Looking for a mid bass sub.

Slobalt

CarAudio.com Elite
Long story short I'm trying to help my brother out with a system and he listens to 70's - 80's rock and how he likes it to sound calls for something that plays higher than a normal subwoofer does. I'm thinking up to 500hz should be good but I'm not sure honestly. With that I'd like to also keep the cost low and nothing that needs crazy power.

I've come up with two different ideas the jbl gti or a couple of sundown x 6.5 which I'm not sure if they will play the way I want but I'm thinking they will. So give me some ideas.

400hz is still higher than a sub would play which might work. Any mids that are budget friendly? I thought of the cdt but that's even more

If you insist on trying to get 500hz out of the sub, look into some pro audio subwoofers. There are some of the pro drivers that will give bass down into the 30's and still play fairly clean up to ~1000hz. Its probably going to have to an enormous enclosure to do it.

I think the better option is what everyone else is saying, use a good 6.5 or 8 inch midbass driver paired with a traditional sub to cover anything 80hz and lower.

Agreed with above statements here..I listen to 90%+ rock/metal music.Equipment in sig.All my doors are treated and deadened btw..Sub or subs are a must imo.Very hard to get any real bass outta the doors.Been there tried that.Had CDT's,Crescendo pwx 6.5's,PRV's etc etc...To me the PWX's had the most mid-bass.

Agreed with above statements here..I listen to 90%+ rock/metal music.Equipment in sig.All my doors are treated and deadened btw..Sub or subs are a must imo.Very hard to get any real bass outta the doors.Been there tried that.Had CDT's,Crescendo pwx 6.5's,PRV's etc etc...To me the PWX's had the most mid-bass.
Nice to know, off topic how'd you like the prv's

Long story short I'm trying to help my brother out with a system and he listens to 70's - 80's rock and how he likes it to sound calls for something that plays higher than a normal subwoofer does. I'm thinking up to 500hz should be good but I'm not sure honestly. With that I'd like to also keep the cost low and nothing that needs crazy power.
I've come up with two different ideas the jbl gti or a couple of sundown x 6.5 which I'm not sure if they will play the way I want but I'm thinking they will. So give me some ideas.
I seriously think your are getting confused man. You dont need to go up to 500hz thats male/female vocal territory. You'll only want up to at most 120hz. Plus 315 hz has the tendency to sound really bad if peaked hard on the system. I'd seriously recommend you putting songs into audacity's spectrum analyzer and actually know what you are talking about first. Because I analyze a lot of oldie rock and the bass is generally falls in the 50hz to 100hz range

Just because normal subwoofers have their lpf at 80 doesnt mean most of them even reach 80hz with any authority. A lot of them start roll off at 50hz and straight up fall flat on their *ss at 65hz. Also recording levels for old rock music have very low inherent bass in the recording like -12 to -16 db or so compared to normal music at -6 db or decaf at -1 db. You'll need a lot more cone area to make up for it. Or even an epicenter (if used responsibly)

JBL gti is a good choice.

You'll want really strong mid to upper midbass drivers for the doors for a proper blend or else you'll feel like the subwoofer is coming from the back which is horrible for imaging.

Nice to know, off topic how'd you like the prv's
I like the PRV's..Smooth with decent midbass.Can take some power without breaking up.Still using them too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.