Island precision audio 15

I don’t see any reason to do a ported box for a daily music setup for myself. I’m going to build a ported box anyway for it once I get TS parameters, but that’s just for putting in for a weekend to get metered then swapping it back to the sealed box for daily music. It’s impressive sealed. I’m diggin it. Been pounding on it all afternoon with metal, rap and classic rock/blues. Gotta turn the EQ down to -1 below flat for classic rock and blues on the 32 and 63 HZ bands. I suppose I should install a bass knob. Lol. On metal music it has nice tight sounding bass that kicks hard. It tickles the hairs on the back of my neck with the double bass kick drums. I turn the EQ up on the 32 and 63 hz bands up a couple of clicks to +1 above flat for rap music and it plays down low with authority. I didn’t bother breaking it in, I just went all out balls deep on it for the last 2 hours and the cone is just barely warm to the touch. I’m glad I put it in 2.8 instead of the smaller space I had considered (debated on doing 2.5 instead), because the 1200 watt amp is turned up quite high and i think I could give it a bit more on a limited basis. If I had to just make a guess on a ported enclosure for this, I’d probably do 4 cubes at 30-32 HZ for daily music.

I can promise you if you build the box with an internal volume of 3.75 to 4 cubes with a 6” port tuned to 30-34 hz it will be amazing! I’ve done it all in every size you can image already both sealed and ported lol. I do the same, balls deep right away no babying it at all. After I build them I let them sit a day or two and run them free air on 1200w rms to make sure no funny noises and everything is perfect. I do it for 30-45 min and if all checks out then it’s good. Have you played anything yet that is in the 20’s and 30’s hz range? They are absolutely violent in a box like that in those frequencies! My buddy has an Escalade with 2 15’s in 2.75 cubes each after displacement sealed on a skar 3500d with upgraded electrical. My ears can’t even take it when they drop low, I stick my head out the window cause it hurts lol.

Now I am really interested to see what a pair of 12's in that new ported box I have at 33hz would sound like. Especially with a Cab-45 on them when I pick that up next year. My box was done so a few different subwoofers could go right in with no modifications. Can't remember the cubic feet on it but will know soon. I love my Fi Xv3's so far idk if I would ever switch to something else but what I do know with them setup as Dual 1 ohm with Dual Spiders they can take a lot more then that SIA 3.5K I am throwing at them right now no doubt.

I can promise you if you build the box with an internal volume of 3.75 to 4 cubes with a 6” port tuned to 30-34 hz it will be amazing! I’ve done it all in every size you can image already both sealed and ported lol. I do the same, balls deep right away no babying it at all. After I build them I let them sit a day or two and run them free air on 1200w rms to make sure no funny noises and everything is perfect. I do it for 30-45 min and if all checks out then it’s good. Have you played anything yet that is in the 20’s and 30’s hz range? They are absolutely violent in a box like that in those frequencies! My buddy has an Escalade with 2 15’s in 2.75 cubes each after displacement sealed on a skar 3500d with upgraded electrical. My ears can’t even take it when they drop low, I stick my head out the window cause it hurts lol.
Yeah. I’ve been messing around with test tones on the DSP. The Skar amp is getting hot but the sub isn’t.

thats the way I figured is by building something out of wood. I checked a price out of curiosity and I’m seeing about $220 to ship at a shipping weight of 125 pounds lol. What did one of those sell for? I build another one that is an even 55 pounds.
Baby got back 😍
I picked them up for $519 a piece in January of 2020 and paid $220 for fedex ground shipping for the lot.

Now I am really interested to see what a pair of 12's in that new ported box I have at 33hz would sound like. Especially with a Cab-45 on them when I pick that up next year. My box was done so a few different subwoofers could go right in with no modifications. Can't remember the cubic feet on it but will know soon. I love my Fi Xv3's so far idk if I would ever switch to something else but what I do know with them setup as Dual 1 ohm with Dual Spiders they can take a lot more then that SIA 3.5K I am throwing at them right now no doubt.

12’s would need 2-2.5 cubes each ported. With a cab-45 on a pair I’d use an aluminum wire coil instead and a different spider. This would take xmax from 25mm to 30mm. I’d also swap out the 12 spoke claw style frame and use a Ti or a 6 spoke style. That’s of course if cost is of no concern.

I am running 4.5 cubic feet on the box. Running a SIA 3.5K and it just isn't enough for the Xv3's at this point. Tbh the Cab-22 I have sounded better & cleaner with that half bridge on it. Idk if I would swap them out as I am trying to pay off the cc's right now and once that is done money goes to savings for another new toy and mods for it.

I am running 4.5 cubic feet on the box. Running a SIA 3.5K and it just isn't enough for the Xv3's at this point. Tbh the Cab-22 I have sounded better & cleaner with that half bridge on it. Idk if I would swap them out as I am trying to pay off the cc's right now and once that is done money goes to savings for another new toy and mods for it.

Id be the first one to say to try something new but if you are happy with what you have and don’t have money to burn, there is no point. I’d stick with what you have and just upgrade the amp.

Baby got back 😍
I picked them up for $519 a piece in January of 2020 and paid $220 for fedex ground shipping for the lot.

At $630 a piece shipped each that ain’t bad at all for a sub like that! I gotta check out fedex cause I got the feeling they are the cheapest for shipping now a days!

At $630 a piece shipped each that ain’t bad at all for a sub like that! I gotta check out fedex cause I got the feeling they are the cheapest for shipping now a days!
I dont think fi is currently producing them and I know all shipping costs have spiked. Kinda glad I got the itch when I did lol

I dont think fi is currently producing them and I know all shipping costs have spiked. Kinda glad I got the itch when I did lol

i checked out fedex and it’s $40 cheaper than ups. I’ll be using them from now on! I like shipping 8’s cause you can get them babies in a flat rate box lol. I got a bunch I have to build and that’s the way they will go. You definitely lucked out cause it seems the shipping costs have nearly doubled!

do you have a voltage gauge by chance? If so what’s it reading under draw?
I’m dropping a full volt down to around 13.
05D80DA9-044D-48EF-8619-E12C791A15D3.jpeg

going down to 13.5v shouldn’t cause it to get hot. How hot we talking here? Can you keep your hand on it or is it too hot for that. Mine doesn’t get hot enough to where I can’t touch it. Now that it’s getting cold it really doesn’t get that hot at all. In the summer different story.
It’s just hot to the touch. Not hot enough to fry it. I played it hard for probably 3 hours also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...