JL 10W7 sub...

Originally posted by kmu The power you are giving that sub is all right... in fact that amp is just perfect for it... I've heard 2 10W7 powered by a JL1000.1 in a Camry and it sounded awsome... The only problem with that sub is that you need great mid bass from your components...

There are 3 problems that you can have.

1- You are using a factory H/U

2- The box is not right ( please give us box measurements)

3- Amp not tuned right (check out JL's homepage, it says exactly how to set up that same amp to the 10W7, if you set it up the way they say, and have the right box, you wil be rocking...)

just an idea...
Thoughts on #1: you can safely, and quite easily tap into a factory head unit and get great results. I have 8V balanced preamp outputs from my factory deck.

Rest are variables that may be taken into account. The factory deck is not a problem in this equation though.

I'm sorry to say, but half you people in here dont know what you are talking about..... 1000 watts rms for a 10w7? thats like paying for power you wont even use, and even increasing the chance of blowing your subs if anyone puts the gains up a tad... how ridiculous..... first of all like KMU said, its his freaking head unit... the box is ported and measuring it wont do **** cause its got bracing and whatnot to improve soundquality and get rid of standing waves. the amp and box are fine, the amp COULD POSSIBLY need tuning, but if you ask me, your HU is the foundation of any system. YOu get that first, then your comps, subs amp etc. I shitty head unit produces shitty signal producing shitty base. YOu want 4v RCA cables found on most aftermarket head units and you want to be able to equalize a bit, whether thru the HU or aftermarket equalizer or WHATEVer. Most HU's come with enough base tuning for what your looking for im sure. Whatever you do, dont listen to half these kids talkin about adire and audiobahn. They can't even compare to a 10w7 in that specific box as far as spl or soundquality. So go get a HU, kick ass, and flame on all that read = )

Originally posted by M3thod_Man I'm sorry to say, but half you people in here dont know what you are talking about..... 1000 watts rms for a 10w7? thats like paying for power you wont even use, and even increasing the chance of blowing your subs if anyone puts the gains up a tad... how ridiculous..... first of all like KMU said, its his freaking head unit... the box is ported and measuring it wont do **** cause its got bracing and whatnot to improve soundquality and get rid of standing waves. the amp and box are fine, the amp COULD POSSIBLY need tuning, but if you ask me, your HU is the foundation of any system. YOu get that first, then your comps, subs amp etc. I shitty head unit produces shitty signal producing shitty base. YOu want 4v RCA cables found on most aftermarket head units and you want to be able to equalize a bit, whether thru the HU or aftermarket equalizer or WHATEVer. Most HU's come with enough base tuning for what your looking for im sure. Whatever you do, dont listen to half these kids talkin about adire and audiobahn. They can't even compare to a 10w7 in that specific box as far as spl or soundquality. So go get a HU, kick ass, and flame on all that read = )
Now this one is funny...

Help explain to me why the JL demo vehicle had a single 1000/1 amplifier on EACH w7 will you? I mean heck, I sat in it at IASCA finals and it sounded fantastic, apparently I must know nothing right? Obviously JL audio didn't either, given the fact they put them in there... I mean they are obviously idiots!

You apparently don't realize how pathetically pointless a head unit is in the overall sound quality of a vehicle, I suggest you do some real world testing before you try and blow off at the mouth any more.

It's "bass", not "base" for one, and for a second, I think most here tend to not listen to someone flying around here ranting like they know everything, when they are plainly blowing off at the mouth about products they know nothing about.

I for one have heard both products mentioned, can you say so without lying?

most of this forum is about raving about products w/o really hearing them, or vice versa. we base things on what we have heard from other people. but yes, i do agree that a 1000/1 is fine for a w7. it can take that no problem.

Of course a demo car will have the bigger amp, do you have enough money to make a demo car system? as far as money goes, you dont need to pay that much to get the 10 w7 to do its job. You linked to jl's website to show it can take 1000 watts.... (I've already looked at that web page since im geting a jl 500/1 and a 10w7 myself) I do not disagree, it can with the gains set very low..... however that is not necessary to power it, and when you kids go off about how he needs a bigger amp your full of ****, he doesn't. Also, he has a 10w7... not a w7, of course the bigger sizes take more power....As far as me knowing what i talk about, i AT LEAST know from reading alot within the past 6 months that HU's above all are the foundation to clean signal to all your drivers, PERIOD. You could not possibly be telling me a POS headunit (i wont name a brand because somebody will run at the mouth again) or factory HU for that matter can produce a signal to any output as well as a tope of the line aftermarket one.... If you do know your right and want to prove me wrong, get a source or some type of evidene/article other than yourself and post it. Otherwise i suggest you step down, bend over and take it = )

oh yeah BTW Nas, November? if the date you join shows how much you know about car audio, you are also a newb //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by M3thod_Man Of course a demo car will have the bigger amp, do you have enough money to make a demo car system?
As a matter of fact I do... And I'm sponsored.. Does that count?

Originally posted by M3thod_Man As far as me knowing what i talk about, i AT LEAST know from reading alot within the past 6 months that HU's above all are the foundation to clean signal to all your drivers, PERIOD.
Care to elude on that oh wise one? You can read a lot in 6 months... too bad I've been doing this in the real world for the past 6 years.

Originally posted by M3thod_Man You could not possibly be telling me a POS headunit (i wont name a brand because somebody will run at the mouth again) or factory HU for that matter can produce a signal to any output as well as a tope of the line aftermarket one.... If you do know your right and want to prove me wrong, get a source or some type of evidene/article other than yourself and post it. Otherwise i suggest you step down, bend over and take it = )
I suggest you bend over and take it son, how about DLC design? Heard of DUMAX testing? How about the NXT flat panel designs? Catching on yet or are you still off the page? Missing the idea? Of course you are...

DLC Designs, in their own designed vehicles, are using *FACTORY* head units, with the exact same modification I am doing, in customer vehicles, as well as their own.

Going to try and call them stupid? I'd like to see you try...

How about David Navone engineering? Why on earth would they make tie-ins for FACTORY head units if it was junk?

When you step down off your soapbox about the 'name' on the case of the product you are looking at, you'll realize how pathetic your rant is and how little you actually have to stand on right now.

Heck, lets mock some factory speakers while we are at it...

Lets use my old stock bass drivers in my firebird as an example... junk right?

How does 10mm of linear excursion sound? In a 6.5" woofer. Designed by DLC for delphi, used in several OEM vehicles. Nothing short of an amazing driver properly implimented.

Of course, with the 'delco' name on it, it's junk right?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

You keep dreaming that, I'll keep getting my sixteen volts of rca preout after my EQ unbalances the 8V signal from my deck. Have fun with your 4v preouts. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Did i say you're a newbie? It's called sarcasm, obviously i have no way to judge your knowledge and you have no way to judge mine, yet you post that ima new member....now you tell me wtf that has to do with anything in the first place = )

I would be more worried about getting some nice speakers before running out and buy a nice HU. Don't get me wrong, I think that eventually you'll want to get an aftermarket HU but if you can get a $1000.00 HU and some crappy speakers then you just screwed yourself out of $1000.00. Get some aftermarket speakers to increase some of your SQ.

Oh and M3thod_Man, for the record Adire Brahma's are **** nice subs when you give them plenty of power. :p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.