Lets SEE your FiberGlass SUB BOX

Any brand will work fine for a speaker box. I've paid almost 200 bucks a gallon for ppg before, but that was for a truck body. I use the cheapest I can find for speaker boxes. I pay about 20 dollars a quart with hardner for RM. Also when you are sanding , it doesn't have to be perfect. The panel needs to be flat, you can leave scratches with as low as say 50 grit paper by hand and still put 3 good coats of primer and it will fill the scratches in. There's no need to waste time sanding the hell out of it to get it perfectly smooth. That's what the primer is for. Just make sure it's flat. Here's a link to my first box I built out of fiberglass from just reading on this board.

http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=2760&password=&sort=1&cat=2

Any brand will work fine for a speaker box. I've paid almost 200 bucks a gallon for ppg before, but that was for a truck body. I use the cheapest I can find for speaker boxes. I pay about 20 dollars a quart with hardner for RM. Also when you are sanding , it doesn't have to be perfect. The panel needs to be flat, you can leave scratches with as low as say 50 grit paper by hand and still put 3 good coats of primer and it will fill the scratches in. There's no need to waste time sanding the hell out of it to get it perfectly smooth. That's what the primer is for. Just make sure it's flat. Here's a link to my first box I built out of fiberglass from just reading on this board.http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=2760&password=&sort=1&cat=2

thanks

i see your from louisiana also im from the south lafayette area.

can you post a pic of what the can looks like or post a link of the company that makes it.

thanks again

jamie

I don't have any laying around. Just go to any automobile paint store and tell them you want a 2k primer surfacer. Any brand will work (Transtar, PPG, RM Limco, Rubberseal, Dupont, Omni) . There's really no need in using expensive primer on a speaker box, it's not subject to the abuse of an exterior paint job where adhesion is very important. Also, spray cans have very little build . Also get you some glazing putty to fill pinholes and small spots and use a razor blade to apply.

hey thought id show off my box...its not done yet...started on it in nov. but havent had the weath to work on it...and no garage to work on it in...

getfile.php

getfile.php

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.