Issue with Amp?

Packer24

I don't know a thing or two about stereos but I've come across an issue. I had to put a spare tire in my car causing me to have to remove my amp box and subs. Upon putting it back, I had to reconnect the wires and now i am not getting power to the amp or subs. If the wiring stayed the same etc. must I reset something on the stereo or is there a larger issue? I am quite certain the wiring is the same etc. so I hope I am missing something...Hope there's an easy answer!

Site won't let me post URL's???(or photos)

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

DSC01593.jpg

ABOVE: from top to bottom it says remote, battery then something else i can't read on the bottom 3 wires

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

DSC01591.jpg

The Amp does not turn on when the car is on...Unfortunately, the person who originally owned the car did a hack job wiring so we have no clue which fuse it is...I guess we could check every fuse but we checked all that seemed likely. Unless there is some sort of extra fuse along the power line?

The 12V positive/Battery (large red wire) and remote (small blue wire) are reversed, the remote wire should be in the middle. Fix that then see if it turns on, you might be SOL, with it wired that way it might have fried the remote from the head unit.

mrpm450.jpg

The 12V positive/Battery (large red wire) and remote (small blue wire) are reversed, the remote wire should be in the middle. Fix that then see if it turns on, you might be SOL, with it wired that way it might have fried the remote from the head unit.
mrpm450.jpg
Yep, you're right. The red/blue wires in pic 1 need to be reversed.

Switched the wires, but no luck...However, the light did come on for a split second when made contact with the remote wire??? I checked the fuses across the vehicle and realized the fuse diagrams don't even coincide with the manual anymore. This car is wired so terribly...Well, If the head unit is blown what does that mean?

it means your going to have to make a switch for the amp so it can send a signal so it will turn on u can take the remote wire and put it in a fuse in ur fuse box to an empty one but doing that anytime ur car turns on its on and when it turns off its off or you can put a wire to the pos bat and have a switch so you can turn it on and off i believe thats what u can do

Switched the wires, but no luck...However, the light did come on for a split second when made contact with the remote wire??? I checked the fuses across the vehicle and realized the fuse diagrams don't even coincide with the manual anymore. This car is wired so terribly...Well, If the head unit is blown what does that mean?
This equipment is all aftermarket so the factory diagrams don't cover it.

The first thing you should do is buy/borrow a digital multimeter.

Here is a basic diagram of the amplifiers wiring.

View attachment 26527128

Do not turn on your head unit and leave the engine off, we just want to check for proper volages right now.

Use the DMM to check the voltage large red wire at the amplifier, it should have 12-12.5 volts with the engine off.

If there's no voltage at that wire you need to find the fuse holder under the hood near the battery. The easiest way to find it is to start at the battery, find the large red wire exactly like the one connected to your amp and trace it to the fuse holder. whenever you find it check the fuse inside, if it's blown replace it, then check the voltage at the amp again, if you now have 12-12.5V you can continue to the next step.

Now you want to disconnect the large red wire from the battery, either physically disconnect it from the battery or remove the fuse from the fuse holder.

Turn on the head unit.

When the head unit is on the remote turn on lead should have 12V, so check the small blue wire at the amp for 12V, if there's no voltage or it is less than 12V then you have a problem and the amp isn't going to turn on until it's fixed.

Amplifiers use a low current 12V signal to trigger their on switch. The way you had the amp wired before, if the fuse on the red wire wasn't already blown, the red wire was providing the turn on signal. This meant the amp was trying to feed it's high current power supply from the small remote turn on lead and those circuits were not meant to feed that kind of current. So if you have an aftermarket head unit it could have damaged the internal circuit that provides the remote turn on signal, so you would need to replace the head unit or find a different signal to make it work. Since I don't know exactly what is installed. Do you even have an aftermarket head unit? If the factory headunit wasn't changed there is probably a line out converter providing the remote signal, in that case you would need to replace the LOC.

Really, though without testing that is just speculation, you should try to diagnose the problem before you get ahead of yourself. Try those two tests and post results.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.