just what exactly do you guys mean by "old school"?

The Audiocontrol EQ you are thinking about is the EQL. 2 channel 13 bands per channel.
The Terminators were fun, but you might really be old school if you 1) remember the MTW Eliminator 2) remember what it was designed for and 3) remember what color the cone was.

MB Quarts were in all the winning installs of the day, but a/d/s speakers were in all the best sounding cars of the time.

If you remember the PPI2350DM you just might be old school...

If you remember the Soundstream MC300 and MC500 you just might be old school...

If you remember the series designation of the first JL Audio subs that were available other than directly from Speaker Warehouse you just might be old school...

If you remember when all crossovers were stand alone external devices you just might be old school...

If you have a copy of Dynamix II "The Album" you just might be old school...

If you remember the Linear Power 2202IQ or "The Runt" you just might be old school...

If you remember the model numbers of the first two Phoenix Gold amps you just might be old school...

If you remember a time before "Solobaric" and know how they got the name in the first place you just might be old school...

If you know the name of the other Stillwater Designs brand besides Kicker you just might be old school...

I you remember when running a 2 channel amp in 3 channel mode was almost standard you just might be old school...

If you remember when JL Audio only made subs you just might be old school...

If you remember when 4ga power wire was considered HUGE you just might be old school...

If you rememeber when most all amps had lengths of wire coming out of them for power and speaker connections rather than terminals you just might be old school...

I'm that way with amps at 31 so don't feel bad. Newest amp I own is over 10yrs old, too. Currently 1 car and 12 working amps laying around from 4 different Old School lines (5 Orion HCCAs, 2 PG limited edition amps, 2 PG MS/MPS amps and 3 US Amps USA series). Having 11 subs from 5 different lines around is no help either (3 of them date back to my high school days).

I guess old school is my whole system. mBQuartQ's. Alpine7915. A/D/S ph15= HifonicsZues-the real ones- Audiocontrol EQX- RichardMarsh-davidNavoe Monster Capacitor. Top of line monster cables... Fosgate 15's sealed- dynamat insulated trunk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif RTA tuned...

I wonder how my system stacks up to todays new school gear and if it would get blown away.

And everyone pretty much forgot two of the most important players in the game back in the day, well, at least to me.. Original Lanzar built in CALIFORNIA! And Zed built Hifonics.

Heres what I have. And yes, thats an ironing board. Makes for a pretty good work bench. You can adjust the hight

all.jpg

Autotek 7100 BTS when they were made in the USA. I bought it used in 89 or 90.

autoteektop.jpg

autoteekside.jpg

Small 4 Channel Blaupunkt.

blaupunkt.jpg

Old Fultron tape deck. Believe it or not, it sounded pretty good for what it was.

fultronfront.jpg

fultrontop.jpg

My wife bought this for me the Christmas after we were married. Yes its a pullout.

panasonicfront.jpg

panasonictop.jpg

Here is the Punch 75 I bought from jmanpc. Done a little restoration on it. Need to do a bit more but it looks pretty good.

punchtop.jpg

punchside.jpg

Heres a few of my old school amps.

The US Acoustics (2x300w) I just bought two months ago, the Zapco Z220 I've owned since new-

Heres the original birthsheet for the Zapco-

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That was the exact model CD player I had in my car in HS. Bought it new in '91.
Worked great for years!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Still works as far as I know. I havent used it in a while. I do know that when I took it out, the CD player was having a few issues.

The Audiocontrol EQ you are thinking about is the EQL. 2 channel 13 bands per channel.
I think I still have one of those in the storage unit somewhere... have thought about selling it. They were the shiznet to have "back in the day"-- LOL!!! I believe the cover even still has FLEKSTONE paint on it! -- Oy-Vey! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Edit: come to think of it...I believe what I have is the old 2 channel AC EQX 13 channel with the change-able crossover chip (under that aluminum plate, in the botom). I will have to find the 'ol monster and put up pics of it...

American Made amps in Tempe and Phoenix AZ. Rockford Fosgate, Orion, MTX, Phoenix Gold....
Audio Control EQT's, Coustic Amp460, Linear Power, Ads Powerplate. Altec Lansing components, USD Waveguides, Stillwater Designs (Gold Lettering), Punch45, Punch75, Punch150, Power300, Power650, Power1000, Orion 225HCCA, 250HCCA, XTreme100, Xtreme Subs, PPI Art Series amps, M&M Godfathers, 6 green button Alpine , 7909, McIntosh MX5000, MCD5000, MC4000M. When Rear Fill was king, Centerchannels ruled, kickpanels were non-existant. When SQ meant 8 15's and a pair of 4x6 plates. Pioneer just introduced the Supertuner FM tuner.

