JL 10W6 OG’s bs Skar

66Kruzer

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am on a budget, and now that my son is old enough to drive i’m dusting off my old Gear. I have (2) old school 10W6 from early 2000’s and a kicker impulse 1252XI amp. The subs need new foams which I can have done cheaply but wondering how they’ll sound compared to todays budget subs like skar.

Thanks for the advice!

I am on a budget, and now that my son is old enough to drive i’m dusting off my old Gear. I have (2) old school 10W6 from early 2000’s and a kicker impulse 1252XI amp. The subs need new foams which I can have done cheaply but wondering how they’ll sound compared to todays budget subs like skar.

Thanks for the advice!
I can say from experience that Kicker Impulse amps were not that great and never delivered enough power for me and I stepped up to the ZR series of which were and still are some real work horses. Refoaming an old sub especially JL can get expensive enough that Shipping both directions these days really isnt worth the coin when you can buy a Bnew sub at a decent price Shipped with a warranty

What is the budget?? CT Sounds has some really decent gear for the money of which I would purchase from and have and do rather than any Skar or S.Down product

That amp will prob do just fine on the front stage if its working ok.. Id run it there until the caps give and have some funds saved for a replacement amp

Just a few suggestions. Do you have an existing enclosure??If so.. What are the dimensions of it, and is it sealed or ported? If sealed and .65 up to 1.0 the Tropo series will work fine in that or take a look at Dayton Audio HO series subs that have a 5 yr warranty

The subs need new foams which I can have done cheaply but wondering how they’ll sound compared to todays budget subs like skar

Refoaming an old sub especially JL can get expensive
I would personally go for refoaming the JLs. Even though they are old, they are still a top tier product that will outperform a new budget sub. I would pay up to $200 for both sub's refoam service if the tech is good.

Even these subs will perform very nicely on 1k amp. My brother ran Dayton Reference a single 12 on an Incriminator Audio 1k in a ported enclosure. Cant remember what it was tuned too but it sure got down pretty nice for that series sub.Might take a look at those in the 10" version

If the spiders have not sagged on the JL’s, I would just buy a couple of refoam kits and fix them myself. If they are sagging, they are probably not worth fixing.

What vehicle and what are the goals here? what HU/radio being used? Again Budget?
System will be going in: the trunk of a 2010 Corolla sedan.
The goal: is like any other teenager, bumpin loud to get attention.
HU: is Alpine iLX-W650.
Budget: my son doesn't have a job yet so we're trying to stay cheap with the original thought of using my old 10W6 and amps. Would like to get a box with (2) 10's or even 12's for $300. I was looking at the Skar SDR 12" in the vented box for $280 and Skar RP-1200.1D for $150. With those kind of prices, I'm not convinced it will be worth a darn, but didn't know what today's technology is producing.

Where at in Washington are you?
I'm in Washougal, WA

Just a few suggestions. Do you have an existing enclosure??If so.. What are the dimensions of it, and is it sealed or ported? If sealed and .65 up to 1.0 the Tropo series will work fine in that or take a look at Dayton Audio HO series subs that have a 5 yr warranty
Appreciate the suggestions! I’ll need an enclosure and would like to keep it 30” wide due to stock suspension supports. I could shim up 32” wide but prefer not. I would prefer 12’s for more boom

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...