IT'S FINISHED!! Box Calculator now has CUT SHEETS!

I am having a hell of a time with it. My Golden numbers are totally different from my custom enclosure numbers. Which size should I use for the box. In the notes it seems as if I should used the Golden numbers to build the box.

I am having a hell of a time with it. My Golden numbers are totally different from my custom enclosure numbers. Which size should I use for the box. In the notes it seems as if I should used the Golden numbers to build the box.
Are you entering the same dimensions as the Golden Box into the Custom Enclosure dimensions?? If so the 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch difference isn't enough to cause any problems, anything you use to measure your cuts with will be much farther off than that. Otherwise, yes the Golden numbers will ALWAYS be different than the Custom Numbers, the Golden numbers are calculated for you, the Custom Numbers are mostly entered by you. If you can fit the Golden Numbers box into your vehicle then do so, that configuration is basically an "Acoustically Perfect" box. If you can't fit it then use two of your maximum dimensions and it will give you the third one, for example, if you have a trunk with a max width of 36" and max height of 19" like my brothers car, and you're looking for a 8cuft box (like he is for his SSD 18) then it will tell you how deep the box will need to be for whatever port size and configuration it is that you choose. It's all really just as easy as that, then just go to the tab for the box type you're figuring for and print the cutout dimensions. I'm working on streamlining the interface of the program to make all this stuff much easier to work with.

Are you entering the same dimensions as the Golden Box into the Custom Enclosure dimensions?? If so the 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch difference isn't enough to cause any problems, anything you use to measure your cuts with will be much farther off than that. Otherwise, yes the Golden numbers will ALWAYS be different than the Custom Numbers, the Golden numbers are calculated for you, the Custom Numbers are mostly entered by you. If you can fit the Golden Numbers box into your vehicle then do so, that configuration is basically an "Acoustically Perfect" box. If you can't fit it then use two of your maximum dimensions and it will give you the third one, for example, if you have a trunk with a max width of 36" and max height of 19" like my brothers car, and you're looking for a 8cuft box (like he is for his SSD 18) then it will tell you how deep the box will need to be for whatever port size and configuration it is that you choose. It's all really just as easy as that, then just go to the tab for the box type you're figuring for and print the cutout dimensions. I'm working on streamlining the interface of the program to make all this stuff much easier to work with.
Thanks, I have it now...

Okay, since no one else is telling any tales one whether or not they've used the program for actually building any boxes and discussing how they've turned out I'll be the first to do so..... first of all my buildlog is here: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6562175#post6562175. The box will be 5.65cuft total, 4.2 after all displacements. The port is 15.5x3.75 and 24" long tuning to 32Hz. Here's some screenshots of the design on the program.

mainscreenshot.jpg

If you notice here, I used a port area of 13.92sq.in. One of the beautiful parts of the program is that you can instantly see changes when you want to try something. The enclosure is good with 12 to 16sq.in. of port area per cubic foot of size for these subs. I adjusted the area of the port so that I could get good even numbers for the dimensions of the enclosure and its right in the middle of the recommended size.

cutoutscreenshot.jpg

Here you can see the given # for the port width is 3.772", I rounded this down to 3.75" as 22 thousandths of an inch difference will not really be noticable, besides the port wall length was shortened slightly which should get the tuning back to square. Otherwise as you can see all the rest of the numbers are nice, even, easy to measure and cut which makes this program REALLY handy.

There's mine, post yours.. I'll have the box done this week I hope and I'll give a good review on how well it works out. Thanks for following along.

Program is nice, but the little box over on the right that has the GOOD under it, and then the box on the bottom left both have spots for the two dimensions, i don't understand why

Program is nice, but the little box over on the right that has the GOOD under it, and then the box on the bottom left both have spots for the two dimensions, i don't understand why
The "GOOD" display there I put in there originally as a checks and balances system to be sure that the math was adding up. As I said before I'm in the process of rebuilding the layout of the program and this will be gone, however, it WILL still tell you when you enter something wrong like putting numbers in all 3 dimension boxes since in almost all cases the resulting volume will be incorrect compared to what you said you needed to start with.

is it possible to make add a tab that lets u build a box that isnt square or rectangular? something like this:
4ujsqf.jpg
Yes, it's entirely possible..... I've been working on making the math work out for building those style enclosures, still working out the kinks though....

So hang in there guys, there will be some great new changes coming to this thing that will address alot of the issues, just like these...

How about the gross volume calculation in the bottom left box? Is that gross minus port area displacement or the total gross? I used the external dimensions and calculated the gross and it was about a cube bigger than the gross is the program.

The "GOOD" display there I put in there originally as a checks and balances system to be sure that the math was adding up. As I said before I'm in the process of rebuilding the layout of the program and this will be gone, however, it WILL still tell you when you enter something wrong like putting numbers in all 3 dimension boxes since in almost all cases the resulting volume will be incorrect compared to what you said you needed to start with.

Yes, it's entirely possible..... I've been working on making the math work out for building those style enclosures, still working out the kinks though....

So hang in there guys, there will be some great new changes coming to this thing that will address alot of the issues, just like these...
ok cool, thanks. my trunk is a very weird shaped and slopes on top of being weird lol. **** convertibles.

How about the gross volume calculation in the bottom left box? Is that gross minus port area displacement or the total gross? I used the external dimensions and calculated the gross and it was about a cube bigger than the gross is the program.

The gross is the TOTAL gross volume, that's subwoofer displacement and port displacement including port wall as well which has to be added in too, plus you can't make a TOTAL gross volume calculation using the EXTERNAL dimensions.

The gross is the TOTAL gross volume, that's subwoofer displacement and port displacement including port wall as well which has to be added in too, plus you can't make a TOTAL gross volume calculation using the EXTERNAL dimensions.
I thought total gross volume would include the wood as well... But I see what you mean, thanks for the clarification. I like the program, works very well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.