I've developed noise through my speakers & my head unit (IVA-W200) turns red. HELP!

06dmax00camss
10+ year member

Well I'm not sure what has happened or if I did something wrong, but I've developed noise through my speakers.

My audio/video system includes: Alpine IVA-W200, Pioneer ND-BC2 backup camera, JL Audio 1000/1, JL Audio 300/4, (3) JL Audio 10W3V3, Focal 165V2S, and Focal 130CV1.

I completely removed the interior to sound deaden it with Second Sound (comparable to Dynamatt Extreme, but better). I used JL Audio RCAs (the lower series), the Kicker 1/0 amp installation kit, Stinger 12 awg. for the subs, and Stinger 14 awg. for the components and coaxles.

When I turn the key on and the head unit starts up, it makes a noise through the speakers which sounds to me like the sound of the CD starting. In other words, if you could hear the CD start spinning and reading the data, transfer the sound to the speakers, that is the noise I'm getting. Wow, I went outside to my truck before I submitted this thread to make sure my info is all correct and I discovered something even more weird. The noise is only being transfered through my front door speakers (6 1/2" components/Focal 165V2S). I put my ear up to my subs and coaxles and nothing. I also noticed that it also makes a buzzing sound once the original sound I posted about goes away.

I don't know exactly when it started or how, but it never did this before. The only thing I have changed/added since the original install is I added a backup camera. The only thing done there was the RCA jack for the input of a backup camera was inserted, and the separate harness that includes the reverse lead was used and tapped into the reverse lights.

After the installation of the backup camera has caused my headunit's background to turn red. Basically every time I plan on using the truck, I have to turn the key to the on position, let the headunit "boot up", then start it so that it goes back to its regular color. What's weird is that it only turns red EVERY OTHER TIME its powered up. So when its in the on position, then you turn to start, it kills the power to the headunit (switch 12V) for a split second, causing it to reboot and go back to its regular screen. Now if I don't wait for the headunit to boot up and just start the truck, it will end up with whatever color background it starts out at when the key is turned on. If that's the case, I have to turn the truck back off and have the door open so that the power is killed to the headunit, before I restart the truck. The truck is designed to keep the headunit on after you turn the truck off for several minutes or until you open the door.

PLEASE HELP!

Turn off the auto background feature on your W200. That causes it to change background color randomly every time you turn it off and on.

If the noise you are experiencing is truly only coming from the front speakers, check all of your connections. Check/upgrade your ground. Change out the RCAs (for those channels) to see if they are the problem. Hook another amp up to the fronts, and hook the original amp up to other speakers. If the noise moves with the amp, you know it's the problem. It could be the RCA outputs. Another possible culprit is a bad connection at the speaker, or even a speaker taking a dump.

Good luck.

The screen never changed colors every other time until AFTER the backup camera install. That would tell me that its a very good possibility that it had something to do with that.

WOW! I just turned the auto background off as you said and it doesn't do it anymore! But what I don't understand is I never had this problem before with the auto background on prior to the backup camera.

I just confirmed that the noise is coming from both the 6 1/2s and tweeters, so basically the component set. It does NOT come from the 5 1/4s or subs.

There is no need to upgrade the ground as I have the 1/0 awg. Kicker amp kit that supplies the main power and ground with 1/0 awg. wire that goes into a distribution block, and out to a 4 awg.

By checking the RCAs, what exactly am I checking because they're plug-n-play. All the equipment is brand new and all name brand. The RCAs are JL Audio.

I don't have another amp to hook up to the front speakers and both my component set and coaxles are running off the same amp, JL Audio 300/4.

I'll double check the connection on the speakers, but I highly doubt its a bad speaker because both front door speakers are doing it and both front tweeters are doing it. It has something to do with the component set since its the set that's making the noise.

I checked the RCAs at the amp. On my headunit I put the sound all the way to the left rear channel, unplugged both RCAs for the rear channels and checked to see which one transfers the sound to the left rear door. So those RCAs are in the correct location. I did the same for the front speakers.

I don't THINK it could be the power and ground because the component set (front) and coaxles (rear) both run off the same amp and its only transferring the noise in the front speakers.

I've confirmed a couple more things.

It has nothing to do with a burned CD because I inserted a regular CD and it did the same thing.

It only makes this noise when the source CD is on. If the radio is on, it won't make this noise upon start/boot up of the headunit.

On the front input section, under front input voltage, its set on low, but when I switch it to high, the noise almost goes completely away. Its still there, but very quiet.

When I switch the front input section to 2 channel, it makes the same noise in the rear speakers.

Ok...I did another test that may help me figure this out.

I swapped the front RCAs with the rear RCAs at the amp. The noise is now in the rear doors!

So there is either something wrong with the RCAs at the back of the headunit that's for the front channels, something is touching it those particular RCAs, or the headunit is bad. What do you think?

Ok...I did another test that may help me figure this out.
I swapped the front RCAs with the rear RCAs at the amp. The noise is now in the rear doors!

So there is either something wrong with the RCAs at the back of the headunit that's for the front channels, something is touching it those particular RCAs, or the headunit is bad. What do you think?
Still sounds like the RCA cables to me. Swap them at the head unit to see.

Ok, another thing that I've confirmed is that the buzzing/humming noise that's present after the noise of the CD starting up and reading, only comes through the front speakers when CD/DVD source is selected. Going to work this morning I had the CD source selected, but the volume was all the way down. I switched it to the radio and the buzzing/humming went away.

I'm thinking its the headunit as it only transfers that noise through the front speakers and it only does it when the CD source is selected.

well it looks like its completely gone. just send everything to me theres no point in using it anymore. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

did you run the rca cables on the same side as the power cables or are they next to the power cables of the amp? if so that may be the problem.

Did you ever switch the RCAs at the head unit?

You switched them at the amp and the noise changed to a different channel, so if you switch them at the head unit, and the noise switches channels again, that means the problem is with the actual RCA cable, if it doesn't switch at the head unit, that means your head unit is creating noise in one channel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.