It begins, jeffro83's 98 Yukon build log

Jeffro83

Senior VIP Member
Alright guys it's time to get this s*** cracking. Been waiting and scrounging up pieces for almost 2 years now, and I just flat *** can't take it anymore so it's time to get this rolling. Going to be putting this equipment in my 98 Yukon

Electrical

Alts - 2X CES 270 amp GM large case hairpins

Wiring- mostly 0ga stinger but also some miscellaneous welding wire two runs front-to-back positive and ground plus GP dual inputs for both sub amps

Batteries- one Duracell group 34/78 under the hood plus 4 Interstate AGM 31 in the back

Amps- 2X vfl audio comp 4k's and a Rockford Fosgate Punch 700x plus a Crossfire Tek 35.4

Subs- 2x sundown zv4 15's they have customer comes right now, but one was damaged when I bought them. the dust cap apparently had got ripped off and took a small layer of the cone with it. original owner glued it back on and is supposedly functional, but doesn't really matter because as soon as I get everything playing The Next Step will be reconing with Sundown parts

Mids and highs- prv audio 8mb450 8 inch midrange plus massive audio ct2 tweeters. for now one mid + 1 Tweeter just in the front two doors, but ultimately will have one mid and one Tweeter per door

Head unit- JVC kd-x340bts

Voltmeter- Stinger the blue one

That's everything that I can think of that I already have ready to be installed. I started tonight and pulled the driver door panel apart. It is going to be a mother f****** b**** to get these eight in these doors. Hopefully the baffle will bump it out enough, but then I have to worry about it hitting the door panel. Not a ton of room back there. May have to cut the door panel and make a fake Grill to make it work. We'll see though. Still have a lot of sound deadening and other stuff to do, just trying to get a game plan together for now. Hopefully by Sunday I'll have something done and be able to throw up some pics..maybe throw a few of tomorrow just of the truck and getting started and s***.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe I forgot to put the subs in, straight brain fart. anyways, it's 2 Sundown zv4 15's, added it to the list as well.
wow big boys.. gotta tel you i really like the new U sub wish i could afford it or power it lol.. i've said they needed something between the sa and x and they used parts from they and say something like it'll sound like a z (bolt on surround and whatnot) good looking sub, wish i had $400, 2nd batt and bigger wire/amp..

wow big boys.. gotta tel you i really like the new U sub wish i could afford it or power it lol.. i've said they needed something between the sa and x and they used parts from they and say something like it'll sound like a z (bolt on surround and whatnot) good looking sub, wish i had $400, 2nd batt and bigger wire/amp..
Here's the thing bro you definitely can afford it. I never ever thought I was going to be able to afford a build like this, ever. and really should not have been able to, but patience is a strong strong weapon when it comes to getting what you want. as I said above, I have been scrounging s*** together for pretty much 2 years, and at times I thought it was going to kill me, but now I'm finally here. just save up a little bit at a time, and then buy the sub put it in and baby it on the setup you have now. save up a little more, slowly but surely again, and get the wiring. and then one more time for the amp. or whatever order you choose to. Point is you can definitely make it happen, no matter what your income is. finding good deals and being patient and saving up made it happen for me. even when I first bought the subs, even though they were my dream Subs, I still didn't think that I was going to be able to get them installed. not like this anyway. initially I figured I'd be lucky if I got to hear one of them before having to sell them, but it all worked out in the long run. and even if I did have to sell them or something crazy happened I know now that I could definitely replace them, even with the prices being as crazy high, for good audio, as they are. Some things I had to buy used, and others I bought new. I did whatever I had to to make it work because I can always upgrade in the future, but there were times where I almost felt like giving up and didn't think I was going to be able to do it, or just cheaping Out, but in the long run I stuck with it and couldn't be more happy and excited right now.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif.... tuned in, good luck with the door panels... I'm sure with your fabrication skills everything will turn out great.

Me on the other hand... I'm just a hack...

