just what exactly do you guys mean by "old school"?

I don't know anything about this stuff, kind of glad I didn't have to go through all that old school stuff. Now it's just plug and play. Oh yeah my Nana still has a pullout Pioneer tape player lol.

Anybody heard of PSL? I think it stands from Phillips Sound Labs.. I have an old 4 channel amp from them, white, with red lettering, think it puts out 50 x 4, but I could never actually find out any concret info on this company or amp. Just curious..

Wow ran across this thread and had to read it. I was just having a conversation with someone about this.

I remember going to Pamida and pushing the power button on the Kraco boosters to hear the panels on the display rattle. Sanyo and Pioneer 6 x 9 were practically subs. Paying $200 for a punch 15 with about a 30 ounce magnet and 3 mm of excursion. Petras subs with almost a 1/2" of throw. Holy sh t. I remember going to the welding shop and buying 2 gauge and the guys thought I was nuts. Having a second battery meant you could be heard for a mile. We 2 15's and 400 watts was king. I still have my ppi 2075am series amp. That thing would over heat until smoke came out around the rcas and would turn back on. I remember having to add 2 fans by the amp so you could jam out during the summer without the amp shutting off every 10 minutes. No body talked about rodek amps, I had some of the 300 x 2. They were litterally 4 feet long. And were bridgeable. Absolutely amazing. I remember when Hifonics was only for competitors. When fiberglass was only for trained professionals. Or what about the ads. 140 db for $400. I remember when John Henry founder of Treo had a little shop in the back of a wharehouse. That is old school.

American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ. Rockford Fosgate, Orion, MTX, Phoenix Gold....
Audio Control EQT's, Coustic Amp460, Linear Power, Ads Powerplate. Altec Lansing components, USD Waveguides, Stillwater Designs (Gold Lettering), Punch45, Punch75, Punch150, Power300, Power650, Power1000, Orion 225HCCA, 250HCCA, XTreme100, Xtreme Subs, PPI Art Series amps, M&M Godfathers, 6 green button Alpine , 7909, McIntosh MX5000, MCD5000, MC4000M. When Rear Fill was king, Centerchannels ruled, kickpanels were non-existant. When SQ meant 8 15's and a pair of 4x6 plates. Pioneer just introduced the Supertuner FM tuner.

Sony ES was king and Eclipse didn't exist. When Clarion was a joke and Jensen Quadrax 6x9's were the best. Old School now is a state of mind. A time to take you back to the roots of car audio. A time when 400w was alot, and 5000w was unheard of. Back before Dampner, when a true system was hooked up with 4g wire, no "big 3" or caps. When IASCA was formed from the Car Audio Nationals (Alpine Nationals), When USAC was just for SPL.

We remember the time when you used Optima (Radio Shack) free air woofers, a 7-band 250w Pyramid Graphic EQ crusing down the local drag while blasting "Time for a Soda".

Aaaaaaa....those were the days.
old skool is relative to one's age....for instance, some of the old farts, myself included, can remember when the old skool pullouts first came out and it was cool to walk around the mall carrying the whole **** headunit by the handle. and JC Whitney had these things that went over the headunit and actually locked into the dash, thus keeping your headunit safe from would-be thieves.
American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ-If it was made in either of these two places you bought it period.

These two Quotes make my feel like high school. Nothing like carrying your headunit around with you. Go to dinner no problem just place the HU on the table.

Does anyone remember when Yamaha still made car audio. I loved there HU, some one broke into my truck and stole the one I had and by that time they had gotten out of car audio.

American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ-If it was made in either of these two places you bought it period.
You forgot Portland, OR. I still put Phoenix Gold above the other US amps of the late 80's / early 90's.
Does anyone remember when Yamaha still made car audio. I loved there HU, some one broke into my truck and stole the one I had and by that time they had gotten out of car audio.
Yes. Sweet amps, too. Built one of the first DSP units as well.

You forgot Portland, OR. I still put Phoenix Gold above the other US amps of the late 80's / early 90's.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif You would.

Yep.

My first amplifier that was actually worth owning was a Yamaha amp driving a Kicker Super II enclosure.

That amp took all the abuse I threw at it and never so much as hiccuped back.

Man, I loved my Yamaha (green lighting) deck.

My Kenwood 999.

My Blaupunkt stalk EQ.

Alphasonik PMA amps.

Concord.

Autotek Bass Thrust amplifiers.

Clear poly woofers.

I love the look of the old Alpines with the square, frosted green buttons.

Technics car audio?

I remember when:

Special Edition, Sansui, and even Pyramid sold amps stuffed with PPI boards.

I remember car audio before DEI devoured, masticated, and puked it back up.

I remember when you had to MOUNT a cd head unit because it weighed 3-5 pounds.

I really miss Altec Lansing carbon fiber components.

I'm old enough to remember when Pyle Driver was good.

IIRC Alpine made a 10 cassette trunk mount changer that came out the same year as Sony's first CD changer..and quickly died because of it. (not sure if I'm dreamin this or not but it sure seems real in my memory)

I remember buying one of the first albums on CD (Dire Straits - money for nothing).

I also remember one of the big selling points of CD's was the fact that you could scratch the hell out of them and they still played..I even remember the salesmen playing a CD that looked like it was attacked with a DA sander and it played without a skip. What happened to that anyway? Nowdays the littlest smudge makes them skip. Heck the CD's were thicker and heavier back then too.

I remember re-recording all my cassettes to a hotter (louder) mix on my TEAC tape decks for more spl in the car.

Jeez, I feel as old as George Washington now.

WTF is that supposed to mean? I've run pretty much nothing but Orion amps since '91. Swapped out my 225s for a PG Son of Frank and was extremely pleased with the result.
Calm down brother, I was just yanking your chain. Old school PG and Orion were good stuff. As well as old school PPI and Rockford. I merely said that to get a rise out of you so you would explain more into it. NOT to get you riled up.

Wow! just signed up here and found this thread. Those were the good old days. My 83 cougar with an 2 mtx terminators, and my two bass tubes, powered by some pos jensen amp (that i still have somewhere) and i'm preety sure it was a rockwood for the tubes. rockin my benzi box. **** i feel old now.

Great thread!

I remember my first "real" HU, a pioneer ke-1900qr where the "qr" stood for quick release, their designation for a pullout radio. It got stolen and I upgraded to another pioneer deck with "full logic control" and dolby B. KEH 8000QR i think.

what about the old Panasonic top load 6 disc changers, the old blue Lanzar Opti drives, coustic xm-5e crossovers, and the round solobarics. Who else remembers the CRT touchscreens that Buick and Oldsmobile had back in the day?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.