Just wondering peoples opinions

Participant count
  • Participant list

MMast
10+ year member

I currently have 2 JL 12w3d6's (Dual 6 Ohm) 300 RMS each. that I payed $40 for but they need new surrounds. I have checked on ebay the surround repair kits are going for around $40. so together I would have about $80 wrapped up in them. But my problem is I don't have an amp that is 3 Ohms stable. I have asked multiple people about what would happen, local car audio shop claims that if I use an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and 4 ohms I will blow the subs. I have posted a thread on here in the past and multiple people told me that I would be fine running them on an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and 4 ohms. But, locally on craigslist there is a guy with what appears to be 2 JL 10w1's which are 300 RMS each for $115 which have never been used. This would be my first system.. I just want something that will last me and have decent sound quality. Also if anyone can suggest amps that would be less than like $130 (since I'm on a somewhat limited budget) that would fit I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

...local car audio shop claims that if I use an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and 4 ohms I will blow the subs.
Never, ever, go to that shop again. This is an extremely basic question, and they still fucked the answer up completely. They were either trying to manipulate you into buying something from them, or they just dont have a fucking clue what they are talking about. Either way, stay away.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help especially from people who have been on the car audio scene longer than I've been alive, but I was wondering what people's opinions would be on repairing the 12w3's or just buying the 10's...

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.