Looking for a good lower watt sub

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
Hey everyone first post... anyways I’m looking for a sub in the 5-600 rms range that sounds good and has nice low end. I’m not dead set on the size but have been looking at the American bass xd1244 because of their reputation and it’s high efficiency rating (I know there are differing opinions on that). I also saw a 12” fi bl for sale locally and assume I don’t have enough power to make it sound right but if it would be decent I might check it out. I like messing around and trying new things so I’d like to keep the cost down but am open to any suggestions

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
I checked out ssa they had the best price for the xd I’m looking at. I know they get trashed but I have been running an old cvr 10 in a 1.5 ported at 35. I got it years ago in one of their truck boxes and it sounded like crap. I never really gave it a chance till the other day. I actually like the way it sounds and it works for me except that once in a while you want to crank it for a certain song

Gary S

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
May 25, 2006
Ex JL Audio Rep
Efficiency ratings on subs are not worth much........they are rated at a 1,000 hz - not where you will be using it.

If you want a high efficiency sub, look for one that requires a large enclosure (if you have the space).

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
I’m getting back into car audio after a while and new to box building. Well, pretty much anything beyond buying a mainstream brand from Best Buy or Crutchfield. Running the ts specs through bcae1 the xd comes out to just about the size and tuning of the box I already built. It’s a 2.13cf aero port tuned to 30hz. Most subs I’ve had or looked at come out more like 4-6cf which I definitely can’t sacrifice.

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
If I were smart I’d get a w6 and be done with it. I’ll probably spend more trying different stuff out I kinda like the tinkering side of it though

Reactions: 1aespinoza

Bobbytwonames

Pro Pot Stirrer
Aug 28, 2018
Hey everyone first post... anyways I’m looking for a sub in the 5-600 rms range that sounds good and has nice low end. I’m not dead set on the size but have been looking at the American bass xd1244 because of their reputation and it’s high efficiency rating (I know there are differing opinions on that). I also saw a 12” fi bl for sale locally and assume I don’t have enough power to make it sound right but if it would be decent I might check it out. I like messing around and trying new things so I’d like to keep the cost down but am open to any suggestions
I thought this sounded better than the W6.

Screenshot_20200708-181306_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
Apparently 1800 woofers (ssa) is unable to get the xd. I get it with everything going on... anyways they offered me a more expensive sub that I didn’t particularly care for. I’m open to a substitute though. Any suggestions? I wouldn’t mind trying their demon model but it’s about twice as much so I doubt they’ll go for it

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
They are out of stock so never mind. To keep in line with the price range of the XD, do look at the SSA Demon. The W6 is a solid choice but pricey.

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
It looks like the 2 opinions that might work are nvx vsw and Orion xtr. Any opinions about these? I’ve read good things about both tbh though a lot of the xtr reviews seem like people who might not have that much to compare it to.

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
Also one thing I notice about the demon is the 41.6 fs. Would it have any problems with lower frequencies?

mastershake575

Senior VIP Member
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
Also one thing I notice about the demon is the 41.6 fs. Would it have any problems with lower frequencies?
A subs response in free air will be different to that in a box (especially if the sub is known to loosen up after time)

You mentioned the American Bass XD being out of stock. I personally would rather have the RX model which is similiar RMS but better softparts and better SQ. SSA demon is a solid choice as well

OP
G

Greg B

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2020
Maryland
I’d definitely like to try dayton at some point. I’m hoping to find something through ssa though since they already have my money. Plus I already got the rcas I ordered at the same time so they might take shipping out of the refund. They suggested an ampere 2.0 and it looks pretty solid. I’m iffy about the 300 rms rating though since my current sub is 400 (cvr 10) and obviously I wanted more. The description says it’s rated very conservatively if it could take 5-600 for a song or 2 it could work. I usually listen at the point where my mirror is starting to shake but I’d like to have some head room when I want to crank it. My last sub was a gothic 12 and that thing could shake my car to bits but wasn’t musical at all if that makes sense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Trending Topics