looking for a new sub. need suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

slomaro

So I bought a new(er) car and want to get a new audio set up. I want a single 12" in a sealed box that hits some nice low notes. I'm trying to spend around $150 or less (Less preferably lol) but want it to hit nice and hard. I've been researching forever trying to find the best sub for that price and I have a few that I've been looking at and need help choosing what's the best value. I want your opinions on what I should get. Any help is great! Here are the subs I've been looking at:

1. NVX VSW124 - Really like this sub, looks great nice high roll foam surround, nice stitching and woven cone material great price $119

2. Sundown E12V2 - Good looking sub, nice big surround $109

3. VM ECW12 - haven't heard much of this sub

4. Alpine Type R - I like this sub but it seems like everyone and their mom has one ;p $149

Anyway, those are a few of the subs I've been looking at. I really like the stitching on the NVX sub, makes me think it would be quite durable and the surround makes it seem like it would flex pretty good. Any opinions?

Additionally, what amp do you all think? I was looking at a Hifonics Brutus 1200.1

Thanks for reading!

first of all, Throw that sealed box idea into the trash. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/miscellaneous-car-audio-classifieds/599878-fs-cheap-ported-box.html - this is a killer deal for a custom made ported box. Any of your subs you listed would work fine in this box and hit a lot harder then a sealed, also you wont need as much power to get full output since its a more efficient type of enclosure.

SoundQubed HDS312 - this fits the bill for you with 3 inch coils, its hell of a lot more durable then any of the subs you've listed and it has a much stronger magnet. Get a precision power black ice 1800.1d to match it, almost the same price as the hifonics but performs a lot better and a lot less of a power hog and the soundqubed 12 will take all that power easily.

awesome. that sub looks great! never heard of the company, looking at their stuff now. ported is better than sealed?
soundqubed used to be audioque and they've proven themselves long enough in the audio community many times over. Ported is waaaay better then sealed if you want it hitting nice and hard, but it depends on the type of woofer too, some dont like ported, some dont like sealed, you have to calculate the EBP of the sub to see what enclosure it likes. The soundqubed, sub likes ported, the other subs you've listed can work okay in either sealed or ported but shines a bit more in ported applications.

d2llXUo.jpg

that sub is a 12....

edit: nvm you meant its far too deep, so i'm guessing reverse mount is out of the question?
I'm currently fabricating a box that will fit in that spot and then I will be able to see how deep of a sub will fit. The nvx is only 6" mounting depth that's why it's #1 . that's the only thing i hate about ttops, if I go with a crazy audio set up i lose my storage :/

In a 2001 camaro ss, I built a box that sits in that area about an inch above the seat with 2 boston g5 10's aero ported and it got pretty loud off 800 watts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.