Kia Rio replacement stereo

Participant count
  • Participant list

lutonlad

I'd be grateful for any members advice.

I recently purchased a used Kia Rio (2009). The garage informed me that the original Kia stereo was faulty and unrepairable. They undertook to install a replacement with the equivalent spec.

The replacement turned out to be a used, JVC unit (KD G202 if relevant).

Two issues are apparent:

1. It does not appear to support MP3 players. Nothing mentioned about MP3 in the manual, so not surprisingly no output from the remote sockets in the car.

2. Probably a more tricky issue is the fact that the unit does not hold it's settings when turned off.

Radio presets are lost.

Needless to say, I will taking it back to the garage. But I could do with some advice regarding point 2. Is losing the settings likely to be a wiring fault (or incompatability). Or could it be a fault with the unit?

Generally, are there compatability issues when replacing an original Kia unit with a another make?

Thanks for any advice.

The radio not holding settings is likely your 12 volt constant isn't connected properly, if the stock radio had mp3 support you should return it to them and tell them it's not acceptable replacement

The radio not holding settings is likely your 12 volt constant isn't connected properly, if the stock radio had mp3 support you should return it to them and tell them it's not acceptable replacement
Thanks. Do you think it is possible that the garage did not install a wiring harness adapter?

It's a possibility, if so they may have just spliced into the wrong wire, or not even used a 12v constant. If your careful I'm sure you can figure out how to get the deck out and take a peek to see what they did or did not do back there. It should be very obvious if they used an adapter or just spliced into some wiring.

It's a possibility, if so they may have just spliced into the wrong wire, or not even used a 12v constant. If your careful I'm sure you can figure out how to get the deck out and take a peek to see what they did or did not do back there. It should be very obvious if they used an adapter or just spliced into some wiring.
Your help is much appreciated. I will take a look.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.