is there a substitute for 0 gauge wire?

OP car audio 1/0 is oversized and is more like 2/0 cable. Welding cable is true AWG since it has to meet up with electrical standards (american wire gauge). That's why 1/0 car audio cable is the same thing as 2/0 welding.

so what would be the max rateing for that welding wire? the **** i got in my car is some cheap stuff i got from walmart rated at 600 watt max

so what would be the max rateing for that welding wire? the **** i got in my car is some cheap stuff i got from walmart rated at 600 watt max
1/0 wire is rated for 300amps at 20ft

4gauge rated 150amps at 20ft

8gauge 60amps

10gauge 30amps

Round about sometimes you can pull a little more in a car due to the lengths being shorter

[quote name='PIMPSLAPN']so what would be the max rateing for that welding wire? the **** i got in my car is some cheap stuff i got from walmart rated at 600 watt max[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear that.... That being said. You'll be fine with 8 gauge wire. I'm not sure why you're under the impression you'd need 0 gauge. If you plan on upgrading down the line, I'd suggest some 4 gauge or 0 gauge. But on that walmart 600wMAX junk, 8 gauge will be fine. @RAM_Designs can get you some great prices on 8 gauge wire.

thing is im putting 4 15s in there an im thinking i would need 0 gauge since my current wire is ratted at 600 watts

the **** on the box said rated at 600 watts i still aint sure about what amp im gonna get
Because a lot of new car audio people looking for wire kits are going to go to walmart and see the number of watts on the kit and know what to go for, compared to if they saw the packaged says rated for 60 amps, they might be like da fuq

And it doesn't really matter the amount of subs you get to determine what size power wire you need, it's based on how much power your amp is putting out. You could very well put four 15s on 200 watts and wouldn't need big wire.

I think you should do a bit of reading before you decided to do a build with four 15s.

the wal-mart box means its rated for a 600w amp, that is not the limit of the wire itself. true 8ga wire is rated @ 60a which equates to ROUGHLY 600w, there are almost NO AMPS that will drive 4 15s properly that you should be running 8ga into.

the **** on the box said rated at 600 watts i still aint sure about what amp im gonna get
That's because you got it at Walmart and they sell bullshit. I run welding cable. It's as good or better than most of the car audio specific wire. You need to figure out the amp, or at least an approximate total RMS wattage so you can figure out what wire (and how many runs) you will need.

i knew it was cheap wire when i bought it but my stock system was drivein me crazy i got a amp from my dad that was made in 1997 (kak-606 300watt) plus old *** pyle 15 that was for home audio (actually dont sound bad considering) 50 dollas total in my system so far.. im gettin 4 of them cheap *** boss audio 15s (sayn **** my back seat).. i know what yall gonna say boss is ******** but.. its all i can afford an i seen a youtube video with 4 12s boss an was flexin the **** out the car so idk also heard if you hook them up right boss audio subs will last an have descent sound quality.. what yall think what is gonna pound harder 2 good 15s or 4 boss audio 15s?

Amazon.com: Boss P156DVC Phantom 15" Subwoofer Dual 4ohm Voice Coils: Car Electronics

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

wow look at all them bleeps **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.