It begins, jeffro83's 98 Yukon build log

This is what I was originally going to do and I can definitely make it work even if I can't find PVC I can just stack MDF speaker rings or treated plywood speaker rings until I get the distance I need the reason I backed out is because once I get it deep enough it sticks out past the plastic door panel and the angles were a little off but I could correct that with shims or whatever I need to the real thing that worried me the most was that the hole would be obstructed but if it's not going to matter I would much rather do it this way cuz then the whole door would be the Box and I already bought deadener specifically for this I think I'm going to scrap the other idea and go back to this just seems so much better and it's already proven
Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk
Don’t use mdf use plywood and coat with resin if you must but fit up an irrigation shop or farm supply and they will sell you just what you need not 20’ pieces and it’s much easier to deal with. I tried with plywood first but it was a pita. Pvc much easier esp if you have a 12” miter saw for cutting it. Fast and easy .

Don’t use mdf use plywood and coat with resin if you must but fit up an irrigation shop or farm supply and they will sell you just what you need not 20’ pieces and it’s much easier to deal with. I tried with plywood first but it was a pita. Pvc much easier esp if you have a 12” miter saw for cutting it. Fast and easy .
One way or another I can find a way to make it work. thank you so much man, this little conversation helped me out a ton, and saved me from wasting a shitload of time with trial and error. I will try to keep the hole in the door panel as close to unobstructed as possible, but knowing that it doesn't have to have perfect clearance opens up so many more options. that was exactly what I needed to get back on track. and just so you know, between your build log and Jeffdachef is what inspired me to do this, and not just settle for some basic component and coaxials stuffed everywhere, sounding like crap.

Also I don’t think you will be happy with the sound unless you do get them sealed into the door. I tried a bunch of speakers thinking it was the speakers and it really is how they are installed. Speakers simply screwed into door panels will never give you any midbass either. I have since went to 3way with 6.5 in kicks and am very happy with my midbass, so happy a lot of the time I drive around with subs off and they do really well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I get your impatient but think about it, you have waited 2 years so why rush now and have the 2 years be for nothing when your not happy with the end results. ?

Mounting depth is like 3 1/4 to 3 3/8
Oh ya easy cheesy! They will fit just cut holes in door size of magnet diameter! Whole magnet won’t go into the door just an angled section of it. Honestly I bet I could do it in a couple hours so make a plan and get to it !

c44bddf60753f8638908b45a28480a7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ya easy cheesy! They will fit just cut holes in door size of magnet diameter! Whole magnet won’t go into the door just an angled section of it. Honestly I bet I could do it in a couple hours so make a plan and get to it !
c44bddf60753f8638908b45a28480a7c.jpg

Headed to the hardware store right now, I think I can make it happen. so one more question for you though, your speakers actually mount to the PVC and then the fiberglass trim piece you made sits in front of the speakers?

Headed to the hardware store right now, I think I can make it happen. so one more question for you though, your speakers actually mount to the PVC and then the fiberglass trim piece you made sits in front of the speakers?
No cover goes over pvc and speakers mount sandwiching fiberglass between speaker and pvc because I wanted grills to mount via the speaker mounting screws , does that make sense ? Screw goes through grill, speaker, fiberglass and into pvc and the coupler ring is on there to make pvc the correct diameter to fit speaker screw circle ? Now if you were a lathe machinists kinda guy I bet you could turn out some nicer pieces but that ain’t me lol

No cover goes over pvc and speakers mount sandwiching fiberglass between speaker and pvc because I wanted grills to mount via the speaker mounting screws , does that make sense ? Screw goes through grill, speaker, fiberglass and into pvc and the coupler ring is on there to make pvc the correct diameter to fit speaker screw circle ? Now if you were a lathe machinists kinda guy I bet you could turn out some nicer pieces but that ain’t me lol

Man I will be happy if mine come out looking half as good as yours. what ***** is I just got back from the hardware store, and the largest PVC I can get is 6in. they didn't have anything that would work for an 8-inch driver. but it's okay I will just make it out of wood speaker Rings. picked up some bcx and will resin it after it's built, so it should be pretty water resistant. other than that I think I can make this work now, but I am a little nervous about getting the fiberglass trim piece to land perfectly on top of the tubes, but if it don't line up right I will just fill in the distance with some type of spacer. thanks again for the help bro I'll be sure to throw up some pics when I get a few things assemble tomorrow.

Ya you would have to go to irrigation supply or a big plumbing supply to get anything bigger than 6” or you can order by the inch off eBay ? But what ever you feel more comfortable building with ?

Ya you would have to go to irrigation supply or a big plumbing supply to get anything bigger than 6” or you can order by the inch off eBay ? But what ever you feel more comfortable building with ?
Any progress?

Any progress?

Not enough to brag about man, ended up having to work Sunday and today, but I did get the piece that bolts to the door cut, and some wood rings to play with for now, but like you said the PVC is just a clear winner. Plus I would like to angle them up and towards the driver and passenger seat a little if I can, and that's going to be extremely hard to do with wood where as a PVC 45 would make short work of it. I did call a few places but no luck so far on getting people to sell me some, or finding something that will fit.

Not enough to brag about man, ended up having to work Sunday and today, but I did get the piece that bolts to the door cut, and some wood rings to play with for now, but like you said the PVC is just a clear winner. Plus I would like to angle them up and towards the driver and passenger seat a little if I can, and that's going to be extremely hard to do with wood where as a PVC 45 would make short work of it. I did call a few places but no luck so far on getting people to sell me some, or finding something that will fit.
Check here for dimensions and see if it will work an remember different schedules 20 thin wall 40 std thickness 80 really thick walled so if dimensions are not here just google and find the thickness that will work for you. Couplers and other fittings fit over outside so you can cut rings off of them to make a flange to screw speakers too. Then buy it on eBay if you have non around you

https://m.ebay.com/itm/8-PVC-Pipe-SCH-40-Charlotte-Pipe-2-99-By-The-Inch-CHARLOTTE-PIPE-SCH-40-/112237486999

Check here for dimensions and see if it will work an remember different schedules 20 thin wall 40 std thickness 80 really thick walled so if dimensions are not here just google and find the thickness that will work for you. Couplers and other fittings fit over outside so you can cut rings off of them to make a flange to screw speakers too. Then buy it on eBay if you have non around you https://m.ebay.com/itm/8-PVC-Pipe-SCH-40-Charlotte-Pipe-2-99-By-The-Inch-CHARLOTTE-PIPE-SCH-40-/112237486999

Sorry for got the first link

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/429-080-8-schedule-40-pvc-coupling.html

interesting, good to see. Only problem is the flare! lol
Huh ? Flare on coupler ? You mean the interference fit ? I used 6 “ pipe and cut a couple 1/2 rings off a coupler like this and glued them to the top of pipe to make a flange for speaker to screw down too and bottom to give glue more area to grip onto the wood panels but since these are bigger diameter than the pipe to fit outside of pipe they may work for you instead of pipe itself ? Depends on mounting diameter of speaker. I got lucky if fit perfectly on the Anarchy’s in 6 “ pvc

7e9bda7b792a56041f33c6d9be80e537.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeffro83

Senior VIP Member
Jeffro83
Indianapolis, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from