Jl sub upgrade question. Help appreciated

Not sure if the enclosure is bad, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. To me, it sounds as if the subs are sometimes putting out frequencies that they shouldn't be and are really inconsistent depending on the song. Would any of this have to do with it not being hooked up to the pre outs? Basically, what I have gotten from this is that if I hook up my subs to the pre outs and get it tuned correctly with my system, they should sound pretty good. I think this would be my best option and then decide if new subs would be worth it once I actually got the most out of the kicker comps and actually see their potential...

Is the $260 for used or new? If for new that is definitely not overpriced and in my mind is a great deal, only $130 per sub. Retaill/overprice for them is $260 for each sub. Usually for new, the lowest I see them for is around $160 ea. I'm not saying that they are the best or better than what was mentioned, but they are pretty good sounding subs.

I have mine tapped into the rear speakers with a LOC, and they bang hard/ sound fine. Don't know how much of a difference the HU would make, but I doubt it would be that drastic.
If you want to have the worst speakers on the block then by all means by JL. Get some quality subs like Audioques or Sundowns.

JL = pile of dog poo:nono:
What a troll

The deal at a local shop was 320 for 2 JL W3s but I have 60 dollars store credit to the store. Was thinking it might be worth it to pick them up at 260. Possibly getting the 12" 4ohm

What a troll
thank you ive seen like over 4 posts from this guy flaming on jl with no explanation as to why. I don't care that he has his biases personally i hat pyle, and phyamid but i could tell you why.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

The deal at a local shop was 320 for 2 JL W3s but I have 60 dollars store credit to the store. Was thinking it might be worth it to pick them up at 260. Possibly getting the 12" 4ohm
thats actually a good deal, because i think they are 180 each on ebay, for that price from a shop i would say do it, if you dont like it you can sell them for $300 used no problem.

If its playing frequencies you don't want to hear, that could be due to you using a LOC with an amp that doesn't have a very clean LPF, lower than 12db/octave.... If you want to clean up the signal, run your amp off of the subwoofer out or run an EQ in-line between the LOC and amp to cut some more unwanted freq's.

Well that's still your $60 isn't it? either way if you just wanna spend it, 260 for the pair aint bad. I might pick em up for that and then just sell em at like 400 for the pair. I'm sure someone on ebay or craigslist would want them.

But I think you need to adjust your settings and get it tuned better. If you're willing to make the drive to Murrieta, I'd be more than happy to help you with everything at no charge. Or if you wanna go at it on your own at home, we could give you some tips. From the sound of it so far, it's definitely bad crossover settings. Hooking it up to the headunit direct may help, and then adjusting on the amp will help more. I'd get it all tuned well before looking to new subs.

The Enclosure is sealed, so that's likely not the problem; though I'd go over it with silicone and seal it extra good to make sure there's no air-leaks. Also, did you buy your enclcosure online, or do you happen to know the volume of it? The subs might not have enough air as well.

thank you ive seen like over 4 posts from this guy flaming on jl with no explanation as to why. I don't care that he has his biases personally i hat pyle, and phyamid but i could tell you why. 

Let me ask you this would you buy JL?

The problem is, JL makes good stuff pretty much all around. It's just ridiculously marketed and priced. I hate just about every big name brand, but not because the products don't perform well. Because they've sold out on pricing themselves competitively, and continually pushing and striving for a new and improved product, and providing good customer service. JL subs are good SQ subs, just not worth their retail price.

To help my cause here not by any-means saying jl is the best, because its simply not true. but i have had my fair share of products, and have installed for customers many more, even some wired hong kong brands.

I feel i get good prices (wouldn't loose when i go to sell) and although i hate that they are audio giants they do make good products and my w6s are the best sounding woofer i have ever heard IMO. i agree that they are way over priced.

I rest my case then....

You can't tell me you would want to pay over $2.5k for 1 sub 1 amp combo of a JL system when there is way better stuff out there for that price.

IMHO a w3v3 is comparable to many $80 subs. If you want to double down for the name, that is your business. I am not a JL hater. I have 2 vehicles with them in right now. I end up buying a lot of jl subs off craigslist when the ads are about to expire, lowball them bad, then resale for about double. They are not terrible subs. The w3 isn't really known for output, but it can be pretty musical in a good box. Personally I would put the 260 towards a better pair of subs and use the 60 for something else.

I actually like JL equipment, (I'm running some of their equipment in two different vehicles now) but I seriously doubt two W3's could handle 1k RMS for long.

What about Alpine Type-r's, I've heard pretty good things abuout them. Looking for 2-12" subs in around 250-300 for both range. Looking for SQ but would like them to be decently loud

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.