K&n

Actually makes the perfomance WORSE on my car. Mine came with one, I cleaned it set it up right and then swapped out for the stock paper at the next oil change. The K&N is louder, has larger passageways (read more grit in the engine), and reduced power on my car. I would expect a power gain on most cars but only above 5000rpm or so when the car *gasp* needs air the most.

Actually makes the perfomance WORSE on my car. Mine came with one, I cleaned it set it up right and then swapped out for the stock paper at the next oil change. The K&N is louder, has larger passageways (read more grit in the engine), and reduced power on my car. I would expect a power gain on most cars but only above 5000rpm or so when the car *gasp* needs air the most.
What car do you have?

I had one on my Tahoe, with the Hyper programmer, took the K&N off and I could tell going back to stock... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

? A ///M5 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Well no **** you didnt gain anything. You couldn't gain five horsepower from that engine if you butt-fuked it with a saigon *****, and then stuffed the crankshaft through her bowels.

What I was getting at, was that you can't gain any horsepower from any M engine. (you can, buy it is very expensive, and not worth the gains unless you hate your money)

They let tons of dirt in to your motor Here is a test done by us on a diesel forum. There are some new filters in the works right now made of nanofibers(sp) that should put all of the previous stuff even more to shame.

sri=torquecai=hp
i gotta disagree there, short rams increase volume of air while dcreasing velocity and thats gonna make low end suffer making it mainly useless for upper rpm torque gain... a cold air should be longer and its meant to promote velocity of the air charge which allows the advantages to be seen earlier in the rpm range hence it doesnt sacrifice low end torque like a short ram, it just might not have quite the high rpm peak.

its alot like intake manifolds, single or dual plane and runner length to determine optimum usable rpm range

My CAI gave close to 50 miles to a tank, and more mid to top-end power. The sound changed to a deeper sound, almost like i had an exhaust. I like it and knowing that i done have to change it ever again makes me happy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i gotta disagree there, short rams increase volume of air while dcreasing velocity and thats gonna make low end suffer making it mainly useless for upper rpm torque gain... a cold air should be longer and its meant to promote velocity of the air charge which allows the advantages to be seen earlier in the rpm range hence it doesnt sacrifice low end torque like a short ram, it just might not have quite the high rpm peak.
its alot like intake manifolds, single or dual plane and runner length to determine optimum usable rpm range
I agree. SRI does nothing to increase velocity. In fact, if the pipes are the same size, it doesn't increase volume either.

I'll never again put a K&N or any other oil-based/reusuable filter in my car. Causes nothing but problems if the filter is ever over oiled, etc. It'll leave a residue on your MAF wires
I can't believe you tards missed this.

On a stock engine a K&N filter does nothing except it increases gas milage. A full intake.. perhaps.

A K&N is not increased flow. Its reduced restriction. (Oxymoron?)

Just think about it...

A stock 4.6L flows approx 300 cfm of airflow. The stock paper filter flows approx 500 cfm. A K&N panel (new) flows approx 800 cfm. A K&N conical flows approx 1,000 cfm. So what good will a filter that flows 1,000 cfm of airflow do for an engine that only requires 300 cfm of air?

So unless you want bling its a waste in a way. Unless you have a non-stock engine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

whats wrong with increased gas mileage ?

Gas cost enough as it is getting more MPG is a good thing.

High flow filter sounds a lot better than reduced restriction filter.

All in the marketing....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.