I've got a Smelly Smell

tanpatnode
10+ year member

So I have a RF T0D215 or the 15" T0 that is rated for 800W RMS at one ohm, paired with it I've got a Hifonics Brutus 1200.1 (I know...), I know that the amp overpowers it and before say about a month ago I just sort of winged the levels of the amp and when it started to smell I know there was a problem and to turn it down.

Issue is now that I tested voltages with an accurate MM and found exactly 800W at just shy of 3/4 power on my Kenwood Deck (for those of you who knows Kenwood, 27-28) but I am still getting that horrible smell of like burning technology.

What did I do wrong?

What is the smell?

How bad for the sub is it?

As always thanks for any responses, guys are on here are always great!

is it a clean 800w? i like to use an oscope. what is your lpf and subsonic set to? what are your box specs?

Yeah definitely clean, all power and connections are all good with good clean wire. LPF is I want to say 26hz and subsonic i want to say something around 60-70? I've got 6X9's which fill some of the lower stuff so I like to leave it a little lower. It's a super ported or whatever they're called at I think 4.6CF?

Yeah definitely clean, all power and connections are all good with good clean wire. LPF is I want to say 26hz and subsonic i want to say something around 60-70? I've got 6X9's which fill some of the lower stuff so I like to leave it a little lower. It's a super ported or whatever they're called at I think 4.6CF?
Thats the xover setting(60-70), whats the ss set too?

Bass boost is entirely off on my HU and my bad, Lowpass is at probably 60-70 and my subsonic is at 26hz. Does that help? I feel like the smell has got to be bad have you ever experienced anything like this?

If your sub is getting smelly you're 100% definitely exceeding it's thermal limits. I've seen some subs that can play stinky again and again for years, and others it's a sign of imminent failure. My advice is to just keep on beating on it until it breaks and then buy a better sub.

Ugh, I kind of figured I'd hear this... it was great until I amped all the other speakers, it holds in there but at loud volumes it doesn't exceed my expectations just meets them. Barely. Especially when it is smelling when I am listening to rock music not heavy bass or anything like that. Maybe I'll go back there and turn the dial down an 8th or so and maybe that'll fix it.

I was considering a pair of 15 L7's but man I don't know..

Ugh, I kind of figured I'd hear this... it was great until I amped all the other speakers, it holds in there but at loud volumes it doesn't exceed my expectations just meets them. Barely. Especially when it is smelling when I am listening to rock music not heavy bass or anything like that. Maybe I'll go back there and turn the dial down an 8th or so and maybe that'll fix it. I was considering a pair of 15 L7's but man I don't know..
Don't get l7s. Just.... Don't.

So since you have clean wire you think you have a clean signal?
I guess you're right. I never gave it any further thought, figured with good wire means you have a relatively clean signal. Thanks everyone for all your help. What does one of those American Bass guys run? Be siked to swoop a used one but we'll see.

is it a clean 800w? i like to use an oscope. what is your lpf and subsonic set to? what are your box specs?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif

Clean has nothing to do with the install. Clean means the signal is not clipped which means the waves are not squaring off at the top, they are staying nice and round so to speak.

Clipping happens from a variety of reasons, but you really need to scope your setup. Using a DMM will not yield clean signal as your amp may clip at 800W or the deck could be clipping from the get go.

Too many variables. If the sub is smelly, back the gains down some. That may be your only way to tell for now. Just don't let the thing stink for long or she will not forgive you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

tanpatnode

10+ year member
tanpatnode
Seattle, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from