power... and that's after modeling it... I'd be careful with that much power for sure... but I'd be grinnin'
If you divide it in half, thats 1500 to each. Tons of people run 1500s to a single SA.

IMO 60in^2 is a ton of port, I would go a little smaller like 48-54in^2 or an 8 inch aero.

There seems to be something confusion do to my typo.... I'm not wanting 4 18s, I meant the model of the sub I want is a "HDC 4" 18 inch, single . That being said , who can help me design the box / maybe even build it ! Will pay for blueprints or the build obviously . Just with my current living condition I have no where to wood work !

If you divide it in half, thats 1500 to each. Tons of people run 1500s to a single SA.
IMO 60in^2 is a ton of port, I would go a little smaller like 48-54in^2 or an 8 inch aero.
I'm coming up with 2600 actual at 4K in that 3 ft3 net box... now that's not super accurate but it a starting point... 60in2 of slot port (aeros will be less of course) puts it at 30m/s... that's what I'd do... even a touch more area... but then the port gets a tad long

I'm coming up with 2600 actual at 4K in that 3 ft3 net box... now that's not super accurate but it a starting point... 60in2 of slot port (aeros will be less of course) puts it at 30m/s... that's what I'd do... even a touch more area... but then the port gets a tad long
85d36p.jpg

Watch that vid I linked in the beginning of the thread... those SA-12's do get down!
Yeah they went bonkers! I'd love to do 3500 but I listen to extended periods of time, but I'm thinking **** it , but maybe a new box as well?

Yeah they went bonkers! I'd love to do 3500 but I listen to extended periods of time, but I'm thinking **** it , but maybe a new box as well?
Well... if you step down to 3500 watts... looks like 56in2 slot ported to 33hz... that's 40" long... in a 3ft3 net box... that'll play your dubstep pretty well... lol!.. the overall size will be somewhat large due to the port... BTW the 8" aero will be 35" long!... and your velocities will be a little low... I'd be wary of bottoming out the subs with that big aero... 3 4" aeros will be better for those low notes... I'm just nervous about bottoming out those subs at that power with the 8" aero (say you try to play some decaf)... that slot port could be a tad bigger I think... but it gets too long then... 33hz... that's a good low tune for ya'... hope this helps

h93MSD.jpg

Larger boxes allow subs to reach their mechanical limits on less power compared to a smaller box. I'm pretty sure I've seen vids of Jacob burping an SA 12 in 1cf on a saz3.5k.
I also burped a single sa12 on a small 1-1.5cf external aero ported box on a sundown 3500. Gains were set very low when listening to music but did a consistent 141 @ headrest.

I had it on a old style hifonics brutus 2k @1ohm and it was still hungry for more

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.