Looking to replace my old 15"...

Participant count
  • Participant list

spamynator_1

I am on a budget and would like to replace my 15" subwoofer. I have a cheap boss cx15 svc. It is good for $45. For something new i would like to stay under $150. I only need a driver. I was looking at the Hifonics brutas 15", the mtx rts15", and the sundown audio E-15D2. I know that the people on here can be a bit... opinionated. Feel free to judge the boss subwoofer i bought when i was 14. But advice would be appreciated as to which of those would be best or if there is another option out there what would be the best for me. I have a ~4 cu ft box tuned to 36hz i believe. As of now gets me +5.32db@50hz. Thank you.

I dont have any pictures of it. Dont feel like hauling it out of my trunk in the middle of winter to get any. Why you ask? It is just particle board. Also any insight on the question?

I dont have any pictures of it. Dont feel like hauling it out of my trunk in the middle of winter to get any. Why you ask? It is just particle board. Also any insight on the question?
I'm just questioning the build quality and design of said box. Most subs nowadays will destroy that particle board box in an instant. The box is what gets you loud and a weak improperly designed box will quickly make a 2000$ subwoofer sound like something from the flea market.

It's made with 3/4" partical board and pre-drilled galvonized deck screws, and wood glue to make sure that it is sealed. I am a math guy i calculated the airspace of the box and the size and depth of it's ports, accounting for osculation, as to project the most possible sound at 50hz. And concerning it's structural quality, you could use this speaker as a jack stand. Now, with all due respect, this question was regarding drivers not enclosures.

Now for my setup (proud prius owner) I found some rather high quality boards of mahogany in the woods (limited rotting, just painted over it) and used those to make a box for my dual FI SSD15's. Mind you, the prius has an incredible amount of space to put this baby. So I tossed the setup in the back, and it played great for a while. For some time after making these babies, i couldn't really come across any actual speakers to pair with it, so driving basically made me pretty nautious due to the large vibrations. but in the end what I really learnes is that for the proper music experience what you need is a well made box, not particle board or some junk like that. or rotted mahogany held together with deck screws and dreams.

it's tough to recommend something better than you have if in all likelyhood youll go the way of my prius and generate some woodchips all over the place. the prius is a good car though, and it helps to care about the environment. it wont last forever.

Anyway, make sure you have good boxes so you don't get them messed up by powerful speakers and you can get the audio experience you paid for.

Did you put aftermarket rims on your prius? because that is truly hilarious. Admit-ably improves the looks, however that is a lost cause. But holy crap are you people off topic. Has nobody a single scrap of on topic input? I have made a number of boxes in my life time and none of them couldn't take anything less than driving over it with a F-650 filled with gravel. I WOULD LIKE INPUT ON DRIVERS.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Also, **** you Tom.

Sound Storm Laboratories EV2.1000. Which is of course 500 watts rms bridged at 2 ohm or 125 rms single channel at 4 ohms. I bought it for it's price/Total harmonic distortion. Also seemed like the only company that was cheap and giving legit numbers. Thank you for the legitimate advice on drivers by the way. I am going to be running 2 of them. One for my highs and one for my lows.

Your best bet is honestly the boston. It plays well off 200+ watts. Your amp will probably be around 200-300 watts. Soundqubed subs like power. The more the better. The sundown e is happiest around 500+. The boston is happiest in the 200 to 400 range.

It's made with 3/4" partical board and pre-drilled galvonized deck screws, and wood glue to make sure that it is sealed. I am a math guy i calculated the airspace of the box and the size and depth of it's ports, accounting for osculation, as to project the most possible sound at 50hz. And concerning it's structural quality, you could use this speaker as a jack stand. Now, with all due respect, this question was regarding drivers not enclosures.
sorry man particle board is particle board. a soundqubed HDS 200 15 or sundown E with proper power will break that particle board box within a month tops. Use mdf or ply or birch ply for speaker boxes next time. BTW those are choices that fit your budget. You'll need a proper amp to get the most out of them.

Particle board, though not the strongest material in the world, acoustically is better then other woods because of it's hardness. Plywood does not function as well acoustically.

Particle board, though not the strongest material in the world, acoustically is better then other woods because of it's hardness. Plywood does not function as well acoustically.
Next youll say an 8 cant hit as low as an 18 and a 15/18 cant hit fast bass notes.

Hds200 series

Sundown E series

Boston sub recommended.

Put them in a hat pull one out. But you realize a box isnt a universal thing. It could work but youll lose some aspect of the subs sound because it might want something your box doesnt have or your box mught have something your sub doesnt want

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.