I got the upgrade bug! Recommendations please?

ledvedder
10+ year member

NJ
I've been reading a lot about car audio on these forums and a few others around. I recently installed a Clarion CZ702 Clarion U.S.A. | CZ702, and now I'd like to upgrade the factory speakers. I have a Dodge Caravan with 6 speakers (6x9 rear and front door, 5 1/4 in the dash). I keep seeing a bunch of stuff concerning coaxial vs. component, active vs. passive, etc. Well, I figured I'd ask the experts what they would recommend. I don't have a very high budget, but I'd like to get a decent sounding system. I don't think I want to add a sub. I also don't want to do too much modifications to the van. I mostly listen to rock and metal.

to get good sound you will either need very low powered speakers(10W)running off the HU and have it sound meh? or decent speakers off an amp and have it sound great!

The Clarion has an amp built in.

"50W × 4 with MOS-FET Power Amp

CZ702 has a MOS-FET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) power amplifier capable of delivering 50W x 4 of high quality sound with superior linearity and less distortion than conventional power amps even with the volume cranked up."

The Clarion has an amp built in.
"50W × 4 with MOS-FET Power Amp

CZ702 has a MOS-FET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) power amplifier capable of delivering 50W x 4 of high quality sound with superior linearity and less distortion than conventional power amps even with the volume cranked up."
All head units have amps built in. And the 50 watts you are seeing is the "peak" out put. What you need to look at is RMS output. You need to completely disregard peak output as it has no real value when comparing and shopping and piecing together a system. That Clarion is likely between 14-22wrms (that's watts RMS).

An amp in the real/traditional sense is a separate box which connects to the head unit with RCA (red and white) cables. Then it amplifies that signal and send it to your speakers through speaker wire. Also, amps have a power wire run to your car's battery, and a ground wire run to your car's frame/chassis. The type of amp you need if you are looking to power all four of your door speakers is a 4-channel amp. That means it outputs power to four speakers. Spending less than $100 on a 4-channel amp will get you nothing but a pile of poop. You might be able to connect an amp to your stock speakers, but you risk blowing them by giving them 45-110 wrms rather than the 14-22 wrms from the head unit. So you should upgrade your speakers too. Go to crutchfield.com and put in your vehicle and they will tell you what fits.

Pretty soon you will be spending all your pay checks on car audio... look at my sig. I just started doing car audio this summer haha. I already got $1500+ into my system (not to mention countless hours of install and research) but I also never want to leave my car!

6x9 components in the frt doors and 6x9 subs inn the rear.5 1/4 mids in the dash.get an amp to power all the 6x9's and run the mids off the deck

6x9 components in the frt doors and 6x9 subs inn the rear.5 1/4 mids in the dash.get an amp to power all the 6x9's and run the mids off the deck
Do you have any model recommendations for the speakers and the amp?

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for super loud sound. It's a minivan, a family vehicle, that I have my kids in 50% of the time. I'd just like a nice, full sound that is clear and crisp.

what i sent you will do what you want .instead of the 4 channel ,you could do a 5 channel amp so that you can amp all the speakers and have mono block power for the 2 6x9 subs

Even a small 8" sub hidden, would greatly help out your sound and won't take up much space, just my .02.

I would delete the dash speakers, unless they are aimed at the knees, a lot of times they can destroy a sound quality system. I would also switch over to a 6.5 Component system in the front doors to give yourself more options and definitely amp them, sound quality goes up 10 fold on even the cheapest stuff when you amp it.

Ok, so what lower priced 6.5s would you guys recommend for the front? Also, should I just stay with 6x9 coaxials in the rear?

That depends on you. Do you want speakers in the rear or no? You said you have your kids in there a lot, so I would think you want some sound right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ledvedder

10+ year member
ledvedder
NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from