Lights Dim after Big "2" Upgrade

KawabungaZX6R
10+ year member

Hi, as the title says, I still have dimming occur after doing the Big "2" Upgrade with 1/0 AWG wire (Battery - to Ground and Engine to Ground) in my 98 Honda Civic. My system is only 500 RMS @ 2ohms but the headlights and interior lights dim when bass hits. I have installed a new battery and my alternator(70 amps) is fine. What else can I do?!?!?

What amp? I run 1200w at 2 ohm in my 91 integra with the same part of the big 3, stock alt, and a deep cycle battery in back with no dimming. Maybe your amp is inefficent.

It's not just a "new" battery that you need to look at, but one that has "low internal resistance", as well. One like Kinetic, or Odyysey AGM. Since music is dynamic, not constant, you will get more current when it's needed. Like during a heavy bass note. This might not be "THE" fix, but it certainly won't hurt. Also....the "big 2", as you put it...lacks the full upgrade. If you increase the size of the alt to bat wire, you might get less resistance, and better current flow.

Buy a real car...

But, even still... something's wrong if you're getting dimming issues with the upgraded grounds and only pulling about 41 amps. You should load test your battery.

The amp is a Alpine MRP-M500...How would I do a load test on the battery?? And if I do get a new battery, which one does Kenetic make for a 98 Civic. I had a Optima Yellow Top up front before my new one and it just died for an unknown reason....

The amp is a Alpine MRP-M500...How would I do a load test on the battery?? And if I do get a new battery, which one does Kenetic make for a 98 Civic. I had a Optima Yellow Top up front before my new one and it just died for an unknown reason....
kinetik hc1400

Where are the gains set on your amp? Did you set them with a DMM?
The gains is set low untill I get the DMM I ordered. I slightly turned it up to probably the second or third notch...I also sanded all the paint and tightened the bolts secure when I did the 1/0 wire upgrade....

I only did the Big 2 on my Civic along with a Kinetik HC1400 battery and I don't have any dimming issues from 1,200 watts RMS of class AB power! I am going to finish the Big 3 when my alternator dies. Sorry, I am not in the mood to put the car on jack stands just to run a 1/0 wire from the alternator to the battery and the EK Civic routes that GD wire through all kinds of weird places.

Sadly, for the EK generation Civic (96-2000 excluding the Si) the biggest alternator winding you can fit in the stock housing is 180 amps, and even that is pushing it. Most HO alternators are 130 to 165 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

sounds like you need a cap.
Also, finnish the alt to battery wire.

Some dimming is gonna happen with that 70 amp alt, no matter what.
not entirely true. ive got a 05 civic, running 1500rms, stock alt but do have a stinger batt and cap and I have no dimming issues whatsoever. My voltage never drops below 12.5, usually stays around 13 volts

check all your grounds and make sure they are clean and tight. 500 rms shouldnt make your lights dim.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.