Island precision audio 15

The plexi I ordered is a week out so I went ahead and finished the box without it. I will use the plexi on the ported build I do for it.
32E8502E-8943-43D9-ABEE-D94D102C12A7.jpeg
D6305302-C018-4D25-9AA7-5F8AF359A9BC.jpeg

I hate waiting for things to dry. Lol

id Have the blow dryers and heat guns going right now to speed it up 😂. Anytime I build a sub no matter how many I’m doing the surround and dust cap adhesive takes 24 hours to cure and that wait still bothers me lol. I just wanna put power to them and watch them move once they are done 😂.

If and when I do it, I’ll be sure to let you know. My next setup will be 4 8’s, maybe I can meter them when first installed at 25hz, 30 hz, 35 hz (5hz increments up to say 80hz) etc and after about a month do it again to see if there is any difference in output.
Yes please, though I'd suggest that the most dramatic softening of the suspension will happen within the first half hour of hard play. 'If you own DATS you could probably confirm TSP changes easily enough and that may be worth recording to go along with any other data you collect.

The trick will be to figure out a way to either change nothing for whatever period of time you believe it will take for whatever changes to occur and make sure you use identical settings start with identical voltage, and test in roughly the same weather conditions.

the surround and dust cap adhesive takes 24 hours to cure

I use CA glue for surrounds which is well set by the time I can mount it and Amazing Goop should hold a dustcap for about anything after about an hour cure time.

Yes please, though I'd suggest that the most dramatic softening of the suspension will happen within the first half hour of hard play. 'If you own DATS you could probably confirm TSP changes easily enough and that may be worth recording to go along with any other data you collect.

The trick will be to figure out a way to either change nothing for whatever period of time you believe it will take for whatever changes to occur and make sure you use identical settings start with identical voltage, and test in roughly the same weather conditions.

I use CA glue for surrounds which is well set by the time I can mount it and Amazing Goop should hold a dustcap for about anything after about an hour cure time.

I can do it in doors in a temp controlled environment. It won’t be very difficult to control everything. I’ve seen sensitivity ratings changes as much as 3db after break in, even seen that from others on YouTube but the real world is a totally different story. I’m definitely gonna do this cause I’m curious!

I’m totally old school and even tho the surrounds I use are rubberized foam, I still don’t use CA glue on them due to thinking it will react lol. Even tho my patience isn’t the greatest I actually do prefer the added work time of the adhesive. I obviously use CA on everything else besides the dust cap and use two different viscosities depending on where it’s going. Which style amazing goop are you using?

It’s a very serious subwoofer in a sealed enclosure. I don’t think I even need to go ported with it. It gets downright violent with my Jeep. I have enough work to do chasing rattles now, for months probably. I wish I would’ve gotten 1500 rms to put on it now. It’s taking everything the 1200 watt skar amp has to give. It’s going to be running hot trying to push this sub.
7ED7D6C3-E3AC-4C5E-8CBC-24D8A8B4B469.jpeg

It’s a very serious subwoofer in a sealed enclosure. I don’t think I even need to go ported with it. It gets downright violent with my Jeep. I have enough work to do chasing rattles now, for months probably. I wish I would’ve gotten 1500 rms to put on it now. It’s taking everything the 1200 watt skar amp has to give. It’s going to be running hot trying to push this sub.
View attachment 34570

sealed is all most would ever need. It still has impressive output, will go stupid low, and will sound good while doing it. 1000w rms is all that is needed but 1200 can easily be done and 1500w rms is doable so long as someone isn’t a total idiot lol. I do an spl version where everything but the motor is changed that can take 1600w rms all day long and go as high as 2000w rms if you know what you’re doing. The step up from that is the next line up which everything is different but to be honest it’s overkill for most. The one above that I never shipped one yet as it’s over 100 pounds for a 15”. I don’t even know how the heck to ship one yet and don’t even wanna know what it would cost lol.

sealed is all most would ever need. It still has impressive output, will go stupid low, and will sound good while doing it. 1000w rms is all that is needed but 1200 can easily be done and 1500w rms is doable so long as someone isn’t a total idiot lol. I do an spl version where everything but the motor is changed that can take 1600w rms all day long and go as high as 2000w rms if you know what you’re doing. The step up from that is the next line up which everything is different but to be honest it’s overkill for most. The one above that I never shipped one yet as it’s over 100 pounds for a 15”. I don’t even know how the heck to ship one yet and don’t even wanna know what it would cost lol.
I like 100 pound woofers :) probably not in my budget anymore but I like to see the booty.

Here's how FI sent me 70 pound BTL4 15's I thought it was pretty solid.

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_181813.jpg
    IMG_20200303_181813.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200303_181723.jpg
    IMG_20200303_181723.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 34
I don’t see any reason to do a ported box for a daily music setup for myself. I’m going to build a ported box anyway for it once I get TS parameters, but that’s just for putting in for a weekend to get metered then swapping it back to the sealed box for daily music. It’s impressive sealed. I’m diggin it. Been pounding on it all afternoon with metal, rap and classic rock/blues. Gotta turn the EQ down to -1 below flat for classic rock and blues on the 32 and 63 HZ bands. I suppose I should install a bass knob. Lol. On metal music it has nice tight sounding bass that kicks hard. It tickles the hairs on the back of my neck with the double bass kick drums. I turn the EQ up on the 32 and 63 hz bands up a couple of clicks to +1 above flat for rap music and it plays down low with authority. I didn’t bother breaking it in, I just went all out balls deep on it for the last 2 hours and the cone is just barely warm to the touch. I’m glad I put it in 2.8 instead of the smaller space I had considered (debated on doing 2.5 instead), because the 1200 watt amp is turned up quite high and i think I could give it a bit more on a limited basis. If I had to just make a guess on a ported enclosure for this, I’d probably do 4 cubes at 30-32 HZ for daily music.

I like 100 pound woofers :) probably not in my budget anymore but I like to see the booty.

Here's how FI sent me 70 pound BTL4 15's I thought it was pretty solid.

thats the way I figured is by building something out of wood. I checked a price out of curiosity and I’m seeing about $220 to ship at a shipping weight of 125 pounds lol. What did one of those sell for? I build another one that is an even 55 pounds.

Attachments

• 820AA5B7-2390-46BF-BE22-4E025F3FB748.jpeg
    820AA5B7-2390-46BF-BE22-4E025F3FB748.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 34
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...