just what exactly do you guys mean by "old school"?

If you remember the MTX Terminator, you may be old-skool.

Sadly, I remember when I was the first person in my whole area to buy a CD player for my car stereo setup, which at the time was an Alpine unit that led downstream to a Denon amp that pushed a hifonics 12 in a sealed box. I had pioneer (or sony) 6.5s in the dash if my dodge caravan. The year was 1993.

I went WAY beyond reason in 1994 when I went to a 12-disc (RF-modulated, of course) Pioneer changer WITH A REMOTE. Unfortunately, that car got wrecked and I went to a Jeep Cherokee that I used to haul around a Soundstream amp pushing 1/2 ohm into an Orion DVC 12 in what was for the time a TINY 1.25 cu ft box. That was during the time when EVERYONE was running ported enclosures and just ignoring space considerations. I revamped that system with a Punch 200ix running two RF Punch Audiophile 10s in 2.3 cu ft each, ported. Front stage was a set of Orion 5.25 components powered by a variety of amps- first the Denon, then the Soundstream, then an Alpine 3527, followed by a PPI 100x2 (don't remember the model #), then lastly a Punch 100ix. I had the AudioControl EQ that was (I believe) 13 bands per channel. I also had the 7-dial Pioneer EQ with the sub control. If you had multiple EQs and multiple Punch amps, you were a BALLER back then. I had also switched to a Clarion ProAudio in-dash.

THat summer, I upgraded to what I really felt was the gold-standard for car audio at the time- at least on a budget. Of all of the systems that I had, this MAY have been my favorite.

I upgraded one of the Punch amps to a second 200ix and made a sweet amp rack to display everything, went to 2 punch SVC 12s in a 1.25 per sid sealed box, sold off the Orions and the Audiocontrol, and picked up the ULTIMATE components of the time: MB Quarts! I was in heaven with my dynomatted doors with 5.25" mids down low and the tweets up near the door handles. I rocked that for 2 years, until I got another cherokee. After that, my systems got smaller and more reasonable until I got to where I am now: nothing in the car.

Well, that was a nice walk down memory lane. I think back at all of the money that I wasted and it makes me realize how addicting this hobby really is. I see myself falling victim to it again, having already bough 3 sets of speakers that I will likely never use. I keep finding a "better" deal, and I go for it. That is how I used to build systems when I was 16. How (why?) I am doing it now at 29, I don't understand.

On well, I have stopped the bleeding for now.

The Audiocontrol EQ you are thinking about is the EQL. 2 channel 13 bands per channel.

The Terminators were fun, but you might really be old school if you 1) remember the MTW Eliminator 2) remember what it was designed for and 3) remember what color the cone was.

MB Quarts were in all the winning installs of the day, but a/d/s speakers were in all the best sounding cars of the time.

If you remember the PPI2350DM you just might be old school...

If you remember the Soundstream MC300 and MC500 you just might be old school...

If you remember the series designation of the first JL Audio subs that were available other than directly from Speaker Warehouse you just might be old school...

If you remember when all crossovers were stand alone external devices you just might be old school...

If you have a copy of Dynamix II "The Album" you just might be old school...

If you remember the Linear Power 2202IQ or "The Runt" you just might be old school...

If you remember the model numbers of the first two Phoenix Gold amps you just might be old school...

If you remember a time before "Solobaric" and know how they got the name in the first place you just might be old school...

If you know the name of the other Stillwater Designs brand besides Kicker you just might be old school...

I you remember when running a 2 channel amp in 3 channel mode was almost standard you just might be old school...

If you remember when JL Audio only made subs you just might be old school...

If you remember when 4ga power wire was considered HUGE you just might be old school...

If you rememeber when most all amps had lengths of wire coming out of them for power and speaker connections rather than terminals you just might be old school...

I keep finding a "better" deal, and I go for it. That is how I used to build systems when I was 16. How (why?) I am doing it now at 29, I don't understand.
I'm that way with amps at 31 so don't feel bad. Newest amp I own is over 10yrs old, too. Currently 1 car and 12 working amps laying around from 4 different Old School lines (5 Orion HCCAs, 2 PG limited edition amps, 2 PG MS/MPS amps and 3 US Amps USA series). Having 11 subs from 5 different lines around is no help either (3 of them date back to my high school days).

The Audiocontrol EQ you are thinking about is the EQL. 2 channel 13 bands per channel.
That was it.

The Terminators were fun, but you might really be old school if you 1) remember the MTW Eliminator 2) remember what it was designed for and 3) remember what color the cone was.
Wasn't it designed to go in a hearse? I don't remember the particulars- the install was right before my interest started, but I remember pics of it in CE&A...

