Looking for Analog

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey, I am looking to buy a car stereo system that uses buttons and dials instead of screens. Preferably as little LED lighting as possible. I find the new heads (i.e. recent Pioneer models) are distracting and confusing to operate, and in the interest of comfort and safety I was wondering if any of you know a good make or model to investigate.

Basically, something like this:

car_radio.jpg

Seriously though, more like this:

P1010003-1.jpg

I don't know anything about which stereos are better, I am admittedly new to this game. Just looking for certain...I guess operating system would be the best term.

Thanks guys!

Many Alpines are still dial and button, though not the "classic" layout.

IMO if you get one with a remote control and get used to the controller by touch it's far more convenient all around. Like all "new" technology it just takes some getting used to.

Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer are the big 3 for solid and reliable head units. Sony, JVC, Jensen should be decent. Soundstream, Power Acoustik, dual, and any brand that nobody has ever heard of should be avoided. There's a few other brands that would fall into either decent or poor category but I haven't seen enough of them to say.

DO NOT buy a low end brand HU. They really will perform terribly and fail quickly, you'll regret every minute of ownership. The better companies have plenty of selection in various price ranges. Good luck, if you find something stop back and write a review for posterity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.