Looking to change my system, need some product recommendations...

Participant count
  • Participant list

lessthandan

Hello,

TL;DR -> I need things to buy. I want to downsize from x2 12" subs to x1 cleeeeaaaannn sub for hardcore/screamo tunes, and I want to downsize from x3 amps to "one amp to rule them all." Product recommendations required. HALP.

First things first - price is a small factor. I'm willing to spend $500ish on the speakers, but I'd like to save whatever I can on the amp and subwoofer. So, without further ado....

Here is my current setup:

Car -> 2013 Nissan Altima S

Head Unit -> Nexus 7 Tablet

Front Door Speakers -> JBL P662S (coaxial)

Rear Door Speakers -> JBL P662S (coaxial)

Rear Dash Speakers -> JBL P963 (3-way)

Tweeters -> x2 random JBL in the center dash console someplace

Subwoofers -> x2 Kicker Comp VR 12"

Amplifiers -> Kicker 300.4 (for the front/rear doors), Kicker 300.2 (for the rear dash), Kicker 750.1 (for the subs)

How The Audio Works:

Nexus 7 -> USB DAC -> Clarion EQ -> Amps

Current Woes:

- The Nexus 7 is fantastic. However, it is a bit noisy. The Clarion EQ only cleaned up so much of the feedback. I can still hear a bit of noise and hissing. It's not enough to be a problem, but enough to sometimes be a bother.

- I'm pretty sure the speakers are getting more than enough power (I'd have to re-verify the RMS again), but these JBLs keep breaking. I think that my speakers just get thrashed during cold New England winters, and that somehow kills the electronics. That may be a stretch.

- Too many amps. Like, way too many.

- The subs cause an earthquake. No amount of dynamat or similar products can cut down the rattle. It's just too much.

Now that ya'll have a bit of background, here's what I'm thinking about doing...

1) Rip out all of the speakers, and replace them with 1 pair of Hertz Hi Energy 3-way speakers in just the front doors.

2) Downsize the subs from x2 12s to maybe 1 10"

3) Power everything from one amp.

4) Get a cheap head unit and connect the Nexus 7 to the new head unit via bluetooth and do audio via bluetooth (which should solve the noise issue).

My questions are more centered around product and sensibility...

1) The Hertz should be more than enough, assuming I give them plenty of power. Do I need additional rear door and rear dash speakers?

2) My music tastes are 99% ska, punk rock, hardcore, screamo (Less Than Jake, Silverstein, Thursday, Chunk, No Captain Chunk, Set Your Goals, Taking Back Sunday, etc etc etc) and 1% hip hop/rap. I don't need a sub woofer to thump hard. I really just want cleeeeaaaannn bass. If anyone has a product recommendation for this, it would be much appreciated.

3) Is this sensible to power everything off of one amp? I'm guessing I would need a 3-channel amp with at least 1000W+ (not sure of the RMS needed off the top of my head), but those don't seem very common without looking at higher end Hertz or Audison products. Another product recommendation would be good here.

4) Any HU input would be cool, but not necessary

Thanks everyone!

--Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.