It begins, jeffro83's 98 Yukon build log

Looks great! My kids are too young for me to put much time into car audio or anything else for that matter right now. After they are grown I will be able to put more time and money into it. I look forward to seeing your progress on this.
Thanks man I will definitely keep posting until it's done. I feel your pain, I took about a 10-year break and this is my first System since, but I did a big build for a friend which is what pulled me back in. now I don't know how I ever lived without it.
Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

Thanks man and they do pretty well I am constantly messing with the tune
I do the same thing, DSP just makes it so convenient to answer all of those "what if" questions when figuring out the best combination of crossover points and slopes. I've crossed them as low as 40Hz with an 18dB slope, but I've also had good results with a 6dB slope @ 100Hz and 12dB @ 80Hz. Just depends on what you're going for.

Driver door is deadened, and that's it for me tonight. first thing tomorrow I will be making panels with quarter inch Birch and a layer of deadener on each side with CCF gaskets to seal off all the access holes, and hopefully buttoning up everything else on the front doors.
2a3dde4712368ce1dfb2ebe1ba593e13.jpg

Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today, but I did get all the access hole covers fabricated and sealed with deadener on both sides. also I took the access panel under the door latches off cleaned them up, and put a layer of deadener on the back. was going to do the front and back but after thinking about it I think I'm just going to go with deadener on the back and a fresh CCF seal, because I feel like the deadener on the front will just get destroyed by the door opening and closing, but if I decide I do need it I can add it later no big deal. Man I really severely underestimated the time it was going to take to do these doors. So far I probably have roughly 35 to 40 hours tied up in them, and about 25 square feet of sound deadener, and probably close to 16 square feet of sound absorption made from ceiling tiles wrapped in plastic. Not to mention wood, screws, glue, fiberglass, Bondo, primer, and Plasti Dip for the speaker adapters. definitely a ton of work. at this point I feel like if this s*** don't sound phenomenal I am probably going to light this b**** on fire. Hopefully I can get off early sometime this week and get all these panels foamed, and mounted along with the speaker adapters. we'll see how it goes though. it's definitely crunch time with slamology only a couple weeks away, even though I don't plan on competing or anything, would still like to take my truck there. if not it is what it is there's always next year. Oh I almost forgot I wanted to mention that in my last post I said I was going to use quarter inch Birch for the access panels but at the last minute I decided to go with sheet metal instead because the Birch plus two layers of dead in her seems like it would just be too thick in some places.
ab116b4238169af62fdc4b3588e4bbc2.jpg
ab614f65562e5cedd951f302d61d1fb9.jpg
413b46462cb59d0cc61b2fafb9dd4cd5.jpg

Was able to get a little bit of time today and got some gaskets on the access panels I made. I know it's a baby step but it's better than nothing. the other access panels I will probably have to silicone unfortunately because the shape is just too odd, and even though the panel's I made cover the hole the bumps and texture in the door still create some pretty decent gaps, that I just don't feel like foam is sufficient for. anyway here's a couple quick pics for ya
b05dde8d84f13ad095c3827258bf13e1.jpg
757169cd0ab4e73e05cbb58fc38c601c.jpg

Looking good. It turns into a labor of love for sure. Keep it up. I feel ya on not having any folks around here as well. At least my younger kids have inherited the basshead gene.

Looking good. It turns into a labor of love for sure. Keep it up. I feel ya on not having any folks around here as well. At least my younger kids have inherited the basshead gene.
Thanks man, appreciate the compliment. That's tight that your kids are into audio. I was thinking about trying to get my son involved in this build wasn't sure at first but, i actually might give it a shot now

Finally, made some real progress. The doors are completely wrapped up, for now. Unfortunately I will have to pull the door panels back off in a couple weeks to put new mirrors on the truck, and change the lightbulbs, but I needed to make sure that the door panels would fit over the CCF, and that the cutouts for my speaker adapters lined up properly. Also when I pull the panels next time I will put some temporary trim around the speaker adapters, where I cut the panel, to hide the ugliness of it, until I fiberglass up the permanent trim pieces. Can't tell you how happy I am to be at this point though, finally feels like tomorrow is actually a new day, and I will be pulling the front seats out and running some more wire to the back for speakers, RCA, remote, voltmeter, and such. I've already got two runs of stinger pro series 0 gauge running to the back, and we'll be adding two runs of ground as well, but that will be done after the interior is back in, and they will be ran under the car. Anyway here's some pics.
d3e1fd4fadf7d72120b1e178a32a69e6.jpg
2c69fca625b11a8bd4aa4cf7249d897f.jpg
9362682f19cf15a5d6a943055c2e5f89.jpg
c8c60ca326d89639714d61d94cde5c16.jpg
c4739592129768fd425e91de4e39fa9d.jpg
ac2a2527f814f64b74272ff1103bf492.jpg
11a9470ea5834b2fc965bfd9b42864bd.jpg
2d4d37477a4605cdf61f225196eca342.jpg
fa25b8b40fd9da98e30059a9b56a28b7.jpg

Not going to mount the speakers until after the seats go back in to avoid any accidental damage. I also wanted to ask anybody who might be looking at this what your opinion is on where the Tweeter should go, in this last picture I marked the three places that would be the easiest to install with metal tape. If they go in the door, in either location, I should be able to flush-mount the tweeters which is what I really want no matter where they go. If the a-pillar is the best option then it will be surface mounted until after the build is done, then I will fiberglass up some Tweeter pods so they can be flush mounted. If none of these three spots look good feel free to throw out any other opinions. thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

060042724bb68588b42d0d169e5a5c5e.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeffro83

Senior VIP Member
Jeffro83
Indianapolis, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from