Looking for pure sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

NyghtrydeR

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone,
Im not looking to get back into competing. I’m looking for a good range of pure or clear sound. I listen to a variety of music, jazz, country, rap, r&b, blues, and more. So with that in mind I want to build a system that will play crisp mids and highs and deep lows. I’ve been looking around on this site to try to re-educate myself prior to posting. This build is going in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Special Edition. I am thinking about an Alpine ILX-F511 head unit, q-logic kick panels that hold 6.5” speakers and tweeters, I am considering B2 audio component reference v2 3-way system which has 6.5”, 5.25” and tweeters. The rear speakers hold 6x9”s but I’m not sure if I should actually put in 6x9“s or 6.5”s? I am thinking of putting a set of super tweeters on the q-logic panels and the b2 tweeters in the oem tweeter location. I have a pair of new crescendo super tweeters that I can put in the kick panels or I can get a different brand.

I have a 12” MTX 9500 with a sundown recone and two sundown 8” x-8 d2 750w rms. I want to make a 4th or 6th order box with either the 12” or the 2 8”s and have the port blowing through the rear deck.

As for amps I have a FSD 2000.1 and several highfonics amps, however, I’m not opposed to buying newer amps or amps that may produce less distortion.

Thank you all for your input.

The rear speakers hold 6x9”s but I’m not sure if I should actually put in 6x9“s or 6.5”s?
Not much needed for awesome clean sound. As long as the headunit is from a reputable manufacturer, it will be easy to achieve.
Last week, I installed a single DIN Kenwood in my uncle's old Dodge with a pair of Skar Audio 6x9s. It sounded so clean, that before I realized it, over an hour had passed of me going through my phone's playlists. I felt like I had gone back to my roots of radio/speakers combo. I really enjoyed it.
Anyway, I think 6x9s will be easier to blend with the subwoofer channel.
If you have the room, go with the 12" sub. It has more cone area and I think a longer stroke.

id put the mids in the doors... more air space. this is where i put my tweeters. cars a 99 Accord. they sound really good and my knees dont block their sound. my mids are right below them in the stock location

Attachments

• IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 25
id put the mids in the doors... more air space. this is where i put my tweeters. cars a 99 Accord. they sound really good and my knees dont block their sound. my mids are right below them in the stock location
How do like your alpine head unit? the main reason I want to go alpine over kenwood is I can get a 11” touchscreen and multiple driving cameras

I definitely have the room for the 12”. Does alpine make a decent head unit these days?

I got one of those Alpine Halo head units for my Jeep a year ago December and it functions nicely seems solidly built and has about the best screen on the market. Downside is that it's only a 1-30 volume control which I find is just a little too much between clicks, and it has no remote control support. Apart from those things I have no complaints. I'm running Sony receivers in my Toyota and F250 which have done me right. Really between them, Pioneer, Kenwood/JVC there shouldn't be any issues. I used to have good luck with Jensen head units but I haven't used one in probably a decade now. Just steer clear of gutter brands like Boss, Dual, or Soundstream and source unit won't be a weak link.

I would swear by those Q-logic kicks, they've always worked great for me. I also very much like a 6x9, it's a lot more cone area and they're tried and true. The only issue is rather limited selection of options outside of entry level lines. JBL Stadium series is quite good for oval component sets though a little spendy if you don't buy them on sale.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...