Over heated wires mlted fuse

albers

I recently added a amp and 12" sub to my boat along with a deep cell battery for just powering the amp. The amp is a kicker IX702. I have it wired with 10 gage power and 10 gage ground, The power wire has a 30 amp inline fuse that on my recent outing on the boat i noticed when I was back home the fuse holder and fuse itself were melted but still working. Just looks like a fire hazzard waiting to happen. My question is do i need bigger wire and fuse. As of right now the use is on the side of the wire by the battery. would it matter of the location on the wire where the fuse is?

Thanks for the input. The length of wire is 15 ft. Would i need to upgrade the ground size as well or can you have a setup with a 4 or 8 gage power wire and a 10 gage ground. Where the batery is is under the sunpad by the motor in the back of the boat. so i could imagine it gets hot back there but not enouoph to melt the fuse holder and the fuse itself. But the fuse should be on the battery side of the wire correct?

4g wire for both power and ground. but for ground u wont need it as long if u can find a good solid piece of metal that u can drill into and bolt the wire down. id say maybe upgrade to a 40 fuse at most and yes hook the fuse up to the power wire near the battery so if you get a short you'll only have a blown fuse and no fire

usually when that happens it's a faulty ground or too much power going thru small wire. I suggest upgrading in thickness

30A fused amps usually do 8 guage, but I'd run 4 since it really isn't that expensive and your amp will thank you

Alright, Ill try 4 gage. wire for the power. As for the ground Its a boat with a fiberglass hull and need to grounded to the negitive side of the battery so seeing if i can get by with the 10 gage i have with a4 or 8 gage power wire.

Alright, Ill try 4 gage. wire for the power. As for the ground Its a boat with a fiberglass hull and need to grounded to the negitive side of the battery so seeing if i can get by with the 10 gage i have with a4 or 8 gage power wire.
NO! BOTH wires need to be sized the same. "Upsizing" one will have minimal effect without "upsizing" the other. Since you didn't blow the 30A fuse I'm assuming you're drawing less than 30 amps. Your problem is heat, not current. I'm thinking you could get by with #6 instead of #4, the insulation type being the variable. THHN-2 or THWN-2 should survive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.