JL W3 and W6, Alpine Type R and Adire Brahma

I love my W12D4. Not the best in any metric but for a mass available sub, it seems to be one of the better ones.

Based on what?
My unsolicited opinion...
I suppose it's all dependent on your definition of SQ. If it works for you fine, but in the world of higher-end Sq guys where "sound quality" can become a competitive pursuit or obsession I'd guess the sub you listed would be less than ideal.
So many definitions on Sq out there... daily good sound is usually subjective to the user, but can encompass a wide range of subs/enclosure types/tunings.
Generally in my experience if a decent driver is used, enclosure done right, in conjunction with a strong capable front-stage with great install.... voila!... SQ
There's more to it than that obviously but comes back to your definition of "Sound Quality"
Lol... that setup below sounds good to me, can actually be pleasant to listen to for extended periods but to most "SQ" guys I'd bet the experience of demoing it would bring some pretty funny reactions and a few lectures about "SQ".

Last edited:
The Type R is more of an SPL sub, and not a bad one at that. Back when it was THE forum boner people were hitting impressive numbers with it. It's definitely not considered an SQ sub. When you ask about SQ here we assume you mean competition level, when in actuality most just want a loud system that doesn't sound like ass. My personally choice of the ones listed would be the Brahma.

The Type R is more of an SPL sub, and not a bad one at that. Back when it was THE forum boner people were hitting impressive numbers with it. It's definitely not considered an SQ sub. When you ask about SQ here we assume you mean competition level, when in actuality most just want a loud system that doesn't sound like ass. My personally choice of the ones listed would be the Brahma.
I guess my ears hear differently then yours then. I find my 1st gen type r to be very accurate, tight, and loud for one 12...not even in the same zip code as sloppy....in a sealed enclosure. I listen to metal with lots of double bass drum...sloppy is something my type r is not! I’ve heard sloppy inaccurate subs.

I literally ask because I own all of them, and I am curious of the opinions. Currently running 2 JL10w3v3’s and I am so happy with them. Before my two 10in setup I ran a single Type R 12, then after a new production single Adire Brahma 12 and really liked it. I am not interested in SPL which is why I asked from a SQ standpoint so it’s interesting to hear different opinions. I feel like a second Brahma is calling my name in the future.

I guess my ears hear differently then yours then. I find my 1st gen type r to be very accurate, tight, and loud for one 12...not even in the same zip code as sloppy....in a sealed enclosure. I listen to metal with lots of double bass drum...sloppy is something my type r is not! I’ve heard sloppy inaccurate subs.
First off, I never said it was sloppy. Second, yes everyone's ears, eyes, nose, and mouth perceive things differently because everyone's brain is different. You can argue all you want. Can a Type R sound decent, sure, but it's not an SQ sub. So **** it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.