Looking for a box design for a pioneer champion series pro

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm on YouTube using my amazon stick playing some bass test videos and this pioneer is down right dab to the bone low. I have a headache in 10 seconds of playing that - I'm sure the w6 will do better. That box is pretty sweet after all. It's so **** stiff though but yet excursus like crazy. I watch the YouTube videos on this pioneer and a lot of people appear to under power this. The excursion is minor yet on my peavy 2000 the excursion is insane. I've shaken this room like my w6 never has but I give credit to the box not the sub. Anyway , I'll post up some updates and might even make a YouTube video to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try that - JL won't tell anyone what that HO is tuned to, I called them to ask and they said it's a patent so it's all secretive. I have a feeling it's tuned to about 38 if I had to guesstimate. Putting it in this 31hz will probably sound amazing, the fun continues. Thanks for the idea Jeff.

That JL H/O box is tuned to 34 hz, there's a guy repicating the exact specs on youtube back then. Same performance. Just it has less port area and less cubic feet which smooths out the peak. Smaller box brings out more midbass performance.

The pioneer gave me headaches back then as well, its not from being loud, idk the sound it puts out just gave me headaches, swapped a different sub that was way louder and was enjoyable with no headaches.

the pioneer shakes sh*t decently but not really pleasing to listen to.

31 is probably lower than id tune. just depends on the woofer but typical for a 12 in 2 cubes 35 is low enough..tuning low like that flattens out any big peaks and brings group delay down more and its less audible.

that woofer isn't a lowend monster but it should do ok in that box.

It Hits the lows but only the lows it seems like - I'm gonna throw the w6 in there like Jeff suggested and if it hits much better I'll sell the pioneer and pick something else up off Craigslist . I'm not trying to spend too much on it although I'll say that those sundowns have always caught my eye

It Hits the lows but only the lows it seems like - I'm gonna throw the w6 in there like Jeff suggested and if it hits much better I'll sell the pioneer and pick something else up off Craigslist . I'm not trying to spend too much on it although I'll say that those sundowns have always caught my eye

this happens nearly everyday. make your box smaller and keep the tune. try 1.5 tuned to 32. your gonna loose alot of lowend but its going to sound much better uptop. make hte port 3 inches longer and add another port space 2.25 inces from the on on the opposite wall make it 12 inches long that will take it down to about 1.6 with a similar tune..

The more I mess with this thing on these YouTube bass test videos, the more I respect it - it hits so much harder than my JL - it rumbles the house . Output wise I give it to this pioneer , quality comparison we will hear tommorrow.

this happens nearly everyday. make your box smaller and keep the tune. try 1.5 tuned to 32. your gonna loose alot of lowend but its going to sound much better uptop. make hte port 3 inches longer and add another port space 2.25 inces from the on on the opposite wall make it 12 inches long that will take it down to about 1.6 with a similar tune..
I've built 3 ported boxes for this pioneer back then. 1.2 cubic feet tuned to 35, 1.6 cubic feet tuned to 40, 2 cubic feet tuned to 30 hz and a sealed 1 cubic foot box. Neither of them had any performance up top. There's a steep roll off after 50hz with every box even with low pass at 80-100hz. Out of the 3 boxes, the 2 cubic feet tuned low had the best output and overall sound in the car (sounds better after cabin gain kicks in) and I normally dont like low tuning myself.

Basically one of the worst sounding subwoofers i'd ever had the displeasure of owning. They dont have a normal sound to them because they arent built like normal subwoofers. Every other sub I put in sounded fine in those boxes and played a much wider range and had no problem reaching up top or down low.

"Air Suspension System

For its revolutionary 3.25 inch deep Shallow Subwoofer, Pioneer created an Air Suspension system effective within a 70% smaller-than-previous enclosure that locks air for a spring-like effect between main and drive cones moving in unison. The result is consistently clear,powerful,wide ranging bass response. The subwoofer's dual cone structure maintains better sound linearity and reliability after hours of hard use than conventional subwoofers with "spider" structures to keep the voice coil aligned. This incredible technology is applied to this new generation of high output, high performance subwoofers."

Basically weak motor, lots of MMS due to a double thick and heavy carbon cone design, you'll chip your screw driver before making a crack in that cone. Most people that own this sub know that they perform much better in a bigger box and barely get any performance in a smaller enclosure, some guys i know actually get great results with 2.5 cubic feet at 32hz as well.

OP, you can toss some stuff in to fill the box, anything solid will do, it will take up airspace and increase your tuning.

The more I mess with this thing on these YouTube bass test videos, the more I respect it - it hits so much harder than my JL - it rumbles the house . Output wise I give it to this pioneer , quality comparison we will hear tommorrow.

download some of these, especially the slow n throw ones. youtube bass videos are for noobs lol, dont be that guy playing

"bass I love you" on youtube vids...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/622978-links-decaf-re-bassed-artists-thread.html

I happen to own that sub , lol. So I put the JL in the box and turned on mad max ( good flick ) and that movie has great bass right off the bat. I listened to it with the pioneer , made my switch and played it with the JL. I was actually kind of surprised to hear that they are actually comparable. One thing I didn't like about the w6 is I can hear the excursion, sounds like the coil rubs going up and down once you really start putting voltage into it. I can agree with Jeff when he said the pioneer rolls off at about 50hz, I can not say I tested this but when listening to music the sub only kicks in when deep bass notes come in, the rest of the song lacks bass. I will say that when the bass notes Come in they do Come in hard and heavy - very nice actually but a song needs its full sound and this pioneer lacks. I was looking at the Dayton 12" last night , it's 700rms and can get real low and is kind of geared for this. I think that ultimately I will end up with the Dayton, once I get an itch I have to scratch it, lol.

One thing That bugs me is I can't wire the pioneer to 4 ohms - it only has 2ohms and 6.9 or something - the peavy amp doesn't bridge to 2 ohms ( not recommended ) so I'm shooting for 4. Makes me wonder how this affects the sub. I can load it with voltage though so not sure if this matters .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.