JL 10W6 OG’s bs Skar

System will be going in: the trunk of a 2010 Corolla sedan.
The goal: is like any other teenager, bumpin loud to get attention.
HU: is Alpine iLX-W650.
Budget: my son doesn't have a job yet so we're trying to stay cheap with the original thought of using my old 10W6 and amps. Would like to get a box with (2) 10's or even 12's for $300. I was looking at the Skar SDR 12" in the vented box for $280 and Skar RP-1200.1D for $150. With those kind of prices, I'm not convinced it will be worth a darn, but didn't know what today's technology is producing.

I'm in Washougal, WA
Are you talking about this enclosure? If so.. Its almost 38" wide

Last edited:
System will be going in: the trunk of a 2010 Corolla sedan.
The goal: is like any other teenager, bumpin loud to get attention.
HU: is Alpine iLX-W650.
Budget: my son doesn't have a job yet so we're trying to stay cheap with the original thought of using my old 10W6 and amps. Would like to get a box with (2) 10's or even 12's for $300. I was looking at the Skar SDR 12" in the vented box for $280 and Skar RP-1200.1D for $150. With those kind of prices, I'm not convinced it will be worth a darn, but didn't know what today's technology is producing.

I'm in Washougal, WA
Very nice source.Main Horse.. The HU

Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll need an enclosure and would like to keep it 30” wide due to stock suspension supports. I could shim up 32” wide but prefer not. I would prefer 12’s for more boom
I would run a pair of 10s in there. Just one decent 12 needs approx 2.0 Cu Ft per sub, and most Dual 12" enclosures are not going to fit that width. A single heavy 12 will.I would run these on the 1500

If you have a drill and some patience.. GP Audio has a Glue and Screw it Ported enclosure you can put together in approx 2-3 hours with Ice tea or Beer breaks? I would do a single A.Bass Hawk DVC2 ohm 12 in 2.0 cu. ft @approx 31-33htz and run the CT Sounds 1k or 1500 on it. It will shake that car all day long

I would run a pair of 10s in there. Just one decent 12 needs approx 2.0 Cu Ft per sub, and most Dual 12" enclosures are not going to fit that width. A single heavy 12 will.I would run these on the 1500

If you have a drill and some patience.. GP Audio has a Glue and Screw it Ported enclosure you can put together in approx 2-3 hours with Ice tea or Beer breaks? I would do a single A.Bass Hawk DVC2 ohm 12 in 2.0 cu. ft @approx 31-33htz and run the CT Sounds 1k or 1500 on it. It will shake that car all day long
I cant find the Hawk DVC2 in stock . An Elite would be another awesome choice for the $. A DVC2 in a 2.0 cu. ft. @ 21-34 Htz would be ideal on the CT 1500

Every impulse amp i have come across or used failed. Even a new 1252, components weren't great to start with, add age and pop.

Now almost every other line from kicker is a different story.

Last edited:
If the surrounds are in bad shape, what do you think the other soft parts are like? I refoamed many old subs, just to learn the spider was also bad. Not always the case though, just keep that in mind and inspect the spiders before going through with re-foaming

Every impulse amp i have come across or used failed. Even a new 1252, components weren't great to start with, add age and pop.

Now almost every other line from kicker is a different story.
Ill agree. The ZR, ZX and KX series were and still are some of my favorites. I still have two ZR 240s and a hard to find ZR460. Kicker still make some fairly decent amps. Not sure what the hell went wrong with the Impulse series other than a cheap budget/ entry level series maybe? But they were a waste of my time and $. I had better luck with Coustic series amps Like the (380,100,190).

Ill agree. The ZR, ZX and KX series were and still are some of my favorites. I still have two ZR 240s and a hard to find ZR460. Kicker still make some fairly decent amps. Not sure what the hell went wrong with the Impulse series other than a cheap budget/ entry level series maybe? But they were a waste of my time and $. I had better luck with Coustic series amps Like the (380,100,190).
I regret every morning after waking letting go of all my ZR XS amps. I put my soul into restoring basket cases i got free or in trades over the years no one would even bother trying to repair. I taught myself the basics and got familiar with zr and xs, mainly the larger 600,1000, and 50, 100

I was a big fosgate amp guy, lower cost power, punch, from early 90s to early 00s mainly.

Man did the kicker zr and xs change all that once i experienced them thoroughly myself.

Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll need an enclosure and would like to keep it 30” wide due to stock suspension supports. I could shim up 32” wide but prefer not. I would prefer 12’s for more boom
A pair of decent tens will slamm!! In the right tuned enclosure and power. Ive got a pair of American Bass XFL 10s(DVC4 Ohm and a set of DVC2 ohm), And SoundQubed HDS310s (DVC2 ohm)in 4.0@32 Htz that will crease a roof if not supported on 1700 RMS

A pair of decent tens will slamm!! In the right tuned enclosure and power. Ive got a pair of American Bass XFL 10s(DVC4 Ohm and a set of DVC2 ohm), And SoundQubed HDS310s (DVC2 ohm)in 4.0@32 Htz that will crease a roof if not supported on 1700 RMS
Oh boy, kids these days, sure bro, sure they will... lol

I am on a budget, and now that my son is old enough to drive i’m dusting off my old Gear. I have (2) old school 10W6 from early 2000’s and a kicker impulse 1252XI amp. The subs need new foams which I can have done cheaply but wondering how they’ll sound compared to todays budget subs like skar.

Thanks for the advice!

If you can find a diy recone kit for the 10w6s that is would I would do. I bought 2 10w6s off ebay for $150 and reconed them myself. It’s very easy to do. I’m running them in a sealed box with a JL slash 500/1. It’s the cleanest sounding setup that I have heard. I’ve also reconed a JL 12w3 and use it on a home theater setup in my home gym, it shakes the room lol!

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...