LOoking to upgrade spl, taking ideas

brafferty

CarAudio.com Elite
idaho
Been awhile since I've been here, but here we go again. I'm currently running 2 Sa-12s on a jbl 1500 mono in a box tuned to roughly 35 hz. I'm debating tossing a bigger amp on these but not sure what they can take max. I rarely have clipping issues and I listen to mainly dubstep. I could also get fancy with a box design, in which case I need a designer / builder. Long term goals I'm looking to install a HDc 4 18 on 4K, so if these could handle 4K, I'd **** around with that until I got the new sub. Thoughts, opinions , concerns ?

Thanks for the input! I'm running the 2ohm versions if that helps..... if you guys say I can get away with 3500 watts on these babies I'll do so and probably a new box ! These subs have treated me well till now

Watch your levels and you should be ok... but 4K WILL melt those coils if you leave it up...
Think to play it safe I should go with a 3k? I'm known to play for a good 20-30 minutes straight full tilt

3k would be safer if you play full tilt for ~30mins.
If you have a new box made, I would make it smaller like 1.5cf per sub to help with the increased power.
That's good advice if you are looking for pure SPL... but watch out if you go too small you'll have a hard time getting those lower notes... I say just watch it and upgrade asap

That's good advice if you are looking for pure SPL... but watch out if you go too small you'll have a hard time getting those lower notes... I say just watch it and upgrade asap
Larger boxes allow subs to reach their mechanical limits on less power compared to a smaller box. I'm pretty sure I've seen vids of Jacob burping an SA 12 in 1cf on a saz3.5k.

Larger boxes allow subs to reach their mechanical limits on less power compared to a smaller box. I'm pretty sure I've seen vids of Jacob burping an SA 12 in 1cf on a saz3.5k.
I agree with you... just is he looking for a full SPL build?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.