Sony ES was king and Eclipse didn't exist. When Clarion was a joke and Jensen Quadrax 6x9's were the best. Old School now is a state of mind. A time to take you back to the roots of car audio. A time when 400w was alot, and 5000w was unheard of. Back before Dampner, when a true system was hooked up with 4g wire, no "big 3" or caps. When IASCA was formed from the Car Audio Nationals (Alpine Nationals), When USAC was just for SPL.

We remember the time when you used Optima (Radio Shack) free air woofers, a 7-band 250w Pyramid Graphic EQ crusing down the local drag while blasting "Time for a Soda".

Aaaaaaa....those were the days.

I still think the old-skool Orion and Rockford amps are the best, period! Those amps dominated the car audio scene in their time! I wish Orion hadn't sold out to DEI. They were so much better when they were their own company. Old Skool Lanzar was pretty sick to. Especially their subs!

Why dont they make any more pullout units?
same reason they dont sell as many pocket pal day organizers..when you have a PDA, why would you want to lug around a paper "scheduler"... ?

those old pull outs were FAR easier to steal (as a WHOLE unit) and ****.... where do you hide them...??

Oh ya, thats what briefcases were for! LOL! Face plates are more portable/hideable...

yay for evolution!!!

Worked great for years!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gifStill works as far as I know. I havent used it in a while. I do know that when I took it out, the CD player was having a few issues.
My sister inherited the car when I went to college and the deck got ripped of (and the dash ripped up by the thief trying to get the cage) when she left the car unlocked in her school parking lot.

I still think the old-skool Orion and Rockford amps are the best, period! Those amps dominated the car audio scene in their time! I wish Orion hadn't sold out to DEI. They were so much better when they were their own company. Old Skool Lanzar was pretty sick to. Especially their subs!

I had two Lanzar 15" competition subs back in the early 90's. Good old days....

My first system consisted of two Pioneer 6x9s and a Jensen tape deck then shortly afterwards I stepped up to 2 Pyle Driver 10s and some co-axes in the doors running off of a 40 watt Realistic eq "booster". Around that time one of the loudest systems in my town (and one I will never forget) was in a Toyota regular cab pickup. He had 4 MTX Blue Thunder 8s and two sets of mids/tweets in each door, all running off of a Nakamichi head unit and 4 Punch 45s. That system hooked me on car audio for life. It was also at that time that I started working overtime just to feed my addiction. By that time I had just bought an '85 Monte Carlo and it was time to get some "real" stuff. I saved and scrounged up the cash to get not one but two Sherwood 240s, two Atomic 12s, a set of Polk Plates and a pair of Pioneer 3 1/2s for the dash. I built my own sealed box and amp rack combo that was pimp as **** for the time in my liitle town. The box was a normal rectangle sized to fit tight up against the back seat with an angled face and I built the amp rack into the back with a piano hinged, mirrored lid complete with fans and lighting. I painted the small side windows black from the inside and made carpet covered baffles to house the Polk plates. That was also my first Pioneer Supertuner tape deck. Looking back on it with what I know now, it must have sounded like crap...but thats not the way I remember it lol. I rode that sytem until I joined the Navy (as an electronics technician, surely influenced by my love for car audio) about a year or so later. While I was away in boot camp my wife at the time allowed her friends the use of MY car and I came home to missing subs and amps blown Polks and a deck that ate tapes. I never got over that and I suspect the animosity has alot to do with why she is an "ex" wife now. It took me a couple of years before I was able to get back into the hobby but when I did it was with a vengance. By that time I was rockin a 90 Mustang and the hatch was beggin for some gear. In went two round SoloBaric S-12a subs, PPI Art series 600.2 and A404.2 amps, Audio Control Eq and Crossover, Kenwood Cd player, Infinity Reference components up front and 6X8 coaxes in the rear sail panels, all wired with 4ga and 8ga Stinger wire and interconnects. I loved that sytem to death and so did alot of others. I eventually ran into financial problems after my divorce and regrettably sold off most of it. That was the last "old school" setup I had. I have had a few setups since then that have been much cleaner, louder, and more accurate but those first ones are what kept me in this thing till the end.

When certain people from Florida (who will not be named //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) were caught CHEATING at a contest, with hidden Rockford-Fosgate Power 1000 amps (hidden INSIDE a sub enclosure), in a Suburban that CLAIMED to only be powered by a bunch of Punch 45 amps (I saw this in person!).

tell me:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.