1ujQ0Hl.jpg

Recovering from a stroke is like a cerebral palsy injection... the ol' hands just can't do it anymore... lol

Here's the thing bro you definitely can afford it. I never ever thought I was going to be able to afford a build like this, ever. and really should not have been able to, but patience is a strong strong weapon when it comes to getting what you want. as I said above, I have been scrounging s*** together for pretty much 2 years, and at times I thought it was going to kill me, but now I'm finally here. just save up a little bit at a time, and then buy the sub put it in and baby it on the setup you have now. save up a little more, slowly but surely again, and get the wiring. and then one more time for the amp. or whatever order you choose to. Point is you can definitely make it happen, no matter what your income is. finding good deals and being patient and saving up made it happen for me. even when I first bought the subs, even though they were my dream Subs, I still didn't think that I was going to be able to get them installed. not like this anyway. initially I figured I'd be lucky if I got to hear one of them before having to sell them, but it all worked out in the long run. and even if I did have to sell them or something crazy happened I know now that I could definitely replace them, even with the prices being as crazy high, for good audio, as they are. Some things I had to buy used, and others I bought new. I did whatever I had to to make it work because I can always upgrade in the future, but there were times where I almost felt like giving up and didn't think I was going to be able to do it, or just cheaping Out, but in the long run I stuck with it and couldn't be more happy and excited right now.
i wish man, won't happen i gotta put $1k into dentures very soon if i wanta keep eating.. wife just gave her son $500 (they just paid us back 2 months ago for last yrs $).. i just added another ground wire from strut to alt bracket few mins ago that's all the upgrade i can do until i sell one or both subs i've got..

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif.... tuned in, good luck with the door panels... I'm sure with your fabrication skills everything will turn out great.
Me on the other hand... I'm just a hack...

1ujQ0Hl.jpg

Recovering from a stroke is like a cerebral palsy injection... the ol' hands just can't do it anymore... lol
Man I'm sorry to hear about that, but I'm definitely glad you're on the mend now. if you built that box that looks every bit as good as the one I built, your definitely not a hack bro. actually I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the speakers in the front doors now. definitely going to be harder than I thought. There's not as much room as I initially thought in there, plus there is a window motor or something mounted right next to the factory 6.25 hole. I'm hoping I can cut it in the other direction but the panel gets narrower that way. so I'm debating now whether or not I'm just going to build it out however far I have to, and then cut a hole in the plastic door panel that's bigger than the speaker and make some kind of Grill. or Mount the speaker to the plastic door panel and fill in the distance between the interior metal panel in the plastic panel and then still make some type of Grill.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

i wish man, won't happen i gotta put $1k into dentures very soon if i wanta keep eating.. wife just gave her son $500 (they just paid us back 2 months ago for last yrs $).. i just added another ground wire from strut to alt bracket few mins ago that's all the upgrade i can do until i sell one or both subs i've got..
Man I'm telling you if you could just put back 10 or 20 bucks a week you'd be surprised how fast you would have that sub

Alright so I made a little bit of progress this weekend, had some other stuff to take care of, so not as much as I would have liked, but at least I got something done. Got the driver's door tore apart, and started on some type of speaker pods, or whatever you want to call them. basically an MDF box that the plastic door panel will be notched around. got box or pod, whatever you want to call it, built for front driver and passenger door, still have to do a little bit of fiberglass to make the angles easier. hopefully can get that done today, and the passenger door tore apart. now here is where I need your guy's opinion, to me these boxes seem kind of small for an 8. even though I know it's not a sub, and when youtubing door pods a lot of people were running their mids in a lot smaller area. I don't know really, this is all new to me, and I am just kind of winging it. will probably add some polyfill since it's a sealed box, but if it is way too small I could still cut a hole through the back of the box and "vent" it into the door. although there's not a lot of room the hole or "vent" would probably be 6 or 7 in at the most, and would be directly behind the speaker, but would open it up to the entire inside of the door panel. another thing is if I don't need to vent it into the door how seriously should I take sound deadening and sealing off the door cavity, as the speaker will be in a stand-alone box at that point. if I could save a little deadener and some time, maybe worth it to use the resources elsewhere in the build, but will gladly do it if you guys think it will increase performance, or sound quality just let me know.

Do you know of Tapatalk? That's the way I upload pictures. Very easy.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No but I would be down to give it a try, do I have to download an app or something? just a fair warning I am **** near computer illiterate, but if you could show me I would be greatly appreciative.

No but I would be down to give it a try, do I have to download an app or something? just a fair warning I am **** near computer illiterate, but if you could show me I would be greatly appreciative.
It's a phone app. Android or Apple. Then find caraudio.com and sign in.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trying to post photos using Tapatalk
fe4e40fe9f4d4fb1312a5dfc0db2cbe3.jpg
ecc4f8d6d1e8e0547e54e7bc3599ab81.jpg
ac45f4bfd8dbfda3ed4598a123a294b3.jpg
6c5adf7c79341947187bf52486b588f2.jpg
19f959d5a159b1d3258488adc798f1fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I guess it worked?

Sent from my SM-S737TL using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jeffro83

Senior VIP Member
Jeffro83
Indianapolis, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from