JL 10W6v2 recone?

Z1NONLY
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have recently acquired a JL 10W6v2.

The foam surround shows cracks when you move the cone by hand and the outer edge of the spider is no longer attached to the basket. (The spider also has a small hole toward the outside edge)

The tinsel leads and VC look good however. This sub sat in a garage for years and the damaged parts appear to have been caused by "neglect" rather than "abuse".

My question is where can I get the needed "soft parts" or who should I send the unit to for repair?

I found some "re-foam" kits for the 10W6v2, but this sub needs more than that.

If that's the case, and JL want's too much money, I will just attempt to reconnect the existing spider. Then order a re-foam kit if the spider repair works.

I have some parts express speaker repair kit glue. The adhesive worked very well on the re-foams I have done.

The spider seems to be under more stress (when a woofer is playing) than the surround though, so I don't know...

I would be more unhappy if I had already invested full retail for the new sub and then had to do this. But this jacked-up sub was free and $155 10W6v2 doesn't sound too bad.

Although, I doubt I'm going to run right out and spend the cash on a woofer I don't even need right now.

I would be more unhappy if I had already invested full retail for the new sub and then had to do this. But this jacked-up sub was free and $155 10W6v2 doesn't sound too bad.
Although, I doubt I'm going to run right out and spend the cash on a woofer I don't even need right now.
That works. Atleast it would be fresh

Well it looks like I will be doing this sooner rather than later.

I just blew old-faithful today with the ZX460 and one of my daughter's dubstep tracks. Both coils read open although there are no other tell-tale signs. No burn marks. No funny smells. Just dead.

And JL doesn't even rebuild the w3v2! I have 4 different 12" subs but the only 10 I have in good condition is the entry-level WX in my work vehicle. I thought I might re-foam an old MMats "professional series" 10 I had. But after digging it out and examining it, a complete re-cone is in order for it as well. (And I doubt it could handle 500 watts)

I guess that old, ratty looking W6v2 will be on its way to JL very soon.

Sent her in today! The serial number sticker had a part that read 11/02 This thing is old.

Here are the before picks. (thing just starts to fall apart when you move the cone)

P1070969.jpg

P1070970.jpg

P1070972.jpg

P1070973.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.