Looking for ONE sub that won't tear my car apart...

Jlandry287
10+ year member

As the title suggests, I am looking for ONE sub that won't rattle my rear view mirror loose, rattle screws loose, or make my car rattle significantly in general. I want a sub that will simply accent, not overpower my music. I do however want the option to crank the bass up and possibly show off, just not constantly. I drive a 2006 Nissan Xterra, so there is a lot of space in this car.

I am not asking which specific sub, I am asking what size and RMS should I be searching for?

I am considering this [Kicker S8L72 8" Dual 2 ohm Solo-Baric L7 900W Car Subwoofer] paired with [Pioneer GM-D9601 GM Digital 1200W Class-D Monoblock Amplifier].

Any suggestions, as far as sub size and RMS rating?

an 8 or 10 off 1000 watts or less should work. I know you aren't asking for sub recommendations, but check out the sundown SA series, or the Soundqubed HDS200s or the Incriminator Audio I or Lethal Injection series.

I am using the SA10 right now on 1000watts and its very nice. Gets loud when I want it to, and has a good sound to it as well. Also I have it in a sealed fiberglass enclosure.

Your goals are exactly opposite of one another. Any sub capable of rattling things can be turned down until it doesn't. What space you do have to fill, give me height width and depth and then options can be given you can do better than those kickers though in any case.

I believe in buying the most cone area you can fit, which means you must also consider the enclosure size to get the results you want. A ported enclosure will help you make the most out of a smaller amplifier, and low excursion subwoofers lend themselves to work well with a simple, smaller ported enclosure since the port does not need to be very long to yield a tuning frequency in the 30s.

One all-in-one solution I find very impressive and pleasant to listen to is JBL's MS-BassPro SQ. JBL took care of designing the optimal combination of a subwoofer and perfectly designed enclosure, as well as an amplifier, to get clean undistorted bass with 0 port noise. All you need is an amplifier power wiring kit to install it. If you have a factory radio you can tie into the rear speakers to get your audio signal without a Line Out Converter.

everyone's go to brand is Kicker, and then the L7 at that....
why

Sundown Sa8v2 on 500 rms

hello
I never even heard of Sundown until I came to this forum, along with many other brands hailed king by others on here.

Kicker was huge @ my highschool, so that was my roots lol

I never even heard of Sundown until I came to this forum, along with many other brands hailed king by others on here.Kicker was huge @ my highschool, so that was my roots lol
Same with me. I'm glad I came to this site though and learned about better equipment.

everyone's go to brand is Kicker, and then the L7 at that....
why

Sundown Sa8v2 on 500 rms

hello
Because there are tons of high school kids who think they know everything about car audio. I had some kids tell me Pioneer and Kenwood were the best subwoofer brands you could buy anywhere. Yeah... high schoolers and even adults are being deceived by the mainstream market.

As the title suggests, I am looking for ONE sub that won't rattle my rear view mirror loose, rattle screws loose, or make my car rattle significantly in general. I want a sub that will simply accent, not overpower my music. I do however want the option to crank the bass up and possibly show off, just not constantly. I drive a 2006 Nissan Xterra, so there is a lot of space in this car.
I am not asking which specific sub, I am asking what size and RMS should I be searching for?

I am considering this [Kicker S8L72 8" Dual 2 ohm Solo-Baric L7 900W Car Subwoofer] paired with [Pioneer GM-D9601 GM Digital 1200W Class-D Monoblock Amplifier].

Any suggestions, as far as sub size and RMS rating?
almost any 10" on 300-600 watts should be good just to flavor the music a little more.......

I'd go for a 10" in a vented box personally. You can turn it down when you need, and crank it up when you want.

I once had a fellow highschool student tell me that his 2 10" Kickers (in a pre fab box) would blow away my Diamond HP12... yeah, sure. Bout 2/3's of the way up he was clipping. It was adorable.

I have the Sundown SD's 8 inch, in a small sealed enclosure. Actually I have 3 of them on 1000 watts and it certainly won't rattle your car apart much less vibrate the mirror but does accent the music well enough. I don't think it's as clean sounding as my W6v2 in sealed but for what they are it should suit you well, even a single 8" might do it for ya.

If your looking to go cheap and still have very good bass..

I would do 2 quantum audio 8s or 10s.

They will easily cost you maybe 20-30$ a sub and will give you high vibrations that will not tear your car apart, but just enough to know you do still have subs in the ride.

Put 2 in a 2.5 cu ft box ported and you will be good. Total cost of speakers and amp to go with it should be at most 150$ or a little above that.

So how much space do you want to invest in subwoofer and how much money do you want to spend? As has been said, any woofer that's worth "showing off" can easily be turned down for normal/moderate listening levels.

I'm not a major ground shattering earth quaking bass loving guy...

I listen to mostly rock, indie, electro, and some rap. This is why I was considering going with a sealed box and a smaller sub.

Since everyone on here decided to diss the kickers [LOL...] I will not be going with that option. Thinking an Alpine Type-S. Any opinions?

So how much space do you want to invest in subwoofer and how much money do you want to spend? As has been said, any woofer that's worth "showing off" can easily be turned down for normal/moderate listening levels.
My budget is $400 to $500 max. Box, Sub, amp, wiring, etc... I have an suv with lots of space, but honestly I would like to use as little as possible since I'm not trying to tremor the earth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.