Long List Of Questions

rouskisman
10+ year member

I'm really a newbie, beginner whatever you want to call it, in car audio. I was offered 2 10' Concepts for about $150 from a audio store, is it worth it? If you have a pretty good amp pushing it? If anyone can take the time to answer some of my questions it will mean alot to me thanx.

--------------------------------

Most of this was borrowed from other threads, i'm sorry if i offended you in any way.

1 BOSS audio remote level/x-over

- 1 Stiffing Cap

-1 1 Farad Streetwires cap

-2 Stinger T-distribution blocks

-Stinger 4awg wiring

- But not box i was planning on doing something whack with my box using open pipe resonators

-what kind of box is best for a Ranger?? what kinds of boxes are there? and what do they do??

-900 x 4ohms at 0.03%thd

-4 gauge wiring, PPI capacitor

-db efficiency is like 98.6 db i want about 150 -160 does that 98.6

-what is a terminal cap??

-I've heard that it depends on your setup in your vehicle to make a good sound difference, if there are so many different setups what does mostly everyone want to do and not want to do.

On a amp I am really confused.....

- Mono, is this just a amp to run for just like specific speakers?

- 2/Channel, is this just a amp to run the subs and the component speakers?

- multi/channel, is this just a amp to power more then two sets of speakers??

What does the following mean.

spl

db

dbl

rms

hz

-----------------------------------

If someone could really help me out with this I would really appreciate it, My s/n is rooskisman.

Hmmmmm.

Long list of question's..Might wanna get on a messenger with someone for a chat thru it all. Ive got yahoo (crystalis20) and aol (crystalis200).Always up for some car audio shiz talking... = ]

well, you can IM me on AIM, same as my name on here. Also, my email is crzybob77@attbi.com. Anyways, let me see if i can help you with a few questions on here.

You mentioned capacitors (cap) a lot in your questions. A capacitor basically goes on the power wire right before your amp and stores up power quickly in between the bass hits and the gives your amp the power when it needs it especially on the really loud and low hits. They arnt absolutly necessary, but can help your electrical system and can give your amp a little extra power on big bass hits. They come in different ratings of power, called farads. Generally, 1/2 farad is for amps up to 500 watts and 1 farad is for up to 1000 watts. Ummmmm... You mentioned a distribution block. That basically just takes a power wire and splits it into multiple wires and sometimes fuses them. Hmmmm, what else. YOu asked what 4 guage wiring is. The guage of a wire is the measure of its thickness. The smaller the number, the thicker the wire. As the wire gets bigger, then it can handle more power. Also, awg and guage basically mean the same thing. And, i will quickly answer some of your questions about what the abreviations meant. SPL stands for sound pressure level and is basically a measure of how loud your system is. Also, you didnt include this in your abreviations, but SQ means sound quality. Systems are usally described as either SQ or SPL or a balance between the both. SPL systems are made to be nothing but loud, and SQ systems are made to sound as good as possible with not as much regard to the volume of the system. I might be wrong, but i think that RMS stands for root mean squared. But, what it stands for really doesnt matter. It is basically the amount of power something can continuously give or take. OK, i guess that is enough for now. I couldnt answer everything, but it would take a lot more to thouroughly answer all those quesitons. It sounds like you just need to either get somebody to do your whole system for your or do lots of reading.

BOSS audio remote/x-over: well X-Over is an crossover. A audio remote is either a remote for your deck or your amp. 900 x 4ohms 0.03: well 900 is Max Watts NOT RMS and 4 ohms has to do with power in a way. lower ohms means more power in most cases and less sound quality while higher ohms means less power and more sound quality and 0.03% is the percentage of distortion at 900watts x 4ohms. Lower is better in that area. Boxes are varied.. You have Bandpass: your subs are inclosed completley and most times viewable thru a plexglass window. Sealed: The cone of the sub is exposed while the motor stucture and magnet remain in the box, the box is air tight and has no window. Ported: same as sealed except there are round or rectangular holes put in the box for air to pass thru. THose are the most basic boxes although you will see some other types. Some are made for trucks and other small area installs. Those are mostly called wedges or hatchback and even Custom boxes. Well thats all I can contribute as my brain quits at around 3am and its 4 now:crazy:

Why do I always read on this forum..........SQ vs. SPL? You can have both you know. Also awg is the acronym for American Wire Gauge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.