Recone for Incriminator audio Flatlyne 18 to 21"?

Participant count
  • Participant list

just call me KeV
10+ year member

I have an 18" coming tomorrow. I would like to see if it is possible to recone that motor to a 21" The sub is brand new but I wanted to look at options.
The plan originally was to be two 18's but it took over 4 months to get this one. SSA has been one of the most difficult vendors I have ever used. But this post isn't about that and I dont want to start shitshow so any help with recone kits.
Please and thank you.

Last edited:
To use just the motor on a brand new sub? You will need a new frame, cone, spacer, spiders, and most likely a coil depending on how careful it can be taken apart. The other issue is the bolt pattern on the frame will need to Match the motor, if it doesn’t, have to see if the frame can be drilled or a custom machined adapter plate made. This is a lot of money right here. Better off returning the sub or selling it and starting over

To use just the motor on a brand new sub? You will need a new frame, cone, spacer, spiders, and most likely a coil depending on how careful it can be taken apart. The other issue is the bolt pattern on the frame will need to Match the motor, if it doesn’t, have to see if the frame can be drilled or a custom machined adapter plate made. This is a lot of money right here. Better off returning the sub or selling it and starting over
I was just curious. I had to wait for a long time for this driver and the longer I waited I thought that maybe I should have went the 21" route instead. So I thought, "Hey maybe someone has a kit that I can use." Fixmyspeaker has a service request form but they arent taking any new requests so I need to find someone who knows if it's even possible. I can say that I am out of my element when it comes to where to find parts but on the fab side I have a friend who does cnc and could get something made if I had to take it that far.
The impetus of all this was to have those specific motors with the machined look that would match the pro audio midbass that I am mounting inverted that vent into the frame rails of my car. The B&C 8ndl51 has a similar but smaller looking motor and I wanted those front midbass and the subs mounted IB to match.

I am not sure whether the asthetic is worth the cost but if I have to source another 18" anyway... the problem I am having is that when I interacted with Aaron at SSA he couldn't give me a direct answer on fabrication time and it turned into this whole thing. (over the period of 4 months.) When I pressed for a refund and said "I just wanted my money back" I received an email from aaron at SSA saying that I got moved to the front of the build que and that "Parker", who is the owner of the company (Incriminator audio) unbeknownst to me; would be building the sub. It should arrive tomorrow according to UPS.
This is very "long story short" here but the gist of it is that I don't have any confidence I can get another matching sub in a timely fashion, and I don't feel comfortable using ssa audio again for any purchases.
Before anyone loses their stuff I get that there are delays and manufactures can be short on parts and have issues but when I asked for an earnest delivery date I was brushed off twice. (By Aaron at ssa not incriminator audio.) I know I am just an ******* customer and I should have waited and bought both at the same time but all of this couldve been avoided if they told me that it would take a while at the beginning.

Anyway...This is why I am asking the question and I am sorry if it ruffles feathers that is NOT my intent! Just to make that clear.

It can be done, but do you want to spend another say $400-$600 on parts including labor plus shipping both ways?

Last edited:
I am not sure whether the asthetic is worth the cost but if I have to source another 18" anyway... the problem I am having is that when I interacted with Aaron at SSA he couldn't give me a direct answer on fabrication time and it turned into this whole thing. (over the period of 4 months.) When I pressed for a refund and said "I just wanted my money back" I received an email from aaron at SSA saying that I got moved to the front of the build que and that "Parker", who is the owner of the company (Incriminator audio) unbeknownst to me; would be building the sub. It should arrive tomorrow according to UPS.
This is very "long story short" here but the gist of it is that I don't have any confidence I can get another matching sub in a timely fashion, and I don't feel comfortable using ssa audio again for any purchases.
Before anyone loses their stuff I get that there are delays and manufactures can be short on parts and have issues but when I asked for an earnest delivery date I was brushed off twice. (By Aaron at ssa not incriminator audio.) I know I am just an ******* customer and I should have waited and bought both at the same time but all of this couldve been avoided if they told me that it would take a while at the beginning.

Anyway...This is why I am asking the question and I am sorry if it ruffles feathers that is NOT my intent! Just to make that clear.

If the sub is that hard to get, it should be very easy to sell. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard a story like this with ssa so no feathers ruffled. If you really want to go with a 21” and you can get passed the look of the motor, Dayton has the kraken which is probably the best bang for the buck 21” sub you can get. It comes from a factory that the build quality is good (a dud from time to time) and geared for SQ but also will have impressive output. I build my own subs and have thought about getting a pair of these just cause of how cheap they are lol.

If the sub is that hard to get, it should be very easy to sell. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard a story like this with ssa so no feathers ruffled. If you really want to go with a 21” and you can get passed the look of the motor, Dayton has the kraken which is probably the best bang for the buck 21” sub you can get. It comes from a factory that the build quality is good (a dud from time to time) and geared for SQ but also will have impressive output. I build my own subs and have thought about getting a pair of these just cause of how cheap they are lol.
Bro I have definitely checked those out. Partsexpress has been my go-to for a good long while. The kraken looks like a fun driver that would work IB. While I was waiting I had been looking at drivers from B&C, Eminenece, LASE, Beyma, etc.
I can still use the IA sub. Put it in my brothers Jetta maybe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...