If you remember a time before "Solobaric" and know how they got the name in the first place you just might be old school...
I remember that, and I know that the name came from 1 speaker acting as if it was isobarically mounted, which utilized running 2 subs face to face and out of phase to 1/2 the enclosure volume. I think they could be front to rear as well, and in phase...

I you remember when running a 2 channel amp in 3 channel mode was almost standard you just might be old school...
If you remember when JL Audio only made subs you just might be old school...

If you remember when 4ga power wire was considered HUGE you just might be old school...

If you rememeber when most all amps had lengths of wire coming out of them for power and speaker connections rather than terminals you just might be old school...
I also vividly remember the last four...particularly the old punch amps that had the 10-gauge directly attached...

(Am I really that old?)

1) Had one (ESW154, 15")

2) Infinite baffle/"freeair

3) Very light ("dove"?) gray.

Hooked to a bridged Orion 280GX with a custom-made boost filter (tuned to 17 Hz!) it had a MEASURED f3 of 14 Hz in the back of my '84 VW Quantum. And would do 120dB+ at 20 Hz!

MB Quarts were in all the winning installs of the day, but a/d/s speakers were in all the best sounding cars of the time.
Those MBs were great drivers... you just needed to do your own crossovers. With the right custom crossovers, they pwned the ADS drivers! Much better midbass and midrange "speed"!

If you remember the PPI2350DM you just might be old school...
See that, and raise you an Orion "Beast"... SX2250 and/or HCCA2100

If you remember the Soundstream MC300 and MC500 you just might be old school...
Yep... and how about the even-earlier D50s and D100s? Dual-mono, even down to the power transformers!

If you remember the series designation of the first JL Audio subs that were available other than directly from Speaker Warehouse you just might be old school...
Either W2 or W5... we sold them, in 1991...

If you remember when all crossovers were stand alone external devices you just might be old school...
Alphasonik EX2 and EX3

Linear XO2

(...)

If you have a copy of Dynamix II "The Album" you just might be old school...
See that, and raise you a copy of DJ Magic Mike & The Royal Posse... "Feel The Bass (Speaker Terror Upper)"...

If you remember the Linear Power 2202IQ or "The Runt" you just might be old school...
Bah... the Alphasonik A225 would toast both of them!

One speaker, that works just like a isobaric pair!

Ah, the infamous "Mixed Mono Mode". Used to run Alphasonik A2035s, A240Bs and A2050s that way, all the time...

Regards,

Gordon.

If you rember using a Muntz 4 Track under dash, you're too **** old.

Like me.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

1) Had one (ESW154, 15")2) Infinite baffle/"freeair

3) Very light ("dove"?) gray.
Those were the ones.
Those MBs were great drivers... you just needed to do your own crossovers. With the right custom crossovers, they pwned the ADS drivers! Much better midbass and midrange "speed"!
All the great cars of the time had very extensive custom passives, especially the ones coming out of Speaker Warehouse. Did you ever see the passive network that was in the Blazer? Took up its own drawer in the amp rack that was about 2'x4'.
See that, and raise you an Orion "Beast"... SX2250 and/or HCCA2100
Own one of the latter to this day along with 4 other HCCA amps.
Yep... and how about the even-earlier D50s and D100s? Dual-mono, even down to the power transformers!
One of the nicest things about the Soundstreams was the fact that they were the first that I can remember that had screw down direct insert terminal for all the power and speaker connections. The screws ******, but the idea was good.
Either W2 or W5... we sold them, in 1991...
Yep, W5 was the first with the original W3 being the 8" model in that line. The W1 was next, I have one in nearly perfect shape from '92 and still have the original box for it.
Alphasonik EX2 and EX3Linear XO2
Coustic XM-1 and XM-3.
See that, and raise you a copy of DJ Magic Mike & The Royal Posse... "Feel The Bass (Speaker Terror Upper)"...
Got that one, too.
Bah... the Alphasonik A225 would toast both of them!
Quite possibly, especially considering that the Runt didn't have a switching power supply and was only 16W per channel. Difference was I could get Linear Power in my hometown. Not so much Alphasonik.
One speaker, that works just like a isobaric pair!
Ah, yes...but how?

If you rember using a Muntz 4 Track under dash, you're too **** old.
Like me.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
If you're that old, you don't "remember" it either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Only pictures...Black and white pictures taken with a box camera in fact. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Muntz 4-track? wow, you must have been using electrical tape and flathead screws!! This definitely. deserves it's own category. Maybe "pre-school"?

MB Quartz: Mine are still going strong after nearly 20 years now. I got'em as a reward for having done 23 installs in a single day. (i was the only one who showed up for work one Sat. morning). This was no easy feat. considering a lot of these were "sandwich-plate" installs during the time before the "din chasis". But yeah, my MB's sound just as tight and crisp ,even after be reinstall nearly a dozen times now. They currently reside in my son's first car.

If you're that old, you don't "remember" it either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Only pictures...Black and white pictures taken with a box camera in fact. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

How about under the dash 45 players ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I remember the Phoenix Amps (the first one I saw was Grey).. I think their tag line was these amps can drive Nails .. or something..

I remember the MTX Eliminators. I found a Trashed MTX Blue Thunder woofer at my parent's House..

I still have CA&E issues from 1991-993 and the CA&E April issue with new equipment Directory.. they still do that?

My first used amp was a 4 channel Ultimate that was bridgeable.. I also had bought cheap Pyramid amps (PB1000 was one) in High school I did not have much extra $$$

Then I moved up at Bought a Gen I Orion 280GX, which my friend still uses.

in 1992 I bought a new Orion HCCA 225 ( which I still have, although trying to sell)

I also had a Phoenix gold M44 as well as a MS275.

I remember when JL Audio made just subs, I had a Pair of 10s I forgot the flavor..

My first Subs were Pyle 12" then followed by Kicker Free air 12" on a Baffle board in my camaro.. LOL

then a Pair of Kicker C10s When the dust caps read KICKER in outlined gold lettering

I also had a pair of Orion XTR 10s in 1992..

I thought all the systems back then were cool running everything off a 2 channel amp, which I did with my HCCA and a Firebird, sounded good for the budget system it was.

Stereo shops were more plentiful, many of them now are gone, or Cellular and alarm only shops, or in one case now an Import tuner (no more stereos)

If anyone is from the Chicago Suburbs I bet they remember Ray's Tool and Electronics in Bensenville (first in Itasca).. closed then reopened year later as Rays Electronics in Addison..

those were the days..

Who had the demo that involved welding with their line of amplifiers ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wow, posts like these bring back all sortsa memories. My Alpine 7390 pullout tape deck with a remote...a remote! Back in those days that was some crazy stuff. I had some of the oldschool kickers, with the gold lettering, stuffed into a badly designed ported box (basically just cut a hole and rocked it).....thank god I can't lay claim to having made that. I remember reading thru the CA&E magazines looking at the directory of all the manufactures, and wishing I could afford some of it. I remember seeing the article on the waveguides when they first came out, I remember when aura made "bass shakers". I remember the first dj magic mike tape (being in florida helps) and when the south was referred to as the "bass belt". When the show cars were still daily drivers, and sitting in the kicker van at a car show and thinking my god I thought my heart was gonna stop! I remember the alpine double din tuner/cd player, and alomst bought it! ( Seperate single din tuner, seperate single din dedicated cd player) I remember when solobaric enclosures were the **** (I'm still hooked on them personally, I love the cone control) and when kicker capitalized on make a small enclosure woofer that they named "solobaric". (Solobaric clamshell boxes were tiny compared to anything else, hence a small enclosure woofer became "solobaric"). I remember rocking coustic 360 amps, and even a coustic tape deck at one point. I remember just tossing my box with a pyramid sub and an aperiodic dome (yeah right!) on the back seat, to heck with the trunk. Fosgate DSM amps using surface mount technology OMG! Alpine half din eq's, grey ppi's, carver amps, sansiu amps (ppi really) Alphasonik 225? I think I still have one, just sold off a 250.Lots of people have said what they feel to be old school, and I most certainly agree....but old school was more than specific model numbers, it was and is a state of mind when the hobby was just that, a hobby, and only a few people could put together a good system. Back when people were still figuring it all out, and trying different setups out. These days you can go anywhere with a credit card and have a good system in a day or two, no blood/sweat/tears or even research on your part. Heck, in some ways its almost mandatory to have a good system, just to keep up with the joneses...... Thats my thoughts on what back in the day is, at any rate.

...I remember rocking coustic 360 amps, and even a coustic tape deck at one point...
My first aftermarket car audio purchase (late 80s) was a Coustic RX504 dual-shaft cassette deck.

It was full-featured as far as functionality for the tape section....it had tape search, tuner recall, auto reverse, etc etc etc but as it was an analog tuner (who had digital displays back then? It certainly wasn't me!) and all the buttons under the display were reserved for the various goodies on the tape deck it had no radio presets. You wanted the radio on a different station? Get a firm grip on that righthand knob and get to twisting